Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:00 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,023,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Thanks there Sunny, It appears that the Texas cheerleaders, are urban people, not rural, rural people would "get it" urbanites can live just about anywhere, as all cities are about the same. Good places to stay out of.
That sounds about right. While I think everything in life has positives and negatives (and depending on how you look at it can change which is a positive for you), Texas is not often known for being a state for the outdoorsy types.

I've spent a decent amount of time on the TX board and when people considering moving to TX ask about outdoor activities, they're often redirected to another state by the locals (and those recommendations make sense to me, too, based on my visits to the area). Not that I'm a TX expert by any means (I've only been there a few times), that's just my observation.

In any case, to each their own. Some people need big houses and lots of stuff to be happy. Some people want a fabulous climate to enjoy the outdoors year-round instead. I prefer to trade stuff for weather/beach/year-round swimming, but those are my values and I don't expect everyone to feel the same way (especially if they hate being outside, at the beach, at the park, swimming, etc).

What I do know is that when people dispute which state is better for outdoor activities, CA or TX, well, it's hard to argue in favor of TX over CA. TX does have positives over CA in some areas (two very important areas such as jobs and COL), but outdoor activities, in my opinion, would not be one of them.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:50 PM

17,389 posts, read 11,918,783 times
Quote:
There is one lake in Texas, there are hundreds of rivers in CA, like this, the Los Angeles River, do try and keep up:
Careful, your ignorance is showing. There are far more than "one lake" in Texas.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
A natural lake and a reservoir are two different things. reservoirs are often called lakes by chamber of commerce types, but that is like calling a toll road a freeway. Texas has one lake it is called Caddo Lake, look it up. Lake Travis is a reservoir.

Great video eh?
I know CA liberals love to think they're so much smarter than everyone, and therefore they get to make up the rules. But spewing ignorance, in an attempt to "poke" Texans shows how immature and uninformed you are.

Shasta Lake - man made reservoir
Whiskeytown Lake - man made reservoir
Caples Lake - man made reservoir
Jenkinson Lake - man made reservoir

I could go on and on, but the list is pretty darned huge. But I'm sure you'll ignore this and continue insisting that only CA has "real" lakes.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:28 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,643,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Careful, your ignorance is showing. There are far more than "one lake" in Texas.
Name two other than the one I stated, Caddo.

Quote:
I know CA liberals love to think they're so much smarter than everyone, and therefore they get to make up the rules. But spewing ignorance, in an attempt to "poke" Texans shows how immature and uninformed you are.

Shasta Lake - man made reservoir
Whiskeytown Lake - man made reservoir
Caples Lake - man made reservoir
Jenkinson Lake - man made reservoir

I could go on and on, but the list is pretty darned huge. But I'm sure you'll ignore this and continue insisting that only CA has "real" lakes.
You probably meant to say " But I'm sure you'll ignore this and continue insisting that CA has only "real" lakes".
One of our lakes, one of our "real" lakes contains enough water to cover Texas (if it were flat) in 8 inches of water. And there are a thousand or more others.

Of course California has hundreds of Reservoirs, duh. No one is disputing that.

Quote:
But spewing ignorance, in an attempt to "poke" Texans shows how immature and uninformed you are.
Actually, if you were knowledgable in either geography or geology you would not make the statements you have made. Now, I may be immature, and proud of it, but, I am not uninformed. C'est la Guerre

Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,063,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Now post the definition of NATURAL...

Put the two words together then....

Man made lakes can be great for several decades, then they start to fail, it is a slow process but it is decline in quality.... If one is only interested in motor sports it makes no difference.... a man made lake is fine... For some of us though the difference is night and day... Don't need websters to tell us the difference, one just needs to be awake and aware of the natural world around them...
Start to fail? How so?

Isn't Lake Tahoe steadily declining in quality?

I view bodies of water as terrific. If we don't have natural lakes, I have no problem with man-made lakes.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM

370 posts, read 997,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
You lived a good while in California and NEVER made it to Yosemite? That's a flat out crime.
I don't even know Yosemite is
I was in South California, pretty baron crappy land, with a bunch of palm trees planted there
Wonder if the Cali's know Palm Trees are not native to CA

Lots of Natural Nature around here, my kind of place
No, it doesn't have to be some fancy National Park, just "natural" nature works for me

Old 08-20-2012, 01:48 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,023,759 times
Quote:
Only Natural Lake In Texas | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 08-20-2012, 02:02 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,643,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
I don't even know [what] Yosemite is[.]
I was in South California, pretty baron[barren] crappy land, with a bunch of palm trees planted there

Lots of Natural Nature around here, my kind of place
No, it doesn't have to be some fancy National Park, just "natural" nature works for me
mmm...
Quote:
Huh, Washingtonia filifera (filifera – Latin "thread-bearing"), with the common names [1], Desert Fan Palm, Cotton palm, Arizona Fan Palm and California Fan Palm. It is a palm native to southwestern North America between an elevation range of 100–1,200 metres (330–3,900 ft), at seeps, desert bajadas, and springs where underground water is continuously available

A Southern California scene, a crappy barren desert with a bunch of palm trees I guess, note the chimney, how deep do you figure the snow is here?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:31 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,140,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Start to fail? How so?

Isn't Lake Tahoe steadily declining in quality?

I view bodies of water as terrific. If we don't have natural lakes, I have no problem with man-made lakes.
You are correct... Natural lakes are in decline too... Just on a geological time scale rather than decades or centuries like man made lakes. Man made lakes need man to manage them, to stock fish to maintain water levels and so forth... "Gods" lakes do better if man stays away from them...

Man made lakes created by damming a river, tend to silt over, also many may start out with great fishing, but often that declines too over time... Reservoirs that are drawn down, tend to support little in the way of natural reproduction...

From the perspective of natural ecology SOME man made lakes are very bad.. Damming rivers typically disrupt the natural spawning habitat of fish such as Salmon..

I love water too, I am a quiet sports person, and enjoy natural bodies of water for their ecological diversity, and the tasty native fish the allow me to catch on occasion...

Yes, I have also enjoyed a man made lake or two myself, I would be lying if I did not admit to that! ... However I always think of what beauty that was buried by the water, and the degree of disruption the lake is causing to the eco system...

Regardless fact is fact, regarding natural lakes in Texas....

Shall we argue about the fact that their are no mountains over 9000 feet in Texas either? Believe it or not I was shocked Texas had one that tall, I would say it does not count because it is on the boarder with New Mexico...

The whole darn point here is not to pick on Texas, but to point out California has quite a bit of desirable natural beauty and areas with a desirable mediterranean climate.... Some here get sick of all the threads about how expensive California is compared to Texas... Possibly this thread can give some hints why so many are willing to pay a premium to be in California, me included.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post

Ah, jumping on the "I've decided to create my own definition of lake" bandwagon, have we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California