Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
This selection advantage didn't affect my nephew who is from Sacramento. He was accepted at both Berkeley and Davis. He choose Berkeley.

UC Davis is 12 miles from Downtown SAC, so beyond the research and med schools and the huge UC hospital-campus located in Sacramento (2 miles from the Capitol), there are regular cultural and sporting events that are a short drive away such as the world class Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts.

The world famous Emergency Vet Hospital on the UC Davis campus is a real option for Sacramento pet owners, as well.

A university located 65 miles away is going to have little impact on the community other than "research". It's not like you are going to go to the basketball game at UC Merced, or decide last minute to attend a college play 65 miles away.
There are more benefits for Fresno than you might think. It's more of a valley partnership as it's the only UC here in the central valley.

UC Merced and Fresno Unified Leverage Resources to Increase Rate of Valley Grads Going to College | University of California, Merced

Fresno Center | University of California, Merced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Funny how UC Davis is actually in the Central Valley...

Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2675 View Post

In other areas, I prefer Fresno weather because Sacramento feels hotter due to its greater humidity and you guys receive more rainfall than us.[/i]
I have to disagree with you about summer weather, Sacramento hands down is much more comfortable than Fresno.

"The "Sacramento Delta breeze", which comes in from SF Bay, brings cooler temperatures and higher humidity -- in this case the humidity is a welcome relief combined with the wind to counter the dry warm air. The delta breeze is gusty with wind speed to up to 30*mph in Sacramento and up to 45*mph in the delta region which is always breezy. This breeze can also bring morning low clouds at times into the region but the clouds generally burn off quickly and temperatures stay cool".

"Heat waves rarely last more than three to five days in Sacramento because as hot air builds over California's interior valleys, cold ocean air is sucked inland through the Sacramento river delta, acting as natural air conditioning and dropping the temperature sharply".

While the San Joaquin Valley suffers throughout the night with stiffling heat, Sacramento by nightfall is on average 15 degrees cooler.

June, July, Aug Average Temps throughout the day:

Fresno - Low: 64, Noon: 80, High: 96, Midnight: 81,
High/Low combined: 160

Sacramento - Low: 55, Noon: 73, High: 90, Midnight: 69,
High/Low combined: 145

Sacramento receives on average 7 inches more rain per year than Fresno; a good thing as it keeps Sacramento greener and Folsom Lake full.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Sacramento receives on average 7 inches more rain per year than Fresno; a good thing as it keeps Sacramento greener and Folsom Lake full.
Which often blows-in horizontally collapsing umbrellas, filling your shoes and flooding city streets due to leaf-clogged storm drains. Ah, the memories, and not bad ones at that.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Which often blows-in horizontally collapsing umbrellas, filling your shoes and flooding city streets due to leaf-clogged storm drains. Ah, the memories, and not bad ones at that.
Well, we use what water we get to feed y'all hungry people.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:32 PM

46 posts, read 71,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Funny how UC Davis is actually in the Central Valley...
It's not in the San Joaquin valley though and not the Bay Area either. To me Central Valley is an almost vacuous term except for it meaning a mega-flat region that is super involved in agriculture and away from the more vibrant areas along the coast.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I have to disagree with you about summer weather, Sacramento hands down is much more comfortable than Fresno.

"The "Sacramento Delta breeze", which comes in from SF Bay, brings cooler temperatures and higher humidity -- in this case the humidity is a welcome relief combined with the wind to counter the dry warm air. The delta breeze is gusty with wind speed to up to 30*mph in Sacramento and up to 45*mph in the delta region which is always breezy. This breeze can also bring morning low clouds at times into the region but the clouds generally burn off quickly and temperatures stay cool".

"Heat waves rarely last more than three to five days in Sacramento because as hot air builds over California's interior valleys, cold ocean air is sucked inland through the Sacramento river delta, acting as natural air conditioning and dropping the temperature sharply".

While the San Joaquin Valley suffers throughout the night with stiffling heat, Sacramento by nightfall is on average 15 degrees cooler.

June, July, Aug Average Temps throughout the day:

Fresno - Low: 64, Noon: 80, High: 96, Midnight: 81,
High/Low combined: 160

Sacramento - Low: 55, Noon: 73, High: 90, Midnight: 69,
High/Low combined: 145

Look the rain part isn't even what I noticed, it was more the humidity. And yes, if you look at the stats its not a major deal different, but I did feel the greater humidity in Sacramento when I was there in July. Humidity is just something I am sensitive too. I also flew from Fresno to Kansas City the next month in August and felt Kansas City to be hotter than Fresno, too, but the temperatures in Kansas City were probably cooler than Sacramento if anything. Again, I was talking about personal preference.

And just to clarify, I do think Sacramento is a bit better than Fresno, but I like Fresno more personally and I was just trying to say they are close enough that it makes perfect sense why some people would think that. I don't know why that bothers people, but I guess it's because no one wants to be compared with a misunderstood and severely underrated city like Fresno.

Last edited by mak2675; 03-07-2013 at 02:52 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Look the rain part isn't even what I noticed, it was more the humidity. And yes, if you look at the stats its not a major deal different, but I did feel the greater humidity in Sacramento when I was there in July. Humidity is just something I am sensitive too. I also flew from Fresno to Kansas City the next month in August and felt Kansas City to be hotter than Fresno, too, but the temperatures in Kansas City were probably cooler than Sacramento if anything. Again, I was talking about personal preference.

And just to clarify, I do think Sacramento is a bit better than Fresno, but I like Fresno more personally and I was just trying to say they are close enough that it makes perfect sense why some people would think that. I don't know why that bothers people, but I guess it's because no one wants to be compared with a misunderstood and severely underrated city like Fresno.
First of all, Sacramento is not humid compared to the rest of the nation. Sacramento's humidity in the summer is around 15-30%, near perfect. You don't want it bone dry like Phoenix and Vegas 5-10%. Nor do you want it in the 45-90% range when the temps get above 75 degrees - like the rest of the nation, minus alpine areas and the PNW.

Sacramento's heat is dry and it gets drier when the temps approach the 90's to 100 (which is alot less common than people realize). The humidity we get is a very cool moist wind from the very cold Pacific which has the effect of making a dry warm day, very cool and comfortable all night and morning. It's a regular occurrence as common as the fog blows into SF Bay. And it picks up speed has it is funneled through the Sacramento Delta on its way to Sacramento.

Have you ever been on a sail boat near the Golden Gate with the fog and wind in June, July and August; its freezing! That cold (humid) wind goes straight up the Sacramento Delta and a has huge impact on the comfort level Sacramento experiences compared to the rest of the Sacramento/San Joaquin Valley.

Fresno is too far away from the SF Bay/Sacto Delta for the cold moist wind to have any dramatic impact in cooling the Southern San Joaquin Valley.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
It's not in the San Joaquin valley though and not the Bay Area either. To me Central Valley is an almost vacuous term except for it meaning a mega-flat region that is super involved in agriculture and away from the more vibrant areas along the coast.
There's a fair amount of interesting stuff in the Central Valley. But yeah, it's a bit like flyover America in that it is drive through California. I prefer the Bay and Sierras to the Valley as well.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
First of all, Sacramento is not humid compared to the rest of the nation. Sacramento's humidity in the summer is around 15-30%, near perfect. You don't want it bone dry like Phoenix and Vegas 5-10%. Nor do you want it in the 45-90% range when the temps get above 75 degrees - like the rest of the nation, minus alpine areas and the PNW.

Sacramento's heat is dry and it gets drier when the temps approach the 90's to 100 (which is alot less common than people realize). The humidity we get is a very cool moist wind from the very cold Pacific which has the effect of making a dry warm day, very cool and comfortable all night and morning. It's a regular occurrence as common as the fog blows into SF Bay. And it picks up speed has it is funneled through the Sacramento Delta on its way to Sacramento.

Have you ever been on a sail boat near the Golden Gate with the fog and wind in June, July and August; its freezing! That cold (humid) wind goes straight up the Sacramento Delta and a has huge impact on the comfort level Sacramento experiences compared to the rest of the Sacramento/San Joaquin Valley.

Fresno is too far away from the SF Bay/Sacto Delta for the cold moist wind to have any dramatic impact in cooling the Southern San Joaquin Valley.
Ya I hear ya, but again your talking to someone who thinks that Seattle at even around 80 (about the year high) feels about as bad as Fresno in June and they have the pacific winds. I don't do too well in Milwaukee, as well and that is pretty humid, too. I figure Lake Michigan should be sending breezes there in the summer, too. Granted, Sacramento is not a humid city compared to the rest of the country and I don't want others to anticipate earth scorching temperatures. My impression was based on my last time being up there and this was in July, too (on my road trip up to Portland and then Seattle). My comment in retrospect was more about Fresno's dryness anyways.

I haven't been to San Francisco in a long time. I usually wave it goodbye on the way to Seattle but I will note the wind next time I'm in the Fog City, which should be very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California