U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,079,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I'm no real estate agent but if San Jose is more expensive than LA, it's probably due to bad inflation. San Jo has nothing on LA, so there's no logical reason for it to be more expensive. A an average home in the LA's worst areas would probably average around 400,000 grand. In the best areas, could go upwards of 20million.
two words... high tech.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,947,328 times
Quote:
You should try the Bay Area. The San Jose area comes to mind but not sure about housing prices. Also, try Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Hollister, Santa Cruz, Gilroy, and Watsonville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Uh, not quite. San Jose has one of the highest priced housing markets in the country and is more expensive than both the LA and San Diego areas. The Bay Area as a whole is one of the most expensive places in the country.
That's true for anything in North San Jose and "north" of that. But Morgan and Gilroy which are about 20 minutes south of San Jose, are substantially cheaper. We're talking about 1/3 the price, at least for townhomes/condominiums.

There's also the East Bay which is a vast area containing a lot of towns, and it's substantially than San Francisco or the Peninsula. I think my cousin's house in Castro Valley is worth around $350k and if I had to guess I'd say it's about 1800 square feet.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 PM

1,837 posts, read 2,154,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
two words... high tech.
One word, INFLATION:
: an act of inflating : a state of being inflated: as a : distension b : a hypothetical extremely brief period of very rapid expansion of the universe immediately following the big bang c : empty pretentiousness : pomposity
: a continuing rise in the general price level usually attributed to an increase in the volume of money and credit relative to available goods and services

Examples of INFLATION

1. the inflation of a balloon
  2. The government has been unable to control inflation.

By the way, LA = World Class.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 PM

1,837 posts, read 2,154,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
That's true for anything in North San Jose and "north" of that. But Morgan and Gilroy which are about 20 minutes south of San Jose, are substantially cheaper. We're talking about 1/3 the price, at least for townhomes/condominiums.

There's also the East Bay which is a vast area containing a lot of towns, and it's substantially than San Francisco or the Peninsula. I think my cousin's house in Castro Valley is worth around $350k and if I had to guess I'd say it's about 1800 square feet.

Finally, someone who is literate. TY

Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 PM

10,160 posts, read 13,190,044 times
Quote:
I'm no real estate agent but if San Jose is more expensive than LA, it's probably due to bad inflation. San Jo has nothing on LA, so there's no logical reason for it to be more expensive. A an average home in the LA's worst areas would probably average around 400,000 grand. In the best areas, could go upwards of 20million.
Higher paying jobs is a pretty logical reason.

LA's median price isn't even $400k anymore. Look it up, you're completely wrong for the area immediately around San Jose. Yeah farther out places like Gilroy are cheaper but that's the case in any metro the farther u go out. It's not 2006 anymore. SoCal has always been cheaper than the Bay Area and higher paying jobs have a lot to do with that.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM

13,820 posts, read 11,380,339 times
Quote:
It mainly has to do with the fact that incomes are higher in San Jose. Also the area is built out and there is all kinds of red tape involved in building new housing on the existing tracts of land in SJ and the Bay Area more generally, although I would imagine these are also problems in L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California