U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 08:24 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,115,767 times

Advertisements

I've never ever heard of anyone use the term "upstate" in CA and I don't think just because someone writes a Wiki article or some government bureaucrat wants to coin a new phrase it is going to take hold anytime soon. I was born in SoCal, went to college and lived in NorCal for a bit after graduation and been mostly back in SoCal since then and I travel extensively in the northern part of the state and never heard the term. Apparently it was coined in 2001 by some people trying to distinguish themselves from the usual "northern Cal" designation.

As to what it (what ever you call it) is like, it too has different regions in the region. I think the southern North Coast (Mendocino, Fort Bragg) is very different from the northern North Coast (Arcata, Crescent City) just like the middle of the region (Redding, Chico) is very different from the eastern mountain area (Susanville, Alturas) and Tulelake is a world unto itself.

The Northstate has tried to secede before and I can't say as I blame them. They really should split the state into about four states to swing some power to the West. All these tiny podunk states (NH, VT, RI, DL, MD, CT) get two US senators and a lot of say therefore in policy and they are the size of an average county in CA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,320,404 times
Quote:
Have you ever lived in Northern California?
Not Long, 40 years is all.

One of the characteristics of North California is low population, it is a considerably different place than Stockton.

I draw a line, roughly 40 miles north of I 80 from Point Reyes to Colfax, then up I80 to the state line.

Quote:
First of all, we never call it "North California"
But Hank Williams Jr and I do:
Quote:
I had a good friend in New York City
He never called me by my name, just hillbilly
My grandpa taught me how to live off the land
And his taught him to be a businessman
He used to send me pictures of the Broadway nights
And I’d send him some homemade wine

But he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife
For forty three dollars my friend lost his life
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old forty five
'Cause a country boy can survive, country folks can survive

'Cause you can’t starve us out and you can’t make us run
Cause one of ‘em old boys raisin' ole shotgun
And we say grace and we say maam
And if you ain't into that we don't give a damn

We’re from North California and south Alabama
And little towns all around this land
And we can skin a buck, we can run a crop line
And a country boy can survive, country folks can survive

Quote:
Compared to the higher elevation wilderness of Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen (5,000 to 14,000 ft) those towns are lower elevation. I was not comparing the towns in Northeastern California with Sacramento Valley towns.
Your statement is accurate, most towns are at lower elevations than mountain peaks.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 AM

7,150 posts, read 8,450,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I've never ever heard of anyone use the term "upstate" in CA and I don't think just because someone writes a Wiki article or some government bureaucrat wants to coin a new phrase it is going to take hold anytime soon. ...
Again, I am not promoting the term "upstate [California]", or justifying it, recommending it, praising it, encouraging it, glorifying it, or using it to bake pies ... however, I am reporting that I hear it and see it used at times ... some by people there.

Mostly, I refer to north of Pt. Reyes (as .highnlite designated) as Canada.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:47 AM

4,415 posts, read 4,420,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

Your statement is accurate
Touché! Ok, so You and Hank Williams Jr. (in a song) call it "North California", but the other 15 Million call it "Northern California", "NorCal" and "Northern Cal".

Are you sure he didn't mean "North Carolina and Alabama"?

Old 09-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Are you sure he didn't mean "North Carolina and Alabama"?
A. note that my quote was a quote.
B.
A Country Boy Can Survive - YouTube

at minute 3:44

Quote:
but the other 15 Million call it "Northern California", "NorCal" and "Northern Cal".
A silly thing to quibble over, I think that you are quibbling because I corrected you. Google North California, first page, 15 references to North California.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:01 AM

From 2012 Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development :

Site Regions

Upstate California

Located halfway between Canada and Mexico, high technology, food processing, medical equipment, software development, distribution, wood products, and other niche manufacturing fields prosper upstate. Nearly every part of the region is connected by rail service and a growing network of state and interstate highways, making overnight access to California and Pacific Northwest markets and ports, and two-day truck trips to Las Vegas, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Boise a reality. The Port of Humboldt Bay boasts deep-water port capabilities. Upstate California combines affordable real estate options with low cost and reliable utilities, abundant water supplies, and high-capacity telecommunications technology. A strong commitment to environmental quality shows in the ancient forests, crystal clear lakes, and outdoor recreational activities.

Site Regions

Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Sort by: Relevance | Newest
Results per page:

Upstate Pride Oval Decal

$4.50Details »

See all products from the Upstate Pride Decal design collection »

Cute Upstate California T-Shirt

$29.50Details »

See all products from the Upstate California design collection »

Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 AM

4,415 posts, read 4,420,936 times
^^^^^
I guess, Governor Moonbeam is starting a trend, I think his economic team are the only ones calling it "upstate california". Only time will tell if the term sticks. Of all the people I know who live up there, nobody calls it upstate california.

Funny, we are just now leaving for a camping trip to "Upstate California" - MacKerricher State Park near Ft. Bragg. It just does not sound right at all. I'll be sure to use the term with the locals and see how it goes.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
^^^^^
I guess, Governor Moonbeam is starting a trend, I think his economic team are the only ones calling it "upstate california". Only time will tell if the term sticks. Of all the people I know who live up there, nobody calls it upstate california.

Funny, we are just now leaving for a camping trip to "Upstate California" - MacKerricher State Park near Ft. Bragg. It just does not sound right at all. I'll be sure to use the term with the locals and see how it goes.
I agree the term is not common ... but I wander about "upstate" a lot and have noticed it a few times ... now that this thread has amused me, and I googled the term (with quotes to limit) and got 122,000 hits, it is more than just the governor's office ... there's an upstatecalifornia.com website ... and a smattering of this and that others accounting for most of the hits ... a bunch from Chico state ...

I'm starting to find the term a bit catchy ... like an advertising jingle you wish you wouldn't remember ... but, who knows -- maybe it will grow fondly on me ...

Old 09-01-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
^^^^^

The use of a term that was meant to be disparaging, yet the reasons for that term were ideas put out by Jerry Brown, that have, for the most part come to pass. Therefore Governor Moonbeam is a euphemism for Governor ahead of his time.

Use of the term moon beam indicates a particular political bent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or