Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:39 PM

493 posts, read 636,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNJO View Post
If you do a Google search "LDS Ridgecrest" you will get a better response. The city may feel it would not look good if they listed all that existed in the area, it may look unbalanced. The phone book is the place to look, if you can get one!
Like Mesa Ariz, they don't like to broadcast such things. I like you don't like when someone gets fired for what they believe, or kids can't play together because of the church the parents attend.
I have many down to earth LDS friends who don't care for the bad apples any more than the rest of us. Heck my own family goes to church every Sunday and get absolutely nothing out of it; and it shows
One note: if you want to get a taste of Ridgecrest; check in to the Rose Garden, last time I was there, a fine looking woman about 30 was walking buck naked around the pool in broad daylight for a hour or two. somehow she confused Ridgecrest with France!

Steve
KNJO
LOL................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 13,812 times
Hi everyone, I could use a little help looking for an apartment in Ridgecrest (it's really difficult to find apartments when you live 1800 miles away, apparently). I read the comments in the first post, about Briarwood, La Mirage, College Heights, etc. What about Hacienda Court? Does anyone have any experience there? Thanks.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:33 PM

24 posts, read 137,035 times
Default Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
While it would be great for all to assimilate, you can't expect people to assimilate or want to assimilate.
Therein lies the entire problem in essence, making good citizens appear to be racists. I'll agree that people should keep their rude comments to themselves but my family came to Ellis island in an effort to escape the war in Europe. I distinctly remember my great grandmother explaining to her son the reasons why they should assimilate. And that included learning the english language. You can feed me all of the typical mumbo jumbo about indigenous peoples you would like. The fact is, if people don't assimilate they're going to be at the bottom of the working class food chain until they do. I have seen this with my own eyes. My ancestors came here, learned the language and opened stores and shops and became not only well off, but pillars of their local communities. That's what people in small towns are looking for. Simple assimilation. So if some people refuse to assimilate theylll most likely have a hard time in anything other than a large city. Most in Ridgecrest are good people. There are good and bad in any town/city.

Last edited by Count David; 07-01-2015 at 08:37 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 07:19 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv998 View Post
Hi everyone, I could use a little help looking for an apartment in Ridgecrest (it's really difficult to find apartments when you live 1800 miles away, apparently). I read the comments in the first post, about Briarwood, La Mirage, College Heights, etc. What about Hacienda Court? Does anyone have any experience there? Thanks.
Hacienda Court is nice. (150 Miguel St right?) The complex is wedged between a Comfort Inn and Motel 6. Mostly temporary base-workers there. I believe all apartments are two stories with a garage, I also think there is a community pool and weight room as well.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILman1 View Post

Therein lies the entire problem in essence, making good citizens appear to be racists. I'll agree that people should keep their rude comments to themselves but my family came to Ellis island in an effort to escape the war in Europe. I distinctly remember my great grandmother explaining to her son the reasons why they should assimilate. And that included learning the english language. You can feed me all of the typical mumbo jumbo about indigenous peoples you would like.
What I was saying was, in my experience (in Ridgecrest) I had received negative racist comments that were unwarranted. I speak English (only), have dark hair, and a slightly tan tint. I was treated like I (or my parents) had recently come from Mexico, and spoke Spanish at home. No matter how my times I tried correcting certain people, they still assumed the former. As far back as I can tell, my family has spoken English for quite a few generations (on both sides). In Ridgecrest it was very rare if I ran across somebody that didn't speak English.

Quote:
The fact is, if people don't assimilate they're going to be at the bottom of the working class food chain until they do. I have seen this with my own eyes. My ancestors came here, learned the language and opened stores and shops and became not only well off, but pillars of their local communities. That's what people in small towns are looking for. Simple assimilation. So if some people refuse to assimilate theylll most likely have a hard time in anything other than a large city. Most in Ridgecrest are good people. There are good and bad in any town/city.
I see your point. It typically takes 2-3 generations for people to assimilate both culturally and linguistically. Many recent immigrants are fine with being "at the bottom of the working class food chain", for them it may be a step up from what they had in their previous country. Remember, there are plenty of Americans (born and bred), that are perfectly fine being in that stagnant demographic as well.

I couldn't agree with the bold comment more. I have used that in many of my posts.

What I have found in Ridgecrest is, 1) Nice people when you visit; 2) Don't welcome in outsiders for a long/permanent stay; 3) Wonder why you'd want to stay; 4) If you can stick it out for a while you'll have friends for life

I don't regret my time there, I just didn't want it to drag on too long. There's so much more to see and do in this world, and I didn't want to spend my younger years in an isolated small town, and probably won't want to spend any future years in one either.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:45 PM

Default Good points

Very well put, Dave. Ignorance is inexcusable. When I grew up in Ridgecrest it was very racially diverse due to the navy base and nobody I knew would dare castigate someone because of their race. If they did I'm sure they would have been castigated themselves. Perhaps people have digressed and become ignorant once again, but I've been there very recently and have not seen any of this. As a matter of fact I've never seen it there. That being said, maybe it's because I grew up there. Although I would never have guessed someone would be fine working their fingers to the bone for very low wages all of their life.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
That being said, maybe it's because I grew up there.
I probably have a somewhat "distorted" view of where I grew up myself. (Home Gardens, CA; wedged between Corona and Riverside). Outsiders describe it as a gang infested immigrant cesspool that they wouldn't dare drive through, but I see it as home, and I find it hard to find faults with it.

Quote:
Although I would never have guessed someone would be fine working their fingers to the bone for very low wages all of their life.
Or not work at all. I met people in the Ridgecrest trailer parks, or in Buttermilk/China Lake Acres or Ridgecrest Heights that had no desire to even have permanent employment. I knew women that would pop out babies just to get/stay on welfare/food stamps. Let's just say I had a mild form of culture shock, when most of my friends' goal in life was to achieve that ever elusive $15/hr status. I even find that here in Denver. Why?

Thanks OILman, it's good to know two people with extremely different views can find common ground.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 PM

I'm with ya bro. I've lived down south, up north and somewhere in the middle. Those welfare mothers were in almost all of the areas. What I noticed growing up in a small town, was the lack of humility which resonated from some (not all) visitors from various cities. Crass, if you will, thinking Ridgecrest was such a backwards place compared to larger cities that visitors would openly chastise, to each other, the residents. One thing positive which came from such stupidity, was the negative examples set before me so I could learn to respect others' home towns once I started my travels. It's all personal preference. After living in Los Angeles for years I never want to move back to LA. Assimilation is key to showing respect to others. Even nowadays. It matters not to others that I chose to move away from the city, I'll agree. But those things which seem boring, for lack of a better word, are exactly what some people enjoy. The quiet of the desert nights, the beauty of the desert are things which make up for the lack of sport venues or whatever a person may be into.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
But those things which seem boring, for lack of a better word, are exactly what some people enjoy. The quiet of the desert nights, the beauty of the desert are things which make up for the lack of sport venues or whatever a person may be into.
See, that's why Ridgecrest wasn't for me. I needed the sporting venues, attractions etc, because I was used to them (I'm a big sports fan). After living without them, I learned that I needed them. After living in Ridgecrest for a while, I would complain to people that there was nothing to do there. They'd respond with: "What do you mean there's nothing to do here? You can ride quads, go fishing, hunting, camping, biking, swimming, skiing, shooting, barbecueing, bowling etc. (Of course some of those weren't in town, but a short drive to a few hours away). And I wasn't and never had been into most of those things. In Ridgecrest I found myself doing things like working on my car, yard/house, shopping, going out to eat etc. I think it all boils down to what your used to. I'm more the ballgame, concert, comedy show kinda guy.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:32 PM

Some do and some don't, Dave. My enjoyment comes from shooting and fishing, being in the outdoors enjoying nature. I've never really been a sports fan. And attractions? Way too many rude people. Been there done that many times. Although I'll take a good hard rock concert from time to time. I would be one of those people who ask, "What do you mean, there's nothing to do?" But it's all what you make it. If you go in negative you'll most likely come out negative. The difference is, I went into Los Angeles excited and came out very disappointed at all of the rudeness and strangeness of the majority of people I crossed paths with. There are those kinds of people everywhere I realize, but in Los Angeles they were coming out of the woodwork. And it's only going to get worse. I'm just glad to be out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California