Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times

Advertisements

If i were going to live in that area, i would look for a home in rural SLO, or rural Paso Robles. You will get more warmth & sunshine.

If a drive doesn't bother you, you might be able to find something out towards Lake Nacimiento, or San Antonio Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 04:19 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
You will get more warmth & sunshine
In summer. In winter it gets cold out there, a friend called me from Shandon today complaining of the cold, it was 65 on the coast. Winter also gets a bit of the cold high pressure fog common to the Central Valley.

My sister in Atascadero complains of the cold all winter. On the coast we seldom use our furnace...

Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
SLO county has around 250,000 people today, when I was a kid, 80,000. I preferred it then. We played tom sawyer in our creek, not quite the Mississippi
With that miniscule population and as large as SLO County is it must have felt empty. How did you survive with no Malls or shopping? It must have been awful. The City would have run screaming to LA if he lived back in those days!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
With that miniscule population and as large as SLO County is it must have felt empty. How did you survive with no Malls or shopping? It must have been awful. The City would have run screaming to LA if he lived back in those days!
Hey now, we had three little grocery stores downtown, plus the meat market. They are all gone now, thanks to the supermarkets that came in. We used to have a mens store, where I could buy my boyscout gear, jeans, and church clothes, there was a woman's store, all the family mom and pops went under when Walmart came in. Sad eh?

Interesting though, even today 90% of the population is within 5 miles of 101 and or the coast. The interior is still a land of large ranches, some Mexican land grants that still exist, and government land. We have around 300,000 acres of wilderness.

I think "The City" would have had a rough time with us "hicks".

There is a story, probably not true, but a good story.

In 1968 a bus load of Berkeley anti war protestors was known to be coming to Cal Poly to stir up the place. The story goes, that a bunch of Cal Poly aggies drove up to Cuesta Grade, forced the bus to a stop, gave the "hippies" hair cuts with sheep shears and turned them around.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:02 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
In summer. In winter it gets cold out there, a friend called me from Shandon today complaining of the cold, it was 65 on the coast. Winter also gets a bit of the cold high pressure fog common to the Central Valley.

My sister in Atascadero complains of the cold all winter. On the coast we seldom use our furnace...
Very few places will be warm all the time, throughout the year. We fished both lakes & around Arroyo Seco. We often had sun during the day, even at times during winter months. After the fog burned off.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I grew up on the central coast and am getting ready to start a new life on the east coast next month. I've lived in nearly every city (barring AG) and liked Morro Bay the least, if I'm being honest. It's great for raising a family, but for someone in their mid to late 20s trying to start a career and perhaps meet someone to start a family with it can be stagnant.

It's a beautiful area, don't get me wrong...but it's not for everyone. Personally, I can't wait to leave, though I do love it here.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:58 PM

21 posts, read 47,837 times
Thank you everyone for the input. We actually are signing a lease this weekend. We are beyond excited to call Morro Bay our home. We met the staff over at Del Mar Elementary and everyone was so kind and welcoming. We are so grateful we found someone who would accept our dog too, that's a near miracle. We have been trying to move since July. I always appreciate the feedback I get her on the forum.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Very few places will be warm all the time, throughout the year. We fished both lakes & around Arroyo Seco. We often had sun during the day, even at times during winter months. After the fog burned off.
This is why my family is partial to "the Shire" Any given day year round will be 65 to 75. Seldom below or above that.

To the newcomer to Morro Bay, You will love it there. Eat fresh fish just off the boat. (Locals Secret, Taco Temple) Hike the sand spit, hike Montana De Oro, visit the Elephant Seals, wander the shops in Cambria (if you get there before Halloween, hundreds of scare crows will greet you, very cool) When the storms come, go down to the rock and breakwater and watch the waves crash over.

On a nice day, kayak the harbor.

for a great over view, hike up Cerro Alto.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:13 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
I lived in Baywood Park. Foggiest nine months of my life. I was glad i drove into SLO every day to warm up. THe fog would clear off midday but then scoot back in at night. I must say though, the "soil" did produce some great strawberries and broccli. Couldn't get anything else to grow there.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:16 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
One must keep in mind, that summer is generally the fog season, winters except during storms are typically clear.
As Mark Twain said about San Francisco, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"
Mark Twain actually never said that, nor many of the other sayings people attribute to him.

snopes.com: Mark Twain on Coldest Winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California