U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 PM

12,351 posts, read 10,661,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
This is true. What it is not is experience in the field.
Of course it is, the process doesn't magically become "experience" if you decide to sign the papers.

You have no way of knowing whether you were "right by accident" or not.....

Quote:
When buying real estate for rentals, one is really just working to have others pay for the properties over a long hold. Positive cash-flow is a bonus when it can be achieved, but break-even ain't bad a bit either.
Serious investors don't touch properties that don't cash-flow, and for good reason, such investments are highly speculative. Break-even is terrible, you may as well buy government bonds.

But I have been talking about personal residences, not investment properties. In this case the personal benefits of ownership may be worth the financial costs...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 09:32 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,422,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Of course it is, the process doesn't magically become "experience" if you decide to sign the papers.

You have no way of knowing whether you were "right by accident" or not.....

Serious investors don't touch properties that don't cash-flow, and for good reason, such investments are highly speculative. Break-even is terrible, you may as well buy government bonds.

But I have been talking about personal residences, not investment properties. In this case the personal benefits of ownership may be worth the financial costs...
Completely wrong on all counts ... revealing your practical ignorance of the issues.

Of course I know there was no accident to my observations and decisions ... every feature I bought for endures and there isn't a chance in the world that the universities are going away ... nor is the proximity to downtown financial districts going to suddenly change ... the waterway isn't moving to a new location ... etc etc etc ... not one of those things is variable ... nothing will change for many generations if ever. They didn't endure by luck. Those kinds of features don't change.

"Serious investors don't touch properties that don't cash flow?"
No. Seriously intelligent people don't make stupid comments like that.

You know, I had a friend back around the 80's who was a city cop ... he and another cop bought houses and small apartment units on the side and contracted out management ... very few of them had much if any positive cash flow ... why he continued working as a cop, which job he didn't much care for -- but he had two disabled sons he was going to have to provide lifetime care for.

Last I talked to him, he and buddy had 43 units ... over 30 of them were rental houses. He is my age ... retired now ... all his properties are paid off by the rental incomes. Some had positives that helped pay for the negatives and break evens. He started selling some of them off last I heard from him in the 90's.

How much do you think that retired cop is worth now?

User, just stop now ... you are making a fool of yourself ... you have good observations about some subjects sometimes. You need to stick with what you know.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,298,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Generally statements based on belief rather than fact are the purview of the Conservatives among us.

Right, this explanation is as accurate as your op on my cushy job. You never worked for the State of Nevada didya?

1. We have no health insurance, can't afford it.
2. We have to keep working.
3. We live on a family ranch, and work for rent instead of on one of our ranches, which would require a dollar outlay ie, we'd need to restore the buildings.

Now, we could sit around moping over our fate, but instead we stay busy. Among other things I serve on three BoDs that work to increase recreational opportunities for people.

My wife is the town "flower child" watch this video, all those pretty flowers are pretty much her doing;
"The Farm" Arroyo Grande In Bloom / America In Bloom 2012 YouTube Competition - YouTube

In addition she supplied the plants for the old folks.

You should stop making false assumptions, wait until you have some facts to go with your beliefs, otherwise people are going to think you are a Conservative.

Now, it is true that if your give back to your community you are happier. There are a number of people whom on this board complain and complain a lot. some on this very thread. Some time back I created a thread asking what people did volunteer wise for their community. I found it interesting that few if any of the complainers did volunteer work. So, I can ask you this, what volunteer work do you do for your community?
I can't rep. you again yet, but I just wanted to say to the above.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:50 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,531,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I can't rep. you again yet, but I just wanted to say to the above.
Thank you for that, I am sending you a DM

Old 08-19-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Completely wrong on all counts ...
Yes...of course... I'm not going to try and get you to understand philosophic points that you are psychologically unwilling to grasp. Believe as you wish, makes no difference to me.

The fact that you think your cop story refutes me, well, let's just say I won't bother discussing investments with you.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:32 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 4,520,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
It is a path my dear.. Simply a path not a test..

Speaking of paths. What has changed so drastically with yours? I recall common ground with you on several occasions months back.. I am sorry, you have been consumed be the need for negativity..
Well dear nothing...I am the same as I was months back.

Taking $hit from those who think that they know what I am about but are so far off just does not sit well with me. Being viciously attacked by someone who claims to be a good Buddhist also does not sit well with me. I don't allow jokers to stamp me into their small little reality that is so far off. I have a very strong friendship with a Buddhist Monk (and guess what...he even lives in TX) and in no way shape or form has he ever reacted like the poster who claims to be a good Buddhist! I know what a good Buddhist is and to claim you are a good Buddhist when you have demonstrated otherwise is just total Ludacris. I just call is like it is…sorry if you see it as negative. I honor those who behave in an honorable manner. Just that little spiritual warrior in me I guess.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:50 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,422,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes...of course... I'm not going to try and get you to understand philosophic points that you are psychologically unwilling to grasp. Believe as you wish, makes no difference to me.

The fact that you think your cop story refutes me, well, let's just say I won't bother discussing investments with you.
Whoa! User! The finer philosophic points of real estate? And psychological barriers? This would be a good time for us to part ways on this thread. Heady stuff.

There's no "belief" to it, user ... it's facts.
Yeah. I think my cop story refutes you pretty well.
Now I could lay out numbers on it -- but I do grow weary of the discussion when the points are already so well made.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Whoa! User! The finer philosophic points of real estate? And psychological barriers?
Right, obviously you don't get it, but the point had nothing to do with real estate in particular... Its fine....moving along.

Quote:
Yeah. I think my cop story refutes you pretty well.
Naturally.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,531,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Well dear nothing...I am the same as I was months back.

Taking $hit from those who think that they know what I am about but are so far off just does not sit well with me. Being viciously attacked by someone who claims to be a good Buddhist also does not sit well with me. I don't allow jokers to stamp me into their small little reality that is so far off. I have a very strong friendship with a Buddhist Monk (and guess what...he even lives in TX) and in no way shape or form has he ever reacted like the poster who claims to be a good Buddhist! I know what a good Buddhist is and to claim you are a good Buddhist when you have demonstrated otherwise is just total Ludacris. I just call is like it is…sorry if you see it as negative. I honor those who behave in an honorable manner. Just that little spiritual warrior in me I guess.
Somebody got attacked? By Me? Impossible. I understand why a Buddhist monk would live in Texas. I believe it was Thich Nhat Hanh who worked washing dishes in a restaurant. Doing menial work, or living in unattractive places is a way that some Buddhists demonstrate non attachment and focus on their spiritual practice.

Here is a curious thing; I believe you were responding to my response to someone else entirely. My comment was in response to a post by someone other than you, so perhaps you could help me by informing me just what my "attack" on you was?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 PM

C'mon guys....why do you even take .highnlite seriously? He, or more likely she, is just here to try and get people upset/annoyed. Move along....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California