Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:16 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times

Advertisements

Here are some links for ya

CARPE DIEM: Companies Leaving California in Record Numbers

California by the numbers « Hot Air

Exodus: California Tax Revenue Plunges by 22%

List names 100 companies leaving California - Jan Norman on Small Business : The Orange County Register

California Tax Revenue Drops, Businesses Leaving | Union Watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
Looks like there's going to be plenty of empty chairs for Clint Eastwood to chat with.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:13 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Looks like there's going to be plenty of empty chairs for Clint Eastwood to chat with.
Notice the drop in Corporate taxes. That is a sure indication that Corps are leaving, even if they leave a business presence here. Their Corporate taxes go to another State.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Lets consider what gives me a little more understanding of what is going on than people that are untrained. Former College Business Instructor. All my life in business world. International Corporation up to Division Sales Manager for half the U.S. leaving only because I was tired of being transferred to solve the companies needs. Have had great university courses in economics, and business. Professional seminars in the field of business, and international money and tax saving. 30 Years commercial Real Estate Broker handling business properties, and counseling to solve business problems in numerous states from my office in Colorado, with clients I handled all their investments from as far away as Iran (when under the Shaw), Malasia, etc.
Lets look at the facts.

25% of job increase June 2011 to June 2012, agriculture jobs and not high paid jobs.
Manufacturing jobs which are the big important category down .4% not up in California and up for the nation by 1.9%. Places like Montana, good jobs are plentiful and importing workers. Services down .7%. Leisure and Hospitality covering things like motels, restaurants, etc. up 3.1%. Professional and Business Services up 3.1% which is providing services to businesses, such as accounting and Providing Temporary Workers for businesses (not full time jobs). While temporary services in the nation this has declined as part time jobs became full time instead of part time not the same in California. Construction up 5%, and this is unknown if low or high paid jobs. Professional and business services up 4.7% again in this field a lot of these jobs are part time. State jobs, down 1.4% and Federal Jobs down 1.8%. Normally good solid middle class jobs. Many of these are teachers, police, etc. This is just a few job categories, but gives you a good idea of what is really happening.

The loss in manufacturing jobs, is largely caused by the 5 companies bailing out every week taking their jobs with them and the replacement jobs are not equal to those leaving.

In July 2012, approximately 700,000 jobless Californians had gone without work for at least one year, which is more than 1/3rd of jobless.

Almost half of the unemployed in California have been searching for work for more than six months.

Add the underemployed including those that have just given up hope of getting a job and the jobless number is over 30% of the working age population.

The one group not increasing in employment past year, is those with a college degree where employment has remained flat with no gain, an indicator that most job increases are in lower quality jobs, not those requiring a college degree. There have been some increases in college trained employees, but they are being offset by those leaving the state when their companies move out.

Average weekly earnings are lower today than 5 years ago, except for the top 20% of population in California. This is not true, for most of the country where the economy is bouncing back.

California had a big jump in the number of jobs last month, but employment would have to more than double this figure every month for 3 or more years to get the state back to half way normal and that is not going to happen with current trends.

The U.S. unemployment rate dropped .1% last month with 96,000 jobs, but there were 368,000 that just gave up and are not counted as unemployed so it is not a true unemployment rate.

California has serious problems, and will take a long time to recover and may not be back to its glory days for decades. If California does what I am afraid they are going to do, which is to hit those with money and corporations with big tax increases and higher business fees to solve some of their money problems, be prepared to see more than the current company per day leave the state, and don't expect any company with high paying jobs to move in to replace them.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Yes CA is breaking records every day. Unfortunately they are not the oness we would want to break.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:07 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Thanks TVC15 for your post, and thank you for providing the links that prove what I have been saying. I thank you for saving me the time to find links.

Quote:
Here are some links for ya

CARPE DIEM: Companies Leaving California in Record Numbers

California by the numbers « Hot Air

Exodus: California Tax Revenue Plunges by 22%

List names 100 companies leaving California - Jan Norman on Small Business : The Orange County Register

California Tax Revenue Drops, Businesses Leaving | Union Watch
Covered exactly what I have been saying, but some of the posters refusing to accept. Demanding links. You did an excellent job providing them. Different sources than I used to make the statements, but exactly the same information that California Cheerleaders are having a hard time accepting.

That 100 companies are not the only ones leaving, but enough of a list to show it is a broad happening, and they state they are leaving or expanding for exactly the same reasons I gave for companies leaving. Your links show how drastic the tax revenues are falling, and how the ones bailing out of the state are a big cause for this decline.

Until the state is willing to make the state more business friendly, find ways to lower business operating costs and taxes in California this exodus will increase, not decline. The problems will increase, and the tax revenues will continue to decline. Jobs are being created at less than half the rate that would take care of the unemployment problem, but would still leave a big underemployment problem as the underemployment rate combined with unemployment rate is over 30%. While jobs are being created, there are even more jobs fleeing the state, than those being created. California is heading into a huge unemployment hole.

Note that way more companies are leaving each year, than the year before. Jack up the taxes as Governor Brown wants to do, stick on a few more regulations, and the rate of companies leaving California will explode. The upper middle and upper class along with their companies are taking their money and fleeing the state, being replaced with poor people and illegals. The revenue needed by the state and cities is drying up, at a time the need for government assistance is increasing.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:47 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Thanks TVC15 for your post, and thank you for providing the links that prove what I have been saying. I thank you for saving me the time to find links.

Covered exactly what I have been saying, but some of the posters refusing to accept. Demanding links. You did an excellent job providing them. Different sources than I used to make the statements, but exactly the same information that California Cheerleaders are having a hard time accepting.

That 100 companies are not the only ones leaving, but enough of a list to show it is a broad happening, and they state they are leaving or expanding for exactly the same reasons I gave for companies leaving. Your links show how drastic the tax revenues are falling, and how the ones bailing out of the state are a big cause for this decline.

Until the state is willing to make the state more business friendly, find ways to lower business operating costs and taxes in California this exodus will increase, not decline. The problems will increase, and the tax revenues will continue to decline. Jobs are being created at less than half the rate that would take care of the unemployment problem, but would still leave a big underemployment problem as the underemployment rate combined with unemployment rate is over 30%. While jobs are being created, there are even more jobs fleeing the state, than those being created. California is heading into a huge unemployment hole.

Note that way more companies are leaving each year, than the year before. Jack up the taxes as Governor Brown wants to do, stick on a few more regulations, and the rate of companies leaving California will explode. The upper middle and upper class along with their companies are taking their money and fleeing the state, being replaced with poor people and illegals. The revenue needed by the state and cities is drying up, at a time the need for government assistance is increasing.
Tell you what:

If plate tectonics creates a major rift into the Gulf of Mexico, so that it actually becomes a heat sink, and the global currents reverse so that you have chilly ocean water bringing cooler summers to Texas, and plate tectonics uplifts some mountains very rapidly near Houston.

and if the state gets SO many transplants that it becomes super diverse, and the liberals balance out the conservatives, you get enough transplants that Bible-literalist, creationists Baptist and phony cowboy wannabes become outnumbered to the point that they are are seen as a archaic minority, I'll move to Texas.

Until then, Texas won't replace California for most. And I say this actually liking Texas.

If you combined the size and culturally diversity of Houston, with the historic charm of San Antonio, with the anything goes vibe of Austin, and pulled the hill country next to the ocean, and cooled off those damn hot summers, then Texas would be great.

Oh . . . . theres already a state like that!

Old 09-09-2012, 11:03 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
I would seriously love to see how much those low tax states would be saving moving their headquarters, etc. compared to what they are paying in heating/AC costs.

Believe it or not people, there is more to good climate than meets the eye. We are still influenced by the physical environment.

Can the Plains states produce and distribute the enormous output of fruits and vegetables that the country consumes?

Can the low tax Plains states (Texas to Montana) tap into the burgeoning Pacific Rim?? We made live in a high tech world, but you still need ports to manage all those goods.

The widening of the Panama Canal would probably be more of a boom to Texas over California than any differences in taxes.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:40 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
^ Shut up already You are full of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California