U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 01:50 AM

7,249 posts, read 6,415,866 times

Advertisements

Most Asian imports come in from the west coast, most European imports from the east coast. Right now Americans aren't buying as much cheap stuff from China but more luxury stuff from Europe. It's John Kerry's old "two Americas" problem where the middle and lower classes are hurting but the upper class is doing great and continuing to buy high end stuff with abandon.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,385,412 times
A few truths about California, along with the links I keep getting hollered at to provide.

In the last 10 years, California has lost 2.87% of its jobs to China, mostly in the San Francisco South Bay area. Lost because of high taxes, environmental regulations and high labor costs. And these jobs are not coming back. California is on verge of raising taxes again, and there will go more jobs. This does not count all the jobs being sent to Texas and other states.

10 States Losing the Most Jobs to China | Fox Business

States Losing the Most Jobs to China - 24/7 Wall St.

McDonald's looking to fill 1,000 positions across California and the Bay Area | abc7news.com

Last month the majority of new jobs created were service jobs, you know this is the category where Wal-Mart and McDonalds are hiring. The number of manufacturing jobs declined by 50%. Low wage jobs are the predominant jobs being created during this recovery.

Most jobs in economic recovery are low-paying, study finds - latimes.com

Low-wage jobs explosion - Aug. 31, 2012

ADP: U.S. Hiring Surged In August With 201,000 New Jobs - Forbes

Facts about California
[indent]Domestic migration to California is in negative figures starting 2000 while births minus deaths are way up largely due to higher birth rate of poor people. International migration (such as coming to California and Asia) is up. [/INDENT

The area the upper and middle classes are fleeing from in big numbers are, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and San Jose.
California has not seen growth in higher paid, better educated jobs, while Texas has seen great growth as with the U.S. as a whole is gaining good jobs.
California has seen a very small increase in middle skill jobs at a 1/3rd of the national average, while Texas has seen almost 10 times more than California.
California is becoming less educated than other states (largely due to better educated from 25 to 35 leaving the state and the immigrants moving into the state).
The Export Business in California (People and Jobs) | Newgeography.com

Underemployment in California has been higher over the past 2 years than at any other time since WWII. Proof again, that California has been adding jobs, but not the kind that pays good money. The unemployment and underemployment rates are holding back the recovery in real estate and will take a long time for the RE market to fully recover.

Reeling from California’s lack of jobs |

One company has 1,000 job openings, and when advertising for help have long lines of people applying for jobs.

McDonald's looking to fill 1,000 positions across California and the Bay Area | abc7news.com

Old 09-11-2012, 04:49 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,345,885 times
Old Trader, I wonder if you had a point to your post?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:34 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,352,728 times
You know, I know this is a bit off topic, but I find it fascinating that this tea party rhetoric about low taxes, low regulation, etc., etc. seems to be primarily a "regular white American" obsession.

Asians and Jews for example, two ethnic groups that have experienced some of the greatest success, worked the hardest, and have achieved the most, yet the tea party rhetoric is nearly absent from their dialogue. Jews despite their success, wealth, etc. continue to vote Democrat. and don't show a lot of desire to move the states with the lowest taxes and regulations.

The people I know with the most education I know in the real world, don't go on and on, the way Oldtrader and the rest do.

Just a thought.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM

413 posts, read 485,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
But, but . . . you can afford a seven car garage, a major bass boat, three trucks, which you couldn't do in California!

And the weather is just as good! Sure, you have the six months of 100 degrees and 95% humidity, but the rest of the year is great! And the mountains around El Paso - just like the Sierras! And the Gulf? Its just like Big Sur!

And with no public land, you can have 100 acres of mesquite for every household! Your kids can play on the oil rigs and longhorns!
Somewhere in Irvine there is a guy from Dallas who is dying of laughter right now. Seriously. Only been to El Paso, but what I have heard, Texas is humid, has tornadoes and bugs...at least that is what the guy from Dallas who lives in Irvine now told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Upnorth View Post
My husband and I have been blessed with OUTSTANDING jobs and income in Western North Dakota. This state gets over looked by the democratic driven media who seldom speaks of the 17,000 job openings, unemployment as low as 0.7% (Williams County). Did you know that numerous geologists predict more oil in the Bakken Formation than ALL of Saudi Arabia. Since these are mostly non-green, shovel ready fossil fuel energy jobs, this gets ignored.

The once small, locally owned business that my husband works for, had 47 employees in 2007. Today they employ more than 1,100. And they DID build this themselves!
I think it gets ignored because who wants to live in North Dakota? I read a book about that place once, I think it won the Newbery award and was written by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Lots of near death experiences there, and lots of snow. Why would I want to live there? Poor Laura barely made it out alive. Its been 19 years since I read that book, and it has left a lasting impression about North Dakota, one that reminds me that it snows there, and it snows a lot, and people die, and life up there is very difficult.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,400,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
The people I know with the most education I know in the real world, don't go on and on, the way Oldtrader and the rest do.

Just a thought.
And look who also goes on and on

It is a shame that some people must be told over and over and over before it finally sinks in

Old 09-12-2012, 01:45 AM

Wow, all of this negativity from TVC yet he still doesn't have the ability to explain why California leads the nation in job growth. I wonder why?

I guess his philosophy is when the facts aren't on your side you just keep reposting the same tired old partisan talking points and ignore the facts. Facts, some people might not like them but I think they're useful for determining who is selling BS.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 AM

DeBord Report : Comparing California's economic growth to the US and the world | 89.3 KPCC

Right now California's economy is out performing most of the nation's economy as well as virtually all other first world economies. Those are just facts, even if some people don't like those facts.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 AM

BTW, contrary to the claims made by a person who has a questionable grasp of fact state level tax revenues were actually up last month not down as a certain poster claimed. He just keeps ignoring facts and reality as he types the same old BS and keeps hitting the post button.

California August Revenues Are Up | KPBS.org

So, factually speaking, tax revenue is trending upwards, employment growth is leading the country and is very nearly the best in the first world, and the state's economic growth rate puts it 2nd in the 1st world. Gee, why does a certain poster continue posting outdated info from 2-3 years ago? He really must not like reality.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,801,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
DeBord Report : Comparing California's economic growth to the US and the world | 89.3 KPCC

Right now California's economy is out performing most of the nation's economy as well as virtually all other first world economies. Those are just facts, even if some people don't like those facts.
I made this argument (with articles and data) to someone in the Seattle forum who said that CA was irrevocably in the toilet and doomed, and that WA was growing and adding jobs, and was then told that I was a "troll" and, perplexingly, that I backed up my opinion with facts and research, which made me a nerd...?

Hey, whatever, have fun partying in the streets over the 3600 jobs added up there in July!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or