Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 02:30 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,580,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
WesternPilgrim, I have enjoyed our talks in the past and your info is greatly appreciated! I wish I had had the chance to visit Red Bluff when we were there. Sad. I appreciate your suggestions of Modoc and Lassen cty.'s and pretty much most of the northern area, I am going to do some research into that. Yes, music is important to me. It is sure hard however, to get all these things in one area. I did see alot of cattle around Chico. Chico is just too big and modern however, so Red Bluff, Oroville and maybe the other areas you mentioned will be just right.

As you probably remember, a big concern for Chico was the rowdy college life. We have plenty of that here and don't like it one bit.
Likewise, countryway. The nice thing is that you don't have to live in Chico or Redding. Red Bluff is a much smaller city and is practically defined by the equestrian arts, but you'll have easy access to larger cities for the music scene.

McMillan Family Trick Riders in Red Bluff Round-Up 2012 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 AM

50,057 posts, read 46,553,810 times
East County is S kicker and cowboy hat territory.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 PM

307 posts, read 976,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Likewise, countryway. The nice thing is that you don't have to live in Chico or Redding. Red Bluff is a much smaller city and is practically defined by the equestrian arts, but you'll have easy access to larger cities for the music scene.

McMillan Family Trick Riders in Red Bluff Round-Up 2012 - YouTube
Thats a pretty nice video clip! Red Bluff might be just the ticket. I am real curious about Modoc and Lassen counties though since you brought them up. Was doing some research into Susanville and Alturas, however they are pretty remote and may get snowed in during Winter. My dad was just up in Susanville last Spring and he said he's never seen so many cows in his life. And hes from Nebraska, which used to be known as "The Beef State". Still tons of ranching in NE though especially the western side. In the "sandhills" region. I have never been up in that part of CA before though. Have always wanted to. When I was a kid I always wanted to see Mt. Shasta and Lassen, but never really had the chance. If you have anymore info on Red Bluff or these other areas pass it along.

My dad said he went through Red Bluff earlier in the year and didn't care for it. I'm really not sure why though. maybe he thought it was run-down? Thats kind of the impression I got from him, I could be wrong however.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
The western half of Calaveras County would do. When the local cows have their bells on, I enjoy hearing them move around in the morning.

Are you looking to actually be a rancher or are you just looking to live where ranching is practiced?
Both, to your questions. I have the opportunity to work in ranching right now but hope to own a ranch soon enough. but we shall see what we shall see.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,624,497 times
Quote:
Thats a pretty nice video clip! Red Bluff might be just the ticket. I am real curious about Modoc and Lassen counties though since you brought them up. Was doing some research into Susanville and Alturas, however they are pretty remote and may get snowed in during Winter. My dad was just up in Susanville last Spring and he said he's never seen so many cows in his life. And hes from Nebraska, which used to be known as "The Beef State". Still tons of ranching in NE though especially the western side. In the "sandhills" region. I have never been up in that part of CA before though. Have always wanted to. When I was a kid I always wanted to see Mt. Shasta and Lassen, but never really had the chance. If you have anymore info on Red Bluff or these other areas pass it along.

My dad said he went through Red Bluff earlier in the year and didn't care for it. I'm really not sure why though. maybe he thought it was run-down? Thats kind of the impression I got from him, I could be wrong however.
Red Bluff is a bit borin, and deadly hot in the summer. Modoc and Lassen Counties are great places, some of the best in CA. Susanville is not where you want to be. Alturas, Cedarville, Canby, Adin, Fall River Mills, great places, Some areas there are green year round, unlike most of CA.

Snowed in, that is up to you, Chances are you won't have enough snow to require a loader, but, you might have a blade on a truck. As for remote, Reno is your base for supplies. 395 becomes your friend, and then, you have Eastern Oregon, and Northwest Nevada out your door. Beats the heck out of most of CA

Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Red Bluff is a bit borin, and deadly hot in the summer. Modoc and Lassen Counties are great places, some of the best in CA. Susanville is not where you want to be. Alturas, Cedarville, Canby, Adin, Fall River Mills, great places, Some areas there are green year round, unlike most of CA.
Why is Susanville not where I want to be specifically? I'm not being fiesty, just curious, because I don't know anything about that area. Is it culturally not compatable with what I am looking for or something else?

I am looking into the areas you mentioned right now. I only mentioned "snowed in" because I knew some folks in Burney that were always snowed in during the Winter due to closed roads. I have a 4X4 off-road vehicle and am well acquainted with snowy winters. I drive in Colorado and Wyoming quite a bit in Winter as well as back east. I know Sierra Winters at times can be severe, even more so than around here for sure, so thats why I asked.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Yes, Susanville and especially Alturas are extremely remote. You would love them in terms of a ranching culture, but the music opportunities will be limited. The central coast is great but it's expensive and a little on the "uppity" side. I really think you'll like Red Bluff if you get a chance to visit. Red Bluff, being a larger city (pop 15K or thereabouts) does have some crime issues, but it's really not a part of life there unless you spend a lot of time with the wrong crowd. The town has lots of friendly, salt-of-the-earth, generally conservative people (along with some other kinds of people). Perhaps there are areas that look run down, but I wouldn't characterize the city or the outskirts that way at all. The downtown area and midtown neighborhoods are rather charming in my opinion.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Why is Susanville not where I want to be specifically? I'm not being fiesty, just curious, because I don't know anything about that area. Is it culturally not compatable with what I am looking for or something else?
Susanville's economy is anchored by a state penitentiary. That colors the impression a lot of folks have about Susanville, but it's not entirely fair.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:15 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,624,497 times
Quote:
The central coast is great ...a little on the "uppity" side.
I hear people say, I don't see any evidence of that. There are people with money, some have been here a hundred years, some people have been here 10, but I don't see any "uppity", people get up every morning and go about their business like every one.

San Luis Obispo has been called "the happiest town in America". I do like Alturas though. I would not consider Alturas remote, I consider Los Angeles remote, it is a long way from the places I like.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Yes, Susanville and especially Alturas are extremely remote. You would love them in terms of a ranching culture, but the music opportunities will be limited. The central coast is great but it's expensive and a little on the "uppity" side. I really think you'll like Red Bluff if you get a chance to visit. Red Bluff, being a larger city (pop 15K or thereabouts) does have some crime issues, but it's really not a part of life there unless you spend a lot of time with the wrong crowd. The town has lots of friendly, salt-of-the-earth, generally conservative people (along with some other kinds of people). Perhaps there are areas that look run down, but I wouldn't characterize the city or the outskirts that way at all. The downtown area and midtown neighborhoods are rather charming in my opinion.

The pictures of Red Bluff you posted and the ones that I found Online look nice. I am really not sure why my dad said he did not like it. I will be talking with him soon and will ask him specifically.

I worry about valley towns. Don't want to be back in that culture, pace and way of life again. Of Course I am speaking of the greater Sac area...but its way-of-life etc. seem to be similar up and down the Valley, from Chico to Bakersfield. If we come back we want a very different place then we were used to when living there for decades. We are conservative, country, agricultural, modest, Christian folks with midwestern/country values and way-of-life. Some of the smaller cities and towns I grew up in were great back then, but have changed drastically since then and for the worst in our opinion. 'Course my folks have been in the Sac area since the mid-50's and have seen the dramatic changes going back that far. The more recent changes have been troubling to an extent in Sacto and surrounding areas.

The area around Chico did seem different though...def. more country. I only wish we had visited Oroville, Orland, and most especially: Red Bluff. An area in the Sierra might be more appropriate however and possibly would have to forfiet the music issue at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California