Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 02:29 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,728 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, it's been a while since i last posted and it's good to be back on this website =) Anyways i have concerns about my potential move to Arcata, Ca. I want to attend school for my bachelor's program at CSU Humboldt but i have real concerns about the culture out in Humboldt County. More specifically in Arcata where i would be attending school. I have heard from other posts that Arcata has become a not so safe place to live with the drug problems there and it is a big concern of mine. I want to attend school and not be distracted by this stuff so i have been searching other schools with forestry programs. The thing is that i imagine there's not a better program in the country for forestry majors than CSU Humboldt since the redwoods are quite literally in their backyard. I was hoping maybe you guys might have some advice for me about my potential move there up in humboldt next year. I don't want to be consumed in a culture that revolves around drugs but at the same time i don't know of a better place to obtain my degree in forestry. I'm really conflicted about this and was hoping maybe you guys can give me advice.

Thanks =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 02:57 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
It is an excellent Forestry school, and there are plenty of non pot smoking students. You will be glad you went.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:00 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
The crime in Arcata is seldom violent crime, mostly property crime. As in, don't leave ANYTHING in your car you can't do without. As long as you use common sense, don't hang with shady folks, you'll be fine. And yes, it is the right school for your interests. Welcome to Humboldt!

Old 09-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Yeah that makes sense. I mean i'm from Fresno and for the most part even though it is one of the most violent cities in the US..i've been doing ok here... maybe i'm just a bit worried about the move altogether lol thanks for the encouraging advice =)

Old 09-03-2012, 03:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
After Fresno, you will feel you have died and gone to heaven in Arcata.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
During my time, close to 40 years in a nearby state's Forestry Division I would say the most of the professional Foresters, Biologists, Range Cons, etc had gone to Humboldt. It isn't just the classes you take, it is the professional relationships you will build that are critical to your major.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:25 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
Hi guys, it's been a while since i last posted and it's good to be back on this website =) Anyways i have concerns about my potential move to Arcata, Ca. I want to attend school for my bachelor's program at CSU Humboldt but i have real concerns about the culture out in Humboldt County. More specifically in Arcata where i would be attending school. I have heard from other posts that Arcata has become a not so safe place to live with the drug problems there and it is a big concern of mine. I want to attend school and not be distracted by this stuff so i have been searching other schools with forestry programs. The thing is that i imagine there's not a better program in the country for forestry majors than CSU Humboldt since the redwoods are quite literally in their backyard. I was hoping maybe you guys might have some advice for me about my potential move there up in humboldt next year. I don't want to be consumed in a culture that revolves around drugs but at the same time i don't know of a better place to obtain my degree in forestry. I'm really conflicted about this and was hoping maybe you guys can give me advice.

Thanks =)
After living in Fresno, the only thing you'll have to worry about is having enough warm clothes.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 15,407 times
Arcata is a very safe place to live, but the weather will be a lot different from Fresno.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
I will second it on the weather, this was one of our foggiest summers in 20 years. The sun came out all of two weeks from June to the beginning of autumn in September and we had 4 days of Indian summer last week with the hottest being 83º, but the heat is only about 7 miles inland and it got to 90. It rarely got to less than 60 on any given day. But if you are a sun worshiper, then be prepared to drive or bike inland often. It is not like this all the time, we do have some nice sunny days in the 60's and 70's. You will have plenty of forest to observe and study here, even right in Arcata with their own community redwood forest. Of course we also have the most expensive gas prices generally, right now it is $4.79 for regular and the cheapest is at Costco at $4.49. But it is easy to bicycle any where here, except in the winter when it is raining. It is really all blown out of proportion about the drugs here, I saw more drug problems and crime when I lived in Oakland and Berkeley. It is really quite safe up here, crime wise.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks for all the responses everyone I feel a lot better about my decision to go to school at CSU Humboldt....although i like warm weather, I can definitely take a few years off of dealing with 100 degree weather =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California