U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2012, 07:08 AM

454 posts, read 272,563 times

Advertisements

This is a term i actually just learned existed however it refers i believe to the rest of california north of the Bay Area region and sacramento.

What is is like there? Would it compare more to the pacific north-west or the bay area or is it quite unique in itself? Who do upstate californians more identify with?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 AM

6,390 posts, read 3,429,080 times
I have never heard the term upstate California. Start with this, Northern California is about the size of Ohio, Ohio has around 5 million people. Northern California as no more than 500,000.

It is largely empty, rural, mountainous, aside from the Sacramento Valley and the north east plateau lands, it is agricultural. It is largely an economic colony of the rest of the state. It contains a number of volcanoes and the worlds smallest complete mountain range.

Last edited by .highnlite; 08-31-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 08-31-2012, 08:40 AM

25,094 posts, read 32,552,653 times
There is no such place as 'Upstate California', at least as far as common geographic terms used by most Californians.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 AM

10,383 posts, read 13,736,660 times
Upstate California? Forgetaboutit that is a New York Term, as in Upstate New York. I have only ever heard Northern California, Southern California, Central California, or just California in reference to this state of ours. When I was living in Iowa I would always say I am from Southern California. Someone that I met in Iowa claimed that of the people she has met from California they would say that they are from California, unless they were from Southern California then they would say Southern California. She wanted to know why that was. I have no idea, or if other places within the state have taken to calling themselves as part of the specific region within the state. Maybe others can answer that.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:42 AM

7,151 posts, read 4,311,831 times
Not commenting on the correctness, or incorrectness, of the term ... just informing:
Upstate California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upstate California Business Opportunities, Economic Development | Upstate CA EDC

Upstate California Connect Consortium

There are 122,000 hits on Google for an "upstate California" search ...
including official, .gov, California State webpages ...

I have actually heard the term numerous times.
Of course, it is also true I spend more than half my time in California in "upstate" California
Nice area of the country.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 AM

13,462 posts, read 16,157,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I have never heard the term upstate California. Start with this, Northern California is about the size of Ohio, Ohio has around 5 million people. Northern California as no more than 500,000.

It is largely empty, rural, mountainous, aside from the Sacramento Valley and the north east plateau lands, it is agricultural. It is largely an economic colony of the rest of the state. It contains a number of volcanoes and the worlds smallest complete mountain range.
Ohio actually has 11.5 million folks, in an area the size of "upstate California".

I'd say the area is somewhat like Oregon, once you get away from the Portland area.

Regarding population density, it seems to be more like Idaho or Montana.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:51 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,741,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
the worlds smallest complete mountain range.
Are you referring to the Sutter Buttes? I've always been intrigued by them -- too bad they're all private and can only be visited with special permission.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM

4,258 posts, read 2,413,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Are you referring to the Sutter Buttes? I've always been intrigued by them -- too bad they're all private and can only be visited with special permission.
You can arrange hikes through the Middle Mountain Foundation.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:07 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,311,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
This is a term i actually just learned existed however it refers i believe to the rest of california north of the Bay Area region and sacramento.

What is is like there? Would it compare more to the pacific north-west or the bay area or is it quite unique in itself? Who do upstate californians more identify with?
Couple more quick comments re: "upstate ...
"upstate" is, like all of California, very diverse ... it includes mostly cool, wet forest along the far northern coast, which is readily identifiable with the Pacific NW, where I live part of the year ... but also becomes morstly arid-ish along the I-5 northern-most corridor, somewhat reminiscent of of western states' landscape, without any real coastal feel (Weed, Yreka, etc. country) ... as one goes south to Redding along I-5 it gets hotter than blazes in summer -- while just an adventuresome short (as the crow flies) drive west drops one back on foggy, isolated coast. East of I-5 along all of this, throughout the Lassen area, is just nearly all forested wilderness until almost south to Chico. Truly a great wilderness.

The whole northern "upstate" is sparsely populated ... and the residents up there don't much identify with anybody else. They are a tribe unto themselves. Although the folks in the Eurkea / Arcata / Crescent City corner somewhat resemble true Northwesterners, what with their mossy backs and webbed feet.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:16 PM

19,007 posts, read 16,238,127 times
Without parsing terms, NorCal is simply beautiful; far more so than most of SoCal in my estimation. It contains a rugged, scenic coastline, redwoods, some quaint towns and villages, and some delightfully independent people, many of whom are as rugged as the topography. Much of it is economically depressed but you can't beat the seafood or the natural wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California