Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:33 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,594,541 times

Advertisements

The use of plastic bags is banned or limited in 30 California jurisdictions, with another 55 considering proposals.

I don't think it's going to fly in Chico. Even our local eco-sustainable-organic-earth-mama-hippy store provides plastic bags. I asked for one the other day, and whispered to the pretty young clerk that I didn't mind using plastic once in a while. She looked both ways, leaned forward, then whispered back that she didn't mind either. Love Chico.

But don't try this in Portland.

EcoTalibans - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,310,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
The use of plastic bags is banned or limited in 30 California jurisdictions, with another 55 considering proposals.

I don't think it's going to fly in Chico. Even our local eco-sustainable-organic-earth-mama-hippy store provides plastic bags. I asked for one the other day, and whispered to the pretty young clerk that I didn't mind using plastic once in a while. She looked both ways, leaned forward, then whispered back that she didn't mind either. Love Chico.

But don't try this in Portland.

EcoTalibans - YouTube
Lol. Funny video. Our bag ban goes into effect 2013.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:08 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,594,541 times
Glad you liked the video. These people can parody liberals as only insiders can.

I didn't think Texas would go for plastic bag bans either, but then I guess Austin isn't really in Texas from what I hear.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Glad you liked the video. These people can parody liberals as only insiders can.

I didn't think Texas would go for plastic bag bans either, but then I guess Austin isn't really in Texas from what I hear.
You've heard correctly

Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,656,030 times
Plastic bags, unlike true love, are forever, time for them to be gone.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Amen

Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,543,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Actually, that's 100% incorrect.

Plastic bags are 100% recyclable, we (as a society) just don't recycle them, and even when we try, others come along and thwart our efforts.

I made a very long, well laid out argument some time ago in the LA forum when they banned plastic bags in Santa Monica, and no one seemed to want to touch the subject - mainly because I pointed out that the reason these bags end up littered is due to the homeless and immigrant problem we have, but that's besides the point.

I have almost zero issue with fighting waste, in fact, I love the idea finding ways to recycle and reuse things - but - it would have been nice if some other routes were tried before an all out ban.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,970,350 times
Actually the plastic bag ban originated in Ireland. The bags would get caught up in waterways and pollute the beauty of the landscape. The wind would forever be blowing those things around and they'd get caught on any fence and make everything look dirty. It's honestly not a big deal over there..or France, or Spain, etc. We'd just kept a bunch of reusable bags in our cars...I still do it today. I don't know why people here get their panties in a bunch over these things that will not decompose and rely on fossil fuels to create. Foolish to be irritated by something so inconsequential.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:14 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,543,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Actually the plastic bag ban originated in Ireland. The bags would get caught up in waterways and pollute the beauty of the landscape. The wind would forever be blowing those things around and they'd get caught on any fence and make everything look dirty. It's honestly not a big deal over there..or France, or Spain, etc. We'd just kept a bunch of reusable bags in our cars...I still do it today. I don't know why people here get their panties in a bunch over these things that will not decompose and rely on fossil fuels to create. Foolish to be irritated by something so inconsequential.
dejavu.

Okay. here we go again.

I have 2 huge dogs. And 2 houses and a condo full of small trash cans. Prior to these bans, we used "single use" plastic bags to pick up our dog's 'business' and line our small trash cans. Now, we buy other plastic products purpose made for these tasks. Not only do they cost me extra money (non really an issue), but they create the same waste, and TRULY are single use. We've taken a 'product' that some marking company called "single use", which in all reality was VERY far from "single use", and replaced it with a bunch of purpose made products which actually ARE single use.

Now, I'll wait for the arguments to come that I don't need to line my trash cans with plastic bags, and I don't need to use plastic to pick up my dog's ****, to which I will use the argument I made in the last thread - by all means, anyone who wishes to come empty my trash or pick up after my dog, you are more than willing. Until then, I will handle my personal business as I see fit. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:24 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,326,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
dI will handle my personal business as I see fit. Thanks.
Don't you mean your dog's personal business?

What is interesting is that stores used to provide paper bags and later went to plastic; both at no cost to the patron. Now we get paper and have to pay for it?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California