U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM

754 posts, read 689,395 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving into California next month and carrying my things with a UHaul. The moving companies we got estimates from (but opted to not use) mentioned having a Gypsy Moth Self Inspection form completed for the driver.

They provided a USDA pamphlet with a self inspection checklist and a place to sign saying the inspection has been completed.

Has anybody made a similar move and been asked about an inspection when crossing into the state? Is that form all we need?

I've done some research on the web, but am hoping somebody with some personal experience can chime in.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,142 times
Hello,

Thank you for asking this important question. The last thing you want to do is bring along a gypsy moth infestation to your new neighborhood. Their caterpillars can strip the leaves off trees and shrubs, possibly killing these plants after a few years of defoliation, and they can create an unpleasant mess. Gypsy moth egg masses and other life stages can hitchhike on outdoor items like grills, patio furniture, vehicles, lawn tools, and playground equipment to infest whole new areas.

Thatís why USDA requires that people who are moving from an area infested with gypsy moth to a non-infested area to inspect all of their outdoor household items and remove any signs of gypsy moth prior to moving. You may do the inspection yourself as outlined in the brochure, or you may call your local USDA office ([URL="http://www.aphis.usda.gov/StateOffices"]www.aphis.usda.gov/StateOffices[/URL]) or state department of agriculture (nationalplantboard.org/member).

The signed checklist must remain with the goods as they are moved in case they are requested along the way or at the California state border. This checklist is the only form required by USDA. You can learn more about gypsy moth and how to make sure you donít move gypsy moth to your new residence at USDAís website at [URL="http://www.hungrypests.com/YourMoveGypsyMothFree"]www.hungrypests.com/YourMoveGypsyMothFree[/URL].

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Regards,

Julie Spaulding
National Program Manager
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Telephone: (301)851-2184

Last edited by GypsyMothProgram; 09-19-2012 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Since I deleted the first post, I removed the explanation for the second post.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the information. Seems easy enough.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 PM

5,744 posts, read 7,204,035 times
Unless you're renting the little tow thing attached to a trailer hitch, don't use U-Haul because they truly suck as a company.
Do you have moth balls?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 PM

1,175 posts, read 994,474 times
Moth ball wouldn't kill them,I don't think. They would lay their eggs (they look distinctive) on the outside of the object. Thank you for taking the time to check for those horrible things. They can denude entire hillsides if they get out of check, and being an invasive exotic pest, that can happen very easily. You don't want to spread these things to another part of the country. They killed a small tree of ours in just one spring.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:46 PM

5,744 posts, read 7,204,035 times
No, I was just asking a very personal question there. Curiosity got the best of me again!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,342,369 times
What is baffling me is: why would anyone want to haul gypsy-moths anywhere when they can fly by themselves? Silly people.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 PM

On the flipside, why fly when you can just hitch a ride?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 PM

1,175 posts, read 994,474 times
The thing is that it is important to check your vehicle for catapillars and egg masses before driving out. That is one way they can spread. They can hitch a ride, so to speak, as have many other invasives. The damage they do is horrific. I have seen entire hillsides of trees denuded as if it is Winter. Hopefully, they will never make it to the West coast. Could they eventually fly there? Let's hope not.

Check your vehicle. Help stop it before it starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California