Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:36 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Education is education: teaching children the truth about the world, and about life.
Did you miss the part about the district teaching abstinence-ONLY, dear?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,477,811 times
Quote:
Oh, baloney.

Education is education: teaching children the truth about the world, and about life. Teaching the benefits of non-marital abstinence is not only morally superior, but superior in terms of health, relationships, and public policy. If you don't teach it you aren't educating.

God bless Clovis, California.
You left out 1 very big adjective------UNREALISTIC!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:55 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,678,559 times
As a young person I was a serious "born again" Christian, that lasted about 2 years into the Navy. I have always had a bad habit of questioning stuff, and reading stuff. I began to realize that Christianity was, like all religions, an invention of men, so I retired from Christianity and went on about my life, but... That guilt stuff that Christianity is built on was darned hard to get rid of. Some people never do.

We raised our kids without any of that clap trap, and they seem pretty psychologically healthy. Some of their Christian friends are all tied up in knots trying to resolve their natural instinct to have physical relationships with the demands of their faith that they not do so. They all do, and they are all conflicted about it. Not healthy at all.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Amazing the amount of BS that is propogated by the liberal machine.

How's those Sex-Ed classes working for you in Sacramento with the highest STD rate amoungst teens in the state. Yes they have regular Sex Ed courses.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Amazing the amount of BS that is propogated by the liberal machine.

How's those Sex-Ed classes working for you in Sacramento with the highest STD rate amoungst teens in the state. Yes they have regular Sex Ed courses.
This statement shows a classic logical fallacy.
A. situation exists
B. efforts are made to reduce situation
C. situation still exists
D. Therefore the effort is a failure.

Let me put it in a concrete form.
A. Drivers speed
B. Highway Patrol catches some speeders but not all
C. Drivers still speed.
D. Therefore Highway Patrol efforts are a failure.

What is not considered in the logical fallacy is; what would be the incident rate if no effort was made to reduce the incidents?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:16 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,993,881 times
Texas went through a phase where they pushed abstinence only sex ed in schools. Teen pregnancy rates skyrocketed. Major fail. Wishful thinking will never replace true education.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Oh, baloney.

Education is education: teaching children the truth about the world, and about life. Teaching the benefits of non-marital abstinence is not only morally superior, but superior in terms of health, relationships, and public policy. If you don't teach it you aren't educating.

Yawn. That's not teaching, that's indoctrination and that's not why we send our children to school.

Here's a thought, why not focus our energies on mathematics, reading and science and leave the business of teaching morality to parents at home?

We are bogged down in BS and that's why our students suck compared to those from podunk countries like Singapore and South Korea--because our priorities are totally screwed up when it comes to education.

Everyone wants to teach their personal beliefs as FACT while ignoring the real issues, like skills and disciplines that will actually make them productive adults.

When they actually finish their schooling and look for a job, nobody cares who they slept with or how they slept with them, only what they know pertaining to the job.

#tiredoftheuselessfluffinschools

Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
This statement shows a classic logical fallacy.
A. situation exists
B. efforts are made to reduce situation
C. situation still exists
D. Therefore the effort is a failure.

Let me put it in a concrete form.
A. Drivers speed
B. Highway Patrol catches some speeders but not all
C. Drivers still speed.
D. Therefore Highway Patrol efforts are a failure.

What is not considered in the logical fallacy is; what would be the incident rate if no effort was made to reduce the incidents?
Coming from the Lord of logical fallacies I take that as a complement. Thank you my liege.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Quote:
Oh, baloney.

Grammatically incorrect, but well said. I have no idea how you reach the second part about imaginary friends considering what Clovis is doing is the exact opposite of the first part. I can only surmise by "teaching children the truth..." you mean indoctrinating by doing the exact opposite. Can we just get back to actual education rather than this drivel? Given that foreign countries out educate us in our own language, I think we have greater concerns.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Coming from the Lord of logical fallacies I take that as a complement. Thank you my liege.
Another one, Good thing your kid is getting an education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California