Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 32,381 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just wanted to pitch with the point of view as a resident of RiverPark. I purchased a single family home one year ago (made by Shea Homes). I'm very happy with RiverPark and I think in 5 years it will be a really great area. I'm hoping once RiverPark and the Wagon Wheel development is finished, the value of my home will increase.

Although my address is in Oxnard, I never have the need to venture into the heart of the city so people's issues with it have never really been a problem for me. I work in Ventura, do my grocery shopping there, etc (until Whole Foods is done!) and I have never felt unsafe or felt like there were "gang-bangers" hanging out in RiverPark. I happen to LIKE El Rio, thank you very much - there are some great little Hispanic markets where you can get produce for much cheaper than the big supermarkets.

Overall RiverPark is great - nice walking trails, plenty of off street parking (most of the townhomes have alley access so people don't crowd the streets), nice parks and the shopping center will be fabulous - Whole Foods is confirmed, PF Changs, Cheescake Factory are a possibility. I don't have children but there will be three schools total - 2 elementary and 1 junior high so I think that will help the home values. I think the whole Riverpark/Wagon Wheel/101 FWY area will become really nice in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 07:57 PM

299 posts, read 1,152,821 times
Default Oxnard Riverpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalnative80 View Post
Hi, I just wanted to pitch with the point of view as a resident of RiverPark. I purchased a single family home one year ago (made by Shea Homes). I'm very happy with RiverPark and I think in 5 years it will be a really great area. I'm hoping once RiverPark and the Wagon Wheel development is finished, the value of my home will increase.

Overall RiverPark is great - nice walking trails, plenty of off street parking (most of the townhomes have alley access so people don't crowd the streets), nice parks and the shopping center will be fabulous - Whole Foods is confirmed, PF Changs, Cheescake Factory are a possibility. I don't have children but there will be three schools total - 2 elementary and 1 junior high so I think that will help the home values. I think the whole Riverpark/Wagon Wheel/101 FWY area will become really nice in a few years.
Overall RiverPark is great - nice walking trails, plenty of off street parking (most of the townhomes have alley access so people don't crowd the streets), nice parks and the shopping center will be fabulous - Whole Foods is confirmed, PF Changs, Cheescake Factory are a possibility. I don't have children but there will be three schools total - 2 elementary and 1 junior high so I think that will help the home values. I think the whole Riverpark/Wagon Wheel/101 FWY area will become really nice in a few years.[/quote]

Hope I'm not being too rude by asking if you would share some info with us regarding the costs i.e. cost of your house and some est. of what one would be looking at for a mortage payment.

Thanks !

jOE

Old 09-17-2008, 10:20 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,074,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalnative80 View Post
Although my address is in Oxnard, I never have the need to venture into the heart of the city so people's issues with it have never really been a problem for me.
Respectfully, you're missing out on some great things by "never" venturing into the city where you live -- downtown, historic district, harbor and beaches. Add to this farmers markets, open-air concerts, frequent festivals, arts events, international films, etc. Riverpark and the soon-to-be nicely redeveloped Wagon Wheel aren't materializing out of thin air. Someone had the vision to plan and approve those projects. Those same "someone" have also been busy working on positive changes in other areas of the city.

Things to do in Oxnard: Oxnard Convention and Visitors Bureau - Oxnard, California (http://visitoxnard.com/latino_heritage_6.html - broken link).

Last edited by Winston Smith; 09-17-2008 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Things to do

Old 10-06-2008, 02:46 AM

1 posts, read 6,555 times
Default oxnard crime rate

from chief of police:

We are heading in the right direction. With the hard work of our officers and a wonderful partnership with our residents we have accomplished a lot in recent years. Many people don't realize that Oxnard is the largest coastal city between Los Angeles and San Jose with the population of Oxnard is over 186,000 people. In 2004 Oxnard ranked as the 5th safest city in the United States among cities with population between 150,000 and 200,000.

The crime rate in Oxnard has dropped nearly 60% since 1992 with violent crime dropping by more than 50% since 1992. Oxnard's residential burglary rate has declined by more than 80% since the inception of the City's nationally recognized neighborhood watch program.

Oxnard's crime rate is lower than many cities in California including Anaheim, Beverly Hills, Costa Mesa, Manhattan Beach, Monterey, Newport Beach, Palm Springs, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz and Ventura.

We have come a long way but we have more to do. I believe that our City staff and our residents will continue to work together to make Oxnard even safer.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:25 AM

3 posts, read 14,109 times
With all respect moogy, cause i think what you guys do is amazing and I have the up most respect for cops. I dont feel safe here, when woman are being shot in the face and people are getting killed at ATM's and in areas that you kind of have no choice but to drive through if you want to go to the local stores. And those numbers you are quoting vary from year to year. I used to live in a sketchy part of NYC and I feel less safe in Oxnard. I would say to anyone considering a move to Oxnard with kids, you also better look at the school systems too.

And cre8, do you by any chance work for the city of Oxnard?

California School Performance Maps
Crime Tracker: Ventura County Star

Old 10-09-2008, 12:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,074,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenZone View Post
And cre8, do you by any chance work for the city of Oxnard?
No, I don't work for the City of Oxnard (I'm self employed), but I have lived and worked continuously in various parts of west Ventura County and south Santa Barbara County for more than 20 years. Because of my experience in the area, I know that a lot of the negativity about Oxnard is hugely blown out of proportion. Moreover, the efforts on the part of Oxnard over the past few years have had very positive impacts on the city.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 24,312 times
I ended up buying a condo in Riverpark and have no regrets. I love the community and the parks. I cant wait for Whole Foods and the rest of the town center to open. Ill be having my first baby in December and do not feel unsafe raising her here. There are alot other children that live in this area and many of my neighbors have brand new babies. I do not feel unsafe in Oxnard and I go into the city often. Downtown Oxnard is actually pretty nice and Ventura is only one exit away. If you want to buy in Riverpark you should. It's a great place to live!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,318 times
Default Riverpark is worth looking at!

The Riverpark community and neighbors have been very proactive in keeping their community safe, and free of crime and gang & graffiti activity's. They have a active neighborhood watch program. View Riverpark's watch site at [URL="http://www.riverparknw.com/"]. Because it is a fairly close nit community, you do get to know your neighbors, their cars, their dogs, and their kids. You see & know who belongs, and who doesn't. The location really is ideal, minutes to the freeway, shopping, restraunts, etc. Your pick of beaches are just 5 or 10 minutes away. Santa Barbara, or L.A. are just a short drive away either way. Riverpark Community really is coming together as planned. It may have slowed a bit during these times, but it does continue to build and grow.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:11 PM

299 posts, read 1,152,821 times
SBRN & Live'n Good,

Both of your posts sound very good and the NWP website was excellent. To either of your knowledge is there any website that I may visit to check on rental or purchase prices?

You might remember or might not, that I/we are presently living in the Philippines, actually for the past 20 years now, and won't be moving to Ventura County until 2012. Right now we are planning to rent for the first year and then purchase a single family home. Still, I want to start tracking such things so when I make my pre-move visit in 2011 I will have all my ducks in a row so as to maximize my time there.

Thanks!

jOE

Old 11-14-2008, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,306 times
Joe,I suggest you contact the three builders for prices, although they will surely change in a few years when you plan to move. The builders are Centex, Shea and Standard Pacific. You can also refer to the Riverpark website for additional information. [url=http://www.riverparklife.com]New Ventura County Homes in Oxnard :: RiverPark[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County