Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,414,716 times

Advertisements

California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever' - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 12:47 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,060,989 times
Wow. Just wow.

I'm just going to sit back and grab some popcorn.

Should the neocons be happy? Illegal immigration control negatively affecting California agriculture? We all knew what would happen if those freaking about illegal immigration destroying and bankrupting California would get there way.

$12-$18 for truck drivers and semiskilled laborers? And they are having a hard time filling those. Wow. Thats decent money in the agricultural areas in California.

Just goes to show, unemployment rates are not necessarily the best indicator of overall economic conditions.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,140,276 times
Good job TVC...

This should be interesting to hear from the doom and gloom crowd... TVC, you got to admit, Highnlight is always saying, this plenty of work for those willing to do it...

This lack of workers, with high unemployment numbers is what gets my goat.... In my youth, I did field work during summer vacations in high school and college. It was good money for a young person...

Today, what, soft handed teens sit bored playing video games? I will say though the pay would need to be 1/2 to 1/4 for inexperienced field workers...

Old 08-23-2012, 07:08 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,563,976 times
Get a clue. I have employee's tell me the biggest factor is many illegal aliens have figured out its easier to game the system for free money than get back into the fields for back breaking work after losing other jobs in construction. It's easier to get fraudulent paper work for free money by some dumbassed government seat polisher than an employer doing due diligence on I-9 documentation.

Couple that with the other conditions mentioned in the article and yes you have a perfect storm of government stupidity when it comes to managing immigration and labor.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,642,757 times
Bulldog,, You are wrong.

We have crops on our land rotting in the field because there are not enough workers to harvest.
Why aren't there enough workers even though unemployment is high?
A. Citizens won't work in the fields. 20% of field workers are citizens and they are uniformly of Mexican descent.
B. Commercial agriculture is expanding in Mexico at a rapid rate, it is easier now for workers to remain in Mexico and work. This forces the US to be dependent on more food imported from Mexico which is as good an idea as depending on imported oil.
C. The anti illegal crowd is having an effect, illegals find it harder to work here, which would be fine if there was a replacement, there isn't. Ag in CA is a 40 billion dollar direct impact industry with a ripple effect of 600 billion dollars (workers buying clothing, groceries, rent, tractor and truck purchases etc.) No illegals and the ag economy will crash, taking CA with it.

This is a serious problem, and it is true that government has done little about it. However it is also true that the anti illegal crowd has not looked beyond their collective noses to see that one cannot destroy a sector of the economy without destroying multiple sectors of the economy.

Now, I have encouraged all red blooded patriotic Americans to take a job from an illegal, if each one of the anti illegal crowd goes to work in the fields we would not need the illegals, consider it your patriotic duty.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,853,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Get a clue. I have employee's tell me the biggest factor is many illegal aliens have figured out its easier to game the system for free money than get back into the fields for back breaking work after losing other jobs in construction. It's easier to get fraudulent paper work for free money by some dumbassed government seat polisher than an employer doing due diligence on I-9 documentation.

Couple that with the other conditions mentioned in the article and yes you have a perfect storm of government stupidity when it comes to managing immigration and labor.
"Somebody" told you that, Dawg? So it must be true in statistically significant numbers? Dawg, you are better than this. Despite our differences of viewpoints on many issues, I generally credit you with intelligent and researched posts of information. This is crap. I have covered the issue of welfare fraud relentlessly on this forum. Fraud runs at about a 2% - 3% range. Benefits available are not easy to get -- and, most significantly to your statements here, they are not enough to live on compared to the money field workers are used to earning ... especially in California where the field workers are employed full-time, year round, not 'campesinos'.

TANF is the only cash assistance program, for example, and is available for only a few years total lifetime eligibility. Enrollees are predominately children and single mothers. Adult TANF recipients are required to be working (which many are -- about 25%) or in training for employment programs. And TANF doesn't pay enough to even rise to poverty income levels.

The illegals have been returning to Mexico for several years with the pressures of recession and increased enforcement. Reports on this are all over the news all the time.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Bulldog,, You are wrong.

We have crops on our land rotting in the field because there are not enough workers to harvest.
Why aren't there enough workers even though unemployment is high?
A. Citizens won't work in the fields. 20% of field workers are citizens and they are uniformly of Mexican descent.
B. Commercial agriculture is expanding in Mexico at a rapid rate, it is easier now for workers to remain in Mexico and work. This forces the US to be dependent on more food imported from Mexico which is as good an idea as depending on imported oil.
C. The anti illegal crowd is having an effect, illegals find it harder to work here, which would be fine if there was a replacement, there isn't. Ag in CA is a 40 billion dollar direct impact industry with a ripple effect of 600 billion dollars (workers buying clothing, groceries, rent, tractor and truck purchases etc.) No illegals and the ag economy will crash, taking CA with it.

This is a serious problem, and it is true that government has done little about it. However it is also true that the anti illegal crowd has not looked beyond their collective noses to see that one cannot destroy a sector of the economy without destroying multiple sectors of the economy.

Now, I have encouraged all red blooded patriotic Americans to take a job from an illegal, if each one of the anti illegal crowd goes to work in the fields we would not need the illegals, consider it your patriotic duty.
No I am not wrong.

Immigration enforcement has a small part to do with what you are seeing in your fields. Or should I say not seeing in your fields. There are plenty of able bodied, "iilegals" in America right now that can harvest your crops. The PROBLEM is that they have figured out its easier to sit back and suck off the BIG FAT TIT of the American welfare system than break their back in the fields. I have about 30 that hit me up every month looking for an open position. When I ask them why dont they hit the fields, their reasoning is simple. I make a little less a month on government handouts but don't have to kill myself picking your vegetables.

I do agree that legal American "Citizens" are too lazy to get off their humps as well and take an 11-15 dollar an hour job in the fields or even driving a truck, which I did during the summer in the tomato fields as a teen for extra cash.

THAT is the problem.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:18 AM

50,116 posts, read 46,715,694 times
I dunno, working in a hot field or an air conditioned fast food joint...hmmmmmmm for about the same pay..... hmmmm

Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,521,481 times
How many millions of illegals are living in California? It's got more illegals than any other state.

And more people on welfare handouts. The whole problem is that the welfare handouts are so generous that why would anyone want to work for a living?

And farm work is seasonal, the welfare recipients including the illegals would lose their many welfare handouts, they'd have to pay for their Section 8 housing, buy their own food, and when the work is over in 1-2 months, they'd have to reapply for their welfare handouts all over again.

As far as a shortage of illegals -- that is the biggest joke --- the illegals are being handed 2 million new work visas but that doesn't mean they're really going to get off their duffs and start working.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How many millions of illegals are living in California? It's got more illegals than any other state.

And more people on welfare handouts. The whole problem is that the welfare handouts are so generous that why would anyone want to work for a living?

And farm work is seasonal, the welfare recipients including the illegals would lose their many welfare handouts, they'd have to pay for their Section 8 housing, buy their own food, and when the work is over in 1-2 months, they'd have to reapply for their welfare handouts all over again.

As far as a shortage of illegals -- that is the biggest joke --- the illegals are being handed 2 million new work visas but that doesn't mean they're really going to get off their duffs and start working.
Huh! imagine that someone who actually undstands the realities of the situation instead of the liberal pablum being fed to the sheeple of this State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: