Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:53 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I suggest you spend some time at tax foundation . org,, your thinking is in error.

My wife and I moved here from another state upon retirement. No other state offers the variety of stuff to do and visit.

I don't expect to go to Texas unless god discovers all my sins when I croak.

Choosing a state for the quality of its healthcare strikes me as odd, 50 years of life in the Sierra Nevada would be far better than 150 years of life in gawdforsaken Texas.
Who cares if you will never end up in Texas that is not the topic here? Really no one cares.

Where did I say that one should choose a state just because of its medical care? But I will tell you one thing if I ever needed serious medical care no matter where I am on this planet...I am taking myself the Texas Medical Center in Houston!

You are a person who has never lived in Houston or Dallas or Austin and so you really should stop trying to be the spokesperson for TX. You have zero clue about what it is like to live there. You only imagine and believe me your imagination is way off.

If find it odd that you would keep bashing a place that you have never lived in or will never live in. Very strange.

You really should focus your concerns on the issues of CA as there are plenty to be concerned about. TX is doing just fine and besides you will never help them to fix anything so why even talk about them? Does it make you feel like big man to put down a state that you will never live in?

My tax thinking is right on.

I suggest you spend some time on here to educate yourself about State to State taxes. Taxes by State

Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM

249 posts, read 392,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
There are still a great many places in California where a couple can retire quite reasonably and live an excellent quality of life, with good services near by (medical, sports teams, theaters, museums, parks, beaches, etc...), and not pay a lot in taxes. If you make about the median then the taxes between the supposedly low tax and supposedly high tax states is very minimal. Personally, if I was retiring I would much rather live in beautiful California enjoying the wonderful weather and excellent quality of life rather than living in a hot barren hell hole with no amenities like Texas just to save 1%-2%.

That's just me though.
Your absolutely correct. I have being " eyeing" .highnlite country for several years now to retire to in about 10 years or so. The problem is none of my adult children want to return there ( all native born, mostly raised outside California) as they perceive a better QOL outside California. They are all college educated, non tech types who can afford to buy a home and raise a family outside of California but would probably struggle to do so anywhere desirable to live in state. My wife wants to be around as many of her kids/grandkids in her old age as she can. So we just bought a small ( 18 acre) piece of farmland here in the Southeast, about 10 miles from two world class tertiary care medical centers. Will build a home on it in the next few years that we can live in until they drag us off to the nursing home/cemetery. Wife has already transferred her retirement money from CALPERS ( she left it there for years in anticipation of a return) to our current state retirement fund. No doubt I would prefer a small place in southern Monterey, SB, or SLO counties, but if the kids won't follow what have we gained?

Last edited by WeakandDizzy; 08-08-2012 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: change county to plural form, I refuse to change " eyeing" even though it is not a real word!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:59 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I suggest you spend some time at tax foundation . org,, your thinking is in error.

My wife and I moved here from another state upon retirement. No other state offers the variety of stuff to do and visit.

I don't expect to go to Texas unless god discovers all my sins when I croak.

Choosing a state for the quality of its healthcare strikes me as odd, 50 years of life in the Sierra Nevada would be far better than 150 years of life in gawdforsaken Texas.
No, actually you are incorrect. The other poster, TVC15, was right, especially because many other states don't tax pensions.

And the difference in taxes between a state like California, vs states like South Carolina, Alabama, Pennsylvania or Tennesee can be quite a bit for retirees.

And I suggest you get out a calculator and figure it out for yourself, instead of repeatedly referencing another site.

I've run the numbers many times, and frequently the combination of sales taxes, income taxes and property taxes is more than double the other states, for retirees with somewhat above average income.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Immigrants with money. Come on down! It will be a nice change from the norm.
Points for 1Angry being a gracious citizen welcoming newcomers ... a man with open arms ... an asset to the world community

Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Nope, just makes me laugh how obnoxious you came off trying to spin my posts into "off topic" and "unrelated to your original post", when you spent the last two pages debating about something completely unrelated.

Its okay though, the internet (especially forums) cannot be taken too seriously, and those that do need to reevaluate their priorities. I will take a second to thank you though, your attempts to insult and talk down to me have provided excellent entertainment, while I worry increasing my own worth and do my best to better society on my own (yes, something that can be done without the aide of our all knowing government).
I agree 100% this forum is pure entertainment.

Too bad you interpret my explanations as "obnoxious", "insulting", and "talking down" to you, though. You see, I didn't accuse you of being off-topic ... I pointed out (correctly) that your own responses were missing my point in submitting this topic / thread ... and I re-explained my position in a perfectly even tone several times to clarify. That said, what do you call the tone of your first two responses here? 'Snarky' fit? I didn't respond to you in similar kind.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 08-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: topic, not posters

Old 08-08-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Well that ain't gonna happen! If the rich don't come to live in California then the illegals and welfare recipients willl relocate to other sunnier climates.
My bright idea is that with all the South of the Border types no longer there, it makes the southern locales pretty attractive.

A friend just retired from the US Postal Service. He has a nice pension. He is moving back to his roots in the Phillipines. I asked why after so many years in America he would make such a leap. His reply was, "I can live a much higher lifestyle. Medical care is pretty good now and where else can I have a mansion, a cook, maid and chauffeur?"

So , it all appears to be relative. The French millionaires may find California to be their own slice of the third world.
Direct hit, Dean!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason42 View Post
The relative lack of retorts on this tread troubles me... I'm sure more than it does Nullgeo...

hmmm, but I believe I understand why....

In months and years past, I likely would have taken Null's bait (or similar taunt from the "California cheerleaders")...

...but I.... ...I yield... ...I cannot delude myself further...

...you "win"; I will quietly continue to work and save; but I will eventually "shrug" and argue with my feet...

Truthfully, I have no choice... My profession and that of my wife's will soon no longer be rewarded in this state.

I will not argue. You win Nullgeo...

I only hope that the silence is a retort you will ponder.
Reason, you and I have enjoyed a few of each others' posts in the past ... and we have crossed horns a few times on others. In this case, I agree you seem to understand the relativity of it all ... the inverse of the old saying "one man's meat is another man's poison" comes to mind: One man's poison is another man's meat.

And therein lies the essence of the thread:
California, while not being the best place for everybody (thank god), nevertheless is a great place for many yet to come. There are untold great numbers of successful, highly competent people working -- and paying -- productively in many other places with higher taxation. Yet they stay and endure in countries that do not go to ruin. So it is with California.

France has far greater tax burdens than California, yet remains the world's 5th leading economy in spite of that reality. The state of California has the world's 8th leading economy levels (well, it varies between 7th and 10th depending on criteria and year), with lower taxes than #3 Japan (50% tax) #4 Germany (45% tax), #5 France (up to 75% proposed), #6 United Kingdom (50% tax) ... etc ... and yet many here are convinced the state faces ruin if taxes aren't lowed to become more business friendly.

(#2, btw, is China ... no need to discuss taxation under communist regime.)

Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
And therein lies the essence of the thread:
California, while not being the best place for everybody (thank god), nevertheless is a great place for many yet to come. There are untold great numbers of successful, highly competent people working -- and paying -- productively in many other places with higher taxation. Yet they stay and endure in countries that do not go to ruin. So it is with California.

(#2, btw, is China ... no need to discuss taxation under communist regime.)
Seems you missed this.

Will they be like other wealthy who simply replace part of the tax base on property taxes but since they will be non residents will they avoid any income tax that the residents who leave did pay?

Many wealthy own homes here as vacation homes, but show a different State of residency and pay no State income tax.

If a wealthy resident leaves and someone buys his home, that is a zero gain in today's market on property taxes but a loss for the State if they do not claim residency for Tax purposes. That has already happened and any growth from such new wealthy is no guarantee the tax loss will truly be offset adding to the burden placed on those who are residents but not wealthy.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:41 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
No, actually you are incorrect. The other poster, TVC15, was right, especially because many other states don't tax pensions.

And the difference in taxes between a state like California, vs states like South Carolina, Alabama, Pennsylvania or Tennesee can be quite a bit for retirees.

And I suggest you get out a calculator and figure it out for yourself, instead of repeatedly referencing another site.

I've run the numbers many times, and frequently the combination of sales taxes, income taxes and property taxes is more than double the other states, for retirees with somewhat above average income.
Humm, how many cities have filed for bankruptcy in TX VS CA?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Humm, how many cities have filed for bankruptcy in TX VS CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California