Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,642,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Your taxes are egregious
Why do they keep saying this, CA total tax burden, a whole 3% higher than the so called low tax texas. and its flat.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:28 PM

825 posts, read 1,030,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Why do they keep saying this, CA total tax burden, a whole 3% higher than the so called low tax texas. and its flat.
Including income tax, property tax, auto registration tax, etc etc? Perhaps I'm misinformed, but I hear it is much higher than TX from all the people I know that live there. I guess a better way to phrase it is the higher cost of living, overall?

Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,415,891 times
Quote:
Why do you keep making this statement since total tax burden depends on many factors? Such as how much you make, what property you own, how many tax credits, deductions, etc. So where are you getting the 3% from? Total Tax burden of what? CA takes 9% to 10% more just from your income..while TX takes ZERO.

You make no sense so please enlighten us as to what exactly you are saying?

Again where are you getting the 3% from?

The Tax Tale: 50-state comparison - JSOnline

Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Including income tax, property tax, auto registration tax, etc etc? Perhaps I'm misinformed, but I hear it is much higher than TX from all the people I know that live there. I guess a better way to phrase it is the higher cost of living, overall?
Believe me it is higher...they just don't get it

One thing I have come to realize about the people of CA is they have no feelings what so ever about how they are being screwed with over taxation. They know nothing else. And for us (Texans) we have never experienced such a thing so it really is astonishing to us. We come from a much better managed state and when we see how poorly managed this state is it blows our minds that anyone would actually vote to create and support this mess. I say it all the time and I will say it again. CA could stand to take serious economic lessons from TX.

I would love to see this state get its act together...then I would be more than just a CA nature cheerleader!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,642,757 times
Quote:
i appreciate your calm reasonable post, kudos. As opposed to those which followed yours, some people prefer belief to fact, we generally call them... Conservatives.

Total tax burden in California per capita is $4,910 In Texas $3,197 a difference of $1,713.

Total Tax Burden in CA is $10.6 percent of income, in Texas it is 7.9% of income, a difference of 3.7% or on an income of $100,000 per year, $3,700. And we don't have to leave the state to go skiing or a pack trip into the wilderness to catch a few trout.

In much of Texas one's home energy use, AC in summer, heat in winter are likely to outweigh that meager difference.

I read some figures that showed the average utility bill for a residence in Houston is $3-$600 per month. Our total energy monthly is less than $100 per month. Inland is higher.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,959,201 times
Quote:
I read some figures that showed the average utility bill for a residence in Houston is $3-$600 per month. Our total energy monthly is less than $100 per month. Inland is higher.
We don't tell many people who don't live here but each family in TX gets 100 gallons of free gas every month.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,854,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
... We come from a much better managed state ...
And yet, you are not there.
Why?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Property taxes are higher in Texas, other than that it's a lower cost of living, but like Florida another no income tax state, the salaries are on average are lower. Your odds of being house poor in Texas is less than CA and rents are much lower in Texas as well.

CA to me has major housing issues and out of control rental rates which make it hard for many to justify the life.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
i appreciate your calm reasonable post, kudos. As opposed to those which followed yours, some people prefer belief to fact, we generally call them... Conservatives.

Total tax burden in California per capita is $4,910 In Texas $3,197 a difference of $1,713.

Total Tax Burden in CA is $10.6 percent of income, in Texas it is 7.9% of income, a difference of 3.7% or on an income of $100,000 per year, $3,700. And we don't have to leave the state to go skiing or a pack trip into the wilderness to catch a few trout.

In much of Texas one's home energy use, AC in summer, heat in winter are likely to outweigh that meager difference.

The only thing wrong with your figures are that the per capita tax burden is on the average income of $53K of income in CA and $54K in TX.

CA taxes are more progressive and at $100K of income the tax burden is much higher than the $4,910 per capita amount that you listed above. In TX with no income tax the thing controlling the tax burden is how much house you buy...and on that note even the poorest in TX have a much bigger house than Californians.

Is this civil enough for you?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
And yet, you are not there.
Why?
Because I love the nature.

But more importantly I love being able to help the CA medical community come up to speed with the Texas Medical Center...they pay me the big bucks for that! Anyone receiving medical attention here in CA should be thankful for that as well.

I will be there again once I retire from here But since that is a far off in the distance I can't say for sure where I will be. However if things are the way they are in CA today when I retire...I will be leaving but where I just can't say...the world economy is a changing.

Oh and before you go where I predict you will...let me just say that CA has to pay my profession more due to the much higher cost of living here. No one with my talent would dare come here without a much higher pay. I also am paid well in Houston for what I do. So CA's high cost of living is not good for higher professional jobs due to the much higher salary that must be paid to attract these people.

Last edited by TVC15; 08-20-2012 at 08:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California