Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 28,709 times

Advertisements

hello there,

my husb and i are planning to buy a house in riverbank, and start a family, need your honest opinion regarding the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 02:55 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,404 times
Don't know a thing about it, except that it will be about 100 degrees all summer

Old 09-28-2006, 10:54 AM

313 posts, read 833,922 times
not all summer... I don't think that Riverbank is that great of an area.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:07 PM

thanks guys, riverbank is north of modesto, small place, appreciate your replies.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisay_uk View Post
thanks guys, riverbank is north of modesto, small place, appreciate your replies.
Yes, it is a small place. It is growing tho. I lived there for awhile, my Mom and Sis a little longer than I. Sis went to HS there. Do you have any specific questions?

Old 10-02-2006, 12:17 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
I used to live on Valley Home Rd. outside of Oakdale when I was a kid and my parents still live in Oakdale which is very close to Riverbank. I'm not impressed with Riverbank myself, and it floods. If I were you, I'd look into Oakdale which is MUCH nicer. I'd also stay out of Modesto which is now about 200,000. I remember when Carver Rd. there was the northern boundary before the Vintage Fair Mall had been built. I moved there in 1975 when Modesto was 60,000. Now it's considered one of the top overvalued housing markets in the nation along with Merced, California and prices may tumble up to 30-40% is the fear. I wouldn't buy any houses in the Modesto/Oakdale/Riverbank areas just yet, but rent and wait until the housing market corrects itself. Jump in when the prices are back to real.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I used to live on Valley Home Rd. outside of Oakdale when I was a kid and my parents still live in Oakdale which is very close to Riverbank. I'm not impressed with Riverbank myself, and it floods. If I were you, I'd look into Oakdale which is MUCH nicer. I'd also stay out of Modesto which is now about 200,000. I remember when Carver Rd. there was the northern boundary before the Vintage Fair Mall had been built. I moved there in 1975 when Modesto was 60,000. Now it's considered one of the top overvalued housing markets in the nation along with Merced, California and prices may tumble up to 30-40% is the fear. I wouldn't buy any houses in the Modesto/Oakdale/Riverbank areas just yet, but rent and wait until the housing market corrects itself. Jump in when the prices are back to real.
My g'parents lived out in Valley Home! I spent lots of time out that way when I was younger.

Sadly, Oakdale and Valley Home are not what they used to be.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
Yes, it is a small place. It is growing tho. I lived there for awhile, my Mom and Sis a little longer than I. Sis went to HS there. Do you have any specific questions?
thanks for the reply, what i'd like to know is, is it safe to live there?, how's the crime rate and in modesto i have heard there are some areas we need to avoid? is this true, and somebody quoted it floods,.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:09 PM

thanks for all your replies, appreciate the help. we'd definitely look into it before we decide on moving.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:34 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,404 times
Consider this. The Central Valley towns, are on flat ground, the topography is .... well,,,, flat. As you move east from the towns the land begins to rise. You have your choice of terrain (which may or may not be important to you) The terrain in the rolling or hilly country can give you a sense of space and privacy, somefolk want a home high on a ridge with expansive views, some folk want a home tucked into a cove, or glade, or valley sheltered with trees giving shade and privacy..

It seems, from reading this site, that most people do not make the house and site itself a priority, but rather the amenities of the community. But,, since you spend most of your time at your house, you want to consider your location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California