U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2012, 06:31 PM

157 posts, read 210,425 times

Advertisements

this isn't abt me...I live in Canada and have an online friend in CA...she is down to her last cent literally, no family, can't work b/c of disability...has applied for ssdi(?) for 3rd time and still hasn't heard....she will be evicted tomorrow her rent is due, has no money for gas for her car, nor food....I don't know what to suggest....is there anywhere people in such dire straits can turn to in CA???????? help with suggestions please.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 06:37 PM

42,935 posts, read 19,853,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricats View Post
this isn't abt me...I live in Canada and have an online friend in CA...she is down to her last cent literally, no family, can't work b/c of disability...has applied for ssdi(?) for 3rd time and still hasn't heard....she will be evicted tomorrow her rent is due, has no money for gas for her car, nor food....I don't know what to suggest....is there anywhere people in such dire straits can turn to in CA???????? help with suggestions please.
What part of California does she live in? If she is in the Los Angeles area, one of our churches will be able to help her. The Los Angeles Dream Center. Los Angeles Dream Center | Center for Religion & Civic Culture

If she doesn't live in the LA area, then I'm sure there are churches and organizations in her area that will be able to help her. They might not be able to pay her rent to keep her from getting evicted, but just to give her temporary housing until she gets back on her feet.

Good luck.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:41 PM

157 posts, read 210,425 times
thx for the reply....she's in sacramento, but has a dog too that she will have to give up if she goes to a shelter of some sort????? I feel so terribly helpless and worried for her...

Old 08-31-2012, 09:08 PM

4,953 posts, read 3,160,762 times
Maybe that church might even know some people in the Sacramento area that could help her. Would it be possible for either you or she to try to contact them? Maybe she could contact an animal shelter in the area too, they never liked to see good pet owners have to give up their dog, they may know some people too. Does she still have a phone?

This is a bad time trying to reach people over this holiday. Are you sure they plan to do it tomorrow? Sometimes the media will take an interest in these stories too. If I knew more about her I would try and help. I'm in Iowa, but I don't mind making calls and such.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 PM

21,389 posts, read 23,081,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricats View Post
Do you know her really, really good? She might be one of the impostors who wants you to send her money.....
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-01-2012, 12:53 AM

25,477 posts, read 16,767,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Do you know her really, really good? She might be one of the impostors who wants you to send her money.....
THIS!!! Sounds like a serious scam to me. Anyone who doesn't have a soul in the world to turn to for help and advice except for an out of the country online friend...well, don't be a chump is all I'm going to say.
Anyway, she isn't going to be evicted the day her rent is due, the 1st of the month I'm assuming. Eviction is a process that takes time and if she is really disabled it will take even longer.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:05 AM

15,225 posts, read 25,224,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I thought the very same thing right off the bat reading about this "online friend's" tale of woe. OP is in Canada and online friend is in CA ... online friend is "disabled" (sure she is!), no job - can't work (of course not!), has NO family (they were all killed in an earthquake), literally down to her last cent (uh huh ... keep going ...), has applied for SSI THREE TIMES (hmmm ... only three times???!!!) and has not heard back from SSI yet (right ......), is going to be evicted tomorrow (poor thing), has no food (yeah, and ...), no money for gas (so, sell the car ...), yet she has INTERNET (life's full of tough choices - should I pay my rent, buy food, get a job .. or should I keep my internet??? Guess I'll keep my internet!). AND......... just for major "sympathy points" she has a DOG that she is going to have to put into a shelter!!!!!

I've run across this very scam numerous times throughout my career. I just hope the OP isn't as gullible as he/she appears to be. But my hunch is he/she has already sent money to help this poor, downtrodden "online friend". After this "friend" receives the money the OP will NOT hear from this "friend" again, unless the OP is really gullible and the "friend" is certain she can squeeze more money out of this symapthetic, caring (naive) soul.

Hopefully I'm wrong ..... but I don't think so.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:40 AM

Ya know you can use the internet at the library for free. I know what you are saying, but as long as all this person does is try to get some social service help for her, what harm can come of that?

Is it better to do nothing at all, and assume everyone is a scammer? You all are assuming a lot when you have no idea about their friendship and so on. You have it all figured out, everyone in trouble is a scammer. I'm cynical too, yet I know there are people that really do need help and have no where to turn. Maybe you don't know how tough it is to get ssdi and how it usually takes people multiple tries or what its like to have a disability and be totally alone except for a pet. I'm glad to see the OP has a heart and is concerned about her friend rather than do nothing at all. That is one of the major problems in the world, people talk and do nothing. Oh yes, then at Christmas the same people are full of phony caring. Actually it makes me quite sick people like that.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:53 AM

21,389 posts, read 23,081,435 times
If she is using the internet at the library, then she could also use all the library resources to get help. There are many ways to get some relief when times are hard, and many places to apply for assistance. And this compilation of all the worst luck is just a bit suspicious to me.
Maybe I am wrong, but OP should be careful especially when asked to provide financial help.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to find all those links on the internet. ( it took me 20 min incl. reading the links )
Here is a list:
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/energy/El...billassist.htm utility assistance
http://www.ehow.com/how_4869397_qual...h-welfare.html emergency cash aid
http://www.grantnow.com/members/14.php grands for disabled
http://www.disabled-world.com/disability/finance/ low income finance
http://www.oconestop.com/servicesDet...m?serviceID=12 disability services
http://www.ehow.com/info_8567240_fin...-families.html assistance to pay rent
http://www.cdss.ca.gov/cdssweb/entre...nceProgram.pdf all kinds of assistance programs
http://www.car.org/media/pdf/103277/ rental assistance - great resource with many links

Good luck!
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by elnina; 09-01-2012 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: links

Old 09-01-2012, 04:49 AM

Some of you people have no empathy at all and you assume without knowing one specific thing about this person. The OP asked for advice for social service support in the Sacramento area, thats it! If you can't be helpful, bloody well don't bother typing.

Do you know what its like to be sick and alone. If she is trying to get ssdi, it could well be she has a mental health problem. People don't function at 100 percent when they have these kinds of problems, coupled with that, people that have seen no help from the system, begin to fear the authorities. This is particularly true of people with mental health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California