Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Well, I was a Greek, quite a long time ago. but that is a whole story all its own.
I do think the Greek Orthodox makes much more sense than Roman Catholic.

I have a multiplicity of Greece stories, one of my favorite countries. As I wrote once in a very overly romantic novel; "Everything we are, the way we think, the very way we conceive our being, we owe to the Greeks."

Last time I was in Greece, we went to Olympia, I raced my daughter on the same grassy track that the ancient Olympians ran on. No matter what else ever happens in our lives, we will share that experience.

As far as needing care? I hope to feed coyotes some day.

Well, when I die
Take my saddle from the wall
Put it on my pony
And lead him from his stall

Tie my bones to his back
Turn our faces to the west
And we'll ride the mountains
That we like the best
You'll have to tell them to me some time.

Aww, such a special and sweet memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
"Te me kangaroo down, Mates
Tie me kangaroo down..."

Old 10-18-2012, 09:18 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Hi,

The person was looking for regular associates in going to dinner, etc, who were not trying to convert them. My Mormon neighbors when I lived in ID were great people BUT if you did not join them, you were an outsider when it came to any significant association. I understand their reasoning, just was pointing out the problem the OP was having which required looking for non Mormon friends in general.
My experience is limited... it was nice to be invited to weddings and things like BBQ's even though I'm not Mormon...

Some think I am because I don't smoke or drink

One of the quickest ways to join a community seems to be through church, children or work... in that order... work can be things like volunteering.

A friend in the Navy didn't know a soul when he was stationed at Alameda Naval Air a few years back... he started to volunteer at the local animal shelter and met his future bride who was also a volunteer... they have lived all over since... Santa Barbara, Washington DC, and Japan and now have decided to retire in California... Roseville to be exact.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-18-2012 at 11:49 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 PM

12 posts, read 11,912 times
Default Southern Oregon

Bakerone,
I have a suggestion for you: Southern Oregon. Many Californians retire there, so you would not be out of place. There are several small cities, but outside the cities, the character is very rural/forested. Medford is kind of a retirement mecca, with many social activities particularly targeted for seniors to meet. It also has a large medical center. Ashland is a small cultural mecca, with the Shakespeare festival (which has spawned other theater and music venues) and excellent restaurants. The coast is an hour or two away. You easily could live surrounded only by horses and owls, yet still spend an evening with friends at dinner and a show. It is in the Agate Desert, so it does get cold and some snow in the middle of winter (but not too extreme) and hot in July/August, but the rest of the year, the weather is mild. I think income taxes are higher than in Idaho, but there is no sales tax.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanarissia View Post
Bakerone,
I have a suggestion for you: Southern Oregon. Many Californians retire there, so you would not be out of place. There are several small cities, but outside the cities, the character is very rural/forested. Medford is kind of a retirement mecca, with many social activities particularly targeted for seniors to meet. It also has a large medical center. Ashland is a small cultural mecca, with the Shakespeare festival (which has spawned other theater and music venues) and excellent restaurants. The coast is an hour or two away. You easily could live surrounded only by horses and owls, yet still spend an evening with friends at dinner and a show. It is in the Agate Desert, so it does get cold and some snow in the middle of winter (but not too extreme) and hot in July/August, but the rest of the year, the weather is mild. I think income taxes are higher than in Idaho, but there is no sales tax.
I have to chuckle. Retire to Oregon! Oh, by the way, it's full of Californians. So how long before it becomes another California and is Californicated by the masses streaming north across the border? It seems to me it would only be a matter of time before the problems one was trying to escape showed up right and their midst. The housing prices have already increased measurably so what will happen next?

Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh, by the way, it's full of Californians.
That's automatically a bad thing?

Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,678,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
You are correct, and in fact historically much of Western NC didn't consider itself the South, but rather "Mountain."
One of my cousin's lives outside of Boone, her house/barn/doghouse sits on a steep slope up a dirt track, she has 11 or 12 dogs, and appears to be a complete Appalachian hillbilly, if you saw her, you would have a hard time accepting that she has a Masters degree from U of Virginia. I done got cousins in Hendersonville, and Asheville, and all over North Carolina, as my uncle used to say, the ****** family are as thick as buzzards in a tree. My mother is from North Carolina. She married and moved to California in 1947, and soon there after, refused to go to NC in the summer. She got spoiled living on the coast of CA.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
That's automatically a bad thing?
Not at all; especially if you love California but don't want to live there???

Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
One of my cousin's lives outside of Boone, her house/barn/doghouse sits on a steep slope up a dirt track, she has 11 or 12 dogs, and appears to be a complete Appalachian hillbilly, if you saw her, you would have a hard time accepting that she has a Masters degree from U of Virginia. I done got cousins in Hendersonville, and Asheville, and all over North Carolina, as my uncle used to say, the ****** family are as thick as buzzards in a tree. My mother is from North Carolina. She married and moved to California in 1947, and soon there after, refused to go to NC in the summer. She got spoiled living on the coast of CA.
I think I would love your cousin. Down to earth, yet educated (and a dog lover to boot)!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:05 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,678,559 times
She is a funny girl, years ago she was married to a guy, they had one of those fine old plantation homes outside of Williamston, he is a tobacco farmer. They went to town, left the waffle iron on, burned the house down. without skipping a beat, they moved into the barn, made half of it home, and the other half the garage for his NASCAR race car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California