Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:10 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,159,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

Meanwhile, take a look at the sailboats, and the folks in the kayaks. I should imagine that they figure spending 3% more in taxes and getting to watch whales close up is a good trade.

Guess they don't make much money.
For that 3%, I could go to Hawaii first class, stay at the Four Seasons, and see all the marine life I could dream of.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,295,077 times
Quote:
Pretty funny when the best one can say about Texas is that their taxes are 3% lower than in CA, and sometimes they get a tax free weekend, but no one goes shopping.

Meanwhile, take a look at the sailboats, and the folks in the kayaks. I should imagine that they figure spending 3% more in taxes and getting to watch whales close up is a good trade.

Note the nice concrete pier in the background, that belongs to all the people of California, some of what our taxes get for us, it is a research pier for Cal Poly.
NO question it is a beautiful setting and show being put on. The difference of course is just a few get to see it while in TX anyone who wants can get the benefit of paying no sales tax for 3 days.

Now if I lived in oh say Fresno, Indio, Sacramento, etc., the tax free weekend would save me money. The whale would be long gone before I got to the location.

Now if I was in Dallas I have a large number of really BIG lakes to kayak, ski, boat, swim in, etc and NO sales tax for the rentals, meals, souvenirs, etc either.

Nice pier.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Guess they don't make much money.
For that 3%, I could go to Hawaii first class, stay at the Four Seasons, and see all the marine life I could dream of.
Imagine the savings when buying a car in TX that weekend????

Now imagine the cost of buying a car in CA, paying the taxes, BUT you do get to drive to the beach, paying about $0.40 more per gallon, and maybe seeing the whale.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Something seen in Texas it would be nice to see in CA

Tax Free Weekend is here, but shoppers are holding back - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

"LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - The Tax Free Holiday Weekend began at midnight on Thursday, and stores were expecting a large turnout.
"Typically in this three day period we may have between 140 and 150 thousand people that come,""
I don't get it: You are saying that hundreds of thousands of people shopping for "stuff" and saving tax money is what you like? That's your idea of "quality of life"?

Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,642,757 times
Quote:
NO question it is a beautiful setting and show being put on. The difference of course is just a few get to see it while in TX anyone who wants can get the benefit of paying no sales tax for 3 days.

Now if I lived in oh say Fresno, Indio, Sacramento, etc., the tax free weekend would save me money. The whale would be long gone before I got to the location.

Now if I was in Dallas I have a large number of really BIG lakes to kayak, ski, boat, swim in, etc and NO sales tax for the rentals, meals, souvenirs, etc either.

Nice pier.
Quote:
Now imagine the cost of buying a car in CA, paying the taxes,
A small fee for not having to live on flat ground

Interesting, Texas has only one lake, and it isn't very big. I bet it ain't nuthin like Tahoe:

Old 08-19-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I don't get it: You are saying that hundreds of thousands of people shopping for "stuff" and saving tax money is what you like? That's your idea of "quality of life"?
Nope, please don't ascribe motives to me.

The thread is "something not seen in Texas". I was just pointing out that it is only seen by a few while in Texas EVERYONE gets to see a 3 day tax savings. That tax savings is NOT seen in CA. Quality of life is not an issue.

I don't live in Texas, so no big deal to me.

I would have loved to be there and seen that, my wife even more. BUT I wasn't, you probably weren't either, sooo nice to know it happens, but ... I missed it.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
A small fee for not having to live on flat ground

Interesting, Texas has only one lake, and it isn't very big. I bet it ain't nuthin like Tahoe:
Humm, I know of several in Texas from visiting.

Try this:

Alphabetical List of Texas Lakes

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/lakelist.phtml
Texas Freshwater Lakes. Alphabetical List. Follow the links for access information and fishing tips on more than 100 lakes - or visit our clickable state map.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 PM

thought that might get a response from you, dear, those are reservoirs, not lakes. God made lakes, men make Reservoirs, complete with bathtub rings, muddy shores, and bass, dear god, bass.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times
Quote:
Nope, please don't ascribe motives to me.

The thread is "something not seen in Texas". I was just pointing out that it is only seen by a few while in Texas EVERYONE gets to see a 3 day tax savings. That tax savings is NOT seen in CA. Quality of life is not an issue.

I don't live in Texas, so no big deal to me.

I would have loved to be there and seen that, my wife even more. BUT I wasn't, you probably weren't either, sooo nice to know it happens, but ... I missed it.
Whatever you say ... I don't get the connection between whales and shopping bargains and taxes.

As for me seeing whales ... well, I live part time on Puget Sound island waterfront among killer whales and greys ... I live part time on a sailboat in Hawaii -- during the winter migrations -- and literally sail among them spouting around me ... and I live part time along the California coast where I also see whales. Me and whales got a thang going on ... and dolphins and sea turtles and seals and sea lions and otters and and and ...

Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 PM

Last week I was on my horse on the crest of a sand dune south of Pismo Beach. I looked out to see, and not three hundred yards off the beach a whale breached. I think that puts me in a select group, those who have seen whales from horseback..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California