U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 07:47 AM

8,759 posts, read 11,463,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
One thing about Ridgecrest, if a person loves to explore desert and mountain backroads, it doesn't get much better. Just carry along good maps + compass or good GPS, because there won't be signs or people around to point you the way back to the pavement.
True that. Also, many of the rural dirt roads, such as those in Inyokern, Buttermilk/China Lake Acres, or the incorporated parts of Ridgecrest don't carry any street signs. I used to deliver pizza there, and a lot of times you would have to guess as to which street you were on, or drive to a mailbox and hope it would have the street name written on it. Not a whole lot of fun in the dark!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 07:31 PM

35 posts, read 84,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
My personal favorite parts of town are the Deeter Tract, and the SE part of town E of Sunland, S of Ridgecrest Blvd, and N of Church. Much of town can appear run down, and there are plenty of tract houses to be found. Buttermilk Acres/Inyokern has some of the most beautiful views of the Sierra Nevada, those areas really turned me on to rural living in the future.
If by Deeter tract you refer to homes built by John Deeter, I can say he built many excellent homes in Lancaster in the 60's and 70's.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra56 View Post
If by Deeter tract you refer to homes built by John Deeter, I can say he built many excellent homes in Lancaster in the 60's and 70's.
Hmmm, I'm not sure, but likely the same guy. That's about the age of the Deeter homes in Ridgecrest as well. A little unorthodox in the floor plan department, but very appealing nonetheless.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:48 AM

8 posts, read 29,847 times
Default Inyokern has much better Sierra Mt. Views

Inyokern has some of the BEST views of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and Indian Wells Valley. If you're lucky enough to find a property bordering the base then you also have great views of the hills/Mountains without another neighbor in sight. That said, be careful and make sure you have good water. Some wells without filter systems have so much mineral owners can't use swamp coolers without daily maintenance.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:11 PM

9 posts, read 22,423 times
Default Moving unknowingly into LDS territory

I'm sure what you say is spot-on. We moved several years ago from Newman in Stanislaus county to Queen Creek, Arizona. We had no idea how much the East Valley in particular is controlled by LDS, for example, in Mesa, public high schools are built with raised walkways connecting them to the LDS temple across the street so that the students can go for their prayers AND GET SCHOOL CREDIT for it. During School Hours! The neighbors wouldn't let their kids play with ours and would leave the park if our kids came to play (they were 2 & 5, very dangerous and corrupting, for sure).
We are back in California, now, looking at the Antelope Valley or Coachella Valley. It looks like La Quinta is the only good option for families, but seems too expensive. Ridgecrest was looking good until I read what you've said. We're not going to repeat that mistake. East Palmdale has some nice looking areas but I'm not impressed with what I've read about the schools. How is Acton?

Old 07-07-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBoo View Post
I'm sure what you say is spot-on. We moved several years ago from Newman in Stanislaus county to Queen Creek, Arizona. We had no idea how much the East Valley in particular is controlled by LDS, for example, in Mesa, public high schools are built with raised walkways connecting them to the LDS temple across the street so that the students can go for their prayers AND GET SCHOOL CREDIT for it. During School Hours! The neighbors wouldn't let their kids play with ours and would leave the park if our kids came to play (they were 2 & 5, very dangerous and corrupting, for sure).
We are back in California, now, looking at the Antelope Valley or Coachella Valley. It looks like La Quinta is the only good option for families, but seems too expensive. Ridgecrest was looking good until I read what you've said. We're not going to repeat that mistake. East Palmdale has some nice looking areas but I'm not impressed with what I've read about the schools. How is Acton?
Ridgecrest is nothing like that. Ridgecrest isn't a LDS town (even though they have a church), there are Christian churches of most denominations around, and it's people are far from being cult-like as you mentioned. The only thing I would say is, if you are different (if you aren't white and republican), you might have a harder time adjusting to Ridgecrest culture.

If you can't afford La Quinta, you'll have a hard time affording Acton.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 PM

9 posts, read 22,423 times
Default La Quinta-Acton- California City? or Mojave?

Hi David:
My husband is a high-level manager for a large multi-national company with inumerable contracts everywhere, We are looking for a climate as hot as Arizona without the lousy schools or lousy attitude towards Latinos. We are a mixed couple, I am so-called white, his parents came from Spain & Mexico. My husband is a USAF & CHP veteran, yet people in Ripon will still say things like "Who knew a Mexican could tie a tie?" etc. We want an affordable area that will not consume every dollar for housing but with good schools. I don't think this is naiive. I am qualified to work in engineering support for semiconductors, defense (currently working at a BRAC facility), or government. We've made mistakes in the past based on emotional reaction to an area or what we thought was a great opportunity. Our sons are almost 6 & almost 9 now and we don't want to make them move but one more time.
How would you compare Ridgecrest with California City or Mojave?

thanks

Old 07-08-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBoo View Post
Hi David:
My husband is a high-level manager for a large multi-national company with inumerable contracts everywhere, We are looking for a climate as hot as Arizona without the lousy schools or lousy attitude towards Latinos. We are a mixed couple, I am so-called white, his parents came from Spain & Mexico. My husband is a USAF & CHP veteran, yet people in Ripon will still say things like "Who knew a Mexican could tie a tie?" etc. We want an affordable area that will not consume every dollar for housing but with good schools. I don't think this is naiive. I am qualified to work in engineering support for semiconductors, defense (currently working at a BRAC facility), or government. We've made mistakes in the past based on emotional reaction to an area or what we thought was a great opportunity. Our sons are almost 6 & almost 9 now and we don't want to make them move but one more time.
How would you compare Ridgecrest with California City or Mojave?

thanks
Ridgecrest

1. Climate as hot as Arizona, check
-You will however have a winter, highs in the 40's-50's, lows in the 20's-30s.

2. Good schools, check (disclaimer: read what I previously said about them)
-If you are willing to conform to the Ridgecrest ethos; real old-fashioned American values.

3. Lousy attitudes towards Latinos, check
-I'm really surprised your husband would hear comments in Ripon. I thought the Modesto area would be a little more accepting considering the large Latino population there. That is exactly the kind of comment you would hear in Ridgecrest. I've yet to figure out the formula for a place where people are more tolerant and not so rude about outward appearances or cultures. I personally (I'm half-white/half-mexican) never received comments in Southern California (very diverse), or Washington state (not so diverse). It's a shame that someone who has given as much public service as your husband would be treated in such a way.

I don't blame you for wanting a high quality-of-life at a minimal price. That's not naive at all. I think the "good schools" thing is relative. That could mean anything; remember, you can't judge a school just on test scores.

California City is pretty much a bunch of subdivisions in the middle of NOWHERE. The services are pretty minimal and many people go to Ridgecrest or Lancaster to shop. Children in California City are bussed to Mojave for high school. If you decide on California City for work, live there too because it isn't close to anything.

Mojave is a truck stop town. Pretty much one strip (CA-14), with gas stations and fast food. There's also train tracks. Not a whole lot there.

If I were faced with those three choices, I wouldn't pick any of them, I'd pick Rosamond. Have you heard of Rosamond? It's just south of Mojave, about 15-20 minutes max. Here's why:

It's hot. My girlfriend briefly attended its schools and enjoyed them. I would think people are more accepting, since it is close to Lancaster/Palmdale, which is full of diverse LA transplants. It's affordable. It has a Fosters Freeze that makes Nerds Twisters. There's a grocery store and fast food. It grew a lot during the housing boom, there's lots of new subdivisions on the outskirts of town. Lancaster is 15 minutes away. It's right next to Edwards AFB. It's typical small town America, and I would always look for an excuse to stop there. Mojave and California City are both within commuting distance if that's where you/or husband need to work. I'd definitely look into it if I were you.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:26 AM

8 posts, read 29,847 times
Default What about traffic?

If you are comparing Ridgecrest to Palmdale/Lancaster don't leave out that the population in the Palmdale/Lancaster area amounts to ALOT of traffic. Ridgecrest has very little. And if you commute 15 minutes in from Inyokern there is none. Yes, Rosamond and Palmdale/Lancaster have more stores and man made amenities, but they also come at a price of alot more people and traffic. Ridgecrest is becoming much more diverse with all the people moving in for BRAC. But there is alot to be said for Rush minutes instead of rush hour. IMO Inyokern is one of the few places you can live on acreage with awesome views of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and the kids can ride horses or ATV's right from their own driveways. Pretty hard to beat. If you choose the China Lake NAWS base, don't limit yourself to the higher prices in Ridgecrest (that are still way less than Cal City or Palmdale/Lancaster) without checking out Inyokern.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 PM

8 posts, read 42,651 times
Default Hacienda Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Hacienda Court is nice. (150 Miguel St right?) The complex is wedged between a Comfort Inn and Motel 6. Mostly temporary base-workers there. I believe all apartments are two stories with a garage, I also think there is a community pool and weight room as well.
Hacienda Court is absolutely, positively INSANELY expensive, in comparison to all other rents in the town. At least this is based on my personal shopping experience performed in late 2001 when I moved back there. The rents are so high that I would expect daily maid service, hotel style, to be included along with all utilities (also hotel style), but I don't believe that's the case. My conclusion was that the reason for it was purely because of the temporary base workers. The rent probably comes out to exactly matching the long-term TDY lodging rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California