Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:42 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,635,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerone View Post
My husband and I retired a couple of years ago, made a long awaited, long researched (and many times visited) move to So. Idaho from So. California. We tried very hard to blend in: changed our cars plates immediately, bought an old farm in the country where we have worked very hard to bring it back in shape (done the work ourselves - have not altered the exterior), joined and became active in a small church, garden, took a class of interest, have NEVER said "in California we do it like this", etc and yet have not made any Idaho friends. We have never been invited to an Idahoans for coffee, food, etc. They are friendly on the surface, but that's it. We are rather conservative, but are often uncomfortable hearing the blatant bigoted comments made in public. We are now seriously considering where to move where people are truly friendly, no matter where you are from. Oh, and we don't like this wind either!
California native here. I've been living in Spokane,Wa. for the last 22 years. Very friendly folks here on the S.Hill area of Spokane and never had any issues about being from California. Lot's of folks here from California,Oregon and the west side of Washington.
Now Idaho that is a different story. Border is 30 miles from Spokane and many work here and live in the Idaho panhandle. For the most part they really think they're special. Met a lot of people there with issues about others moving into "their" state. Other than visiting the more isolated areas which are beautiful I've always found the culture there too limited.
Having just retired myself, I'm moving back to California. I miss the diversity there and am willing to pay the price for it. Life's to short to waste as a hater and live isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
California native here. I've been living in Spokane,Wa. for the last 22 years. Very friendly folks here on the S.Hill area of Spokane and never had any issues about being from California. Lot's of folks here from California,Oregon and the west side of Washington.
Now Idaho that is a different story. Border is 30 miles from Spokane and many work here and live in the Idaho panhandle. For the most part they really think they're special. Met a lot of people there with issues about others moving into "their" state. Other than visiting the more isolated areas which are beautiful I've always found the culture there too limited.
Having just retired myself, I'm moving back to California. I miss the diversity there and am willing to pay the price for it. Life's to short to waste as a hater and live isolated.
Best place for former Californians to retire? California

Old 10-21-2012, 08:49 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,939,161 times
Seems like a good time for a musical interlude,,,

California, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.
California, Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I
Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk
Makin' lazy circles in the sky.

We know we belong to the land
And the land we belong to is grand!
And when we say
Yeeow! Ayipioeeay!
We're only sayin'
You're doin' fine, California!
CALIFORNIA! CA CA!!!!

Humble apologies to OSCAR HAMMERSTEIN and RICHARD RODGERS!

Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 AM

298 posts, read 300,143 times
I used to live in Oregon but had to move to CA for job transfer. I miss my fellow Oregonians! I really like Oregon! Folks in Oregon are really nice and I have happy memories. CA has amazing weather but it is hard to get to know folks as everyone is trying to make a living to live in this expensive state and folks leave at dawn to beat the traffic and are so exhausted from the drive home that they pull the shades and call it a night. The beaches and mountain areas are crowded with folks trying to escape the urban decay on the weekends. I mean its nice we have Disneyland and a lot of attractions but that gets expensive, crowded so you can't enjoy it all the time. I hope to return to Oregon soon. I will take the gray days and drizzly rain over the freeways and crowds. The fast pace lifestyle is great and exciting when you are young but as you get older a slower pace for us is better.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:54 PM

8,175 posts, read 16,565,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Brother's in-laws moved to Colorado Springs from San Barbara 17 years ago... they built a home and loved every minute of it till they started having problems with ice...

He slipped and broke his hip and later found they just were not getting out in the winter...

Last year, they sold their home and bought a Condo in Santa Barbara and said it was the right decision... dealing with snow and ice became just too much for them.

Yes, no matter how many times one visits CO it doesn't compare with living there. There is a romantic notion and misconception on the part of many Californians that the Front Range is Shangri La on the cheap. I can assure you from personal experience in living there and then returning to CA that it is not all its cracked up to be. A few myths many believe:

1. The weather is mild. Its only snows a little compared to much of the country. Wrong. Colorado weather is *Extreme*. You are living on the continental divide usually at 1 mile high and above. Weather changes on a dime. The old saying holds some truth - if you don't like the weather in CO wait 10 minutes. There are really only two seasons: Snow and cold which lasts the majority of the year followed quickly by thunderstorm season. Spring is non-existent. While snow may be light at times throughout the Winter there can also be major blizzards in the Fall and Spring. Winds are extreme and down many trees in neighborhoods with mature trees. Cars are constantly damaged by hale. Your windshield will get cracked and need to be replaced. Slipping and sliding on icey roads becomes a normal annual ritual. Accidents are common place even with folks who own fancy 4x4/all terrains. Elderly slip and fall just trying to do basic daily things like grocery shopping, going to the doctor, going out the get the mail, working on the house, etc...

2. There is plenty to do year round and people are really into the outdoors. Not as much as you might think. Many, dare I say the majority of folks hibernate during cold and snow season. Once the lakes are frozen and trails are covered in snow high up in the Rockies folks just don't venture out as much. Sure the young and restless go skiing/snowboarding. But the average Joe/Jane become home bodies going from work to the store, possibly to the indoor gym and back into their garages again. Even when its not snowing it can be sunnny and 5 degrees out during Winter months. Ppl just don't go out and do normal activities when its that cold.

3. Its great for retirement. This may be the case if you live near family to help out. Otherwise going out in the cold, snow season or thunderstorm season on a regular basis can be dangerous. Heating costs in the Winter can be excessive. The harsh weather requires constant work on the house to keep it up and ready for the next seasonal onslaught. Frozen, broken pipes and flooding are typical occurances. Snow shoveling around one's home is a hassle along with scrapping the ice from one's windowshield regularly. Even middle aged folks throw out there backs shoveling snow. This has happened to my brother and sister-in-law multiple times.

Snow country and retirement are not the greatest combinations, especially for California natives. My Father-in-law retired to CO and just moved back with his wife after ~ 7 years there. They sold their home in Colorado Springs gladly and purchased an affordable home in Santa Maria. They are very happy to not have to deal with all that weather any longer among other less than desirable things. Every place has its pros/cons. But CA was the best option for them at this stage of their lives, especially now that they are closer to family and long time friends.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-27-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 PM

Snow country and retirement are not the greatest combinations, especially for California natives. My Father-in-law retired to CO and just moved back with his wife after ~ 7 years there. They sold their home in Colorado Springs gladly and purchased an affordable home in Santa Maria. They are very happy to not have to deal with all that weather any longer among other less than desirable things. Every place has its pros/cons. But CA was the best option for them at this stage of their lives, especially now that they are closer to family and long time friends.

Derek[/quote]

Like I was saying best place for a former Ca. native to retire is California. I won't have to fight rush hour anything.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:07 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,467,409 times
Quote:
Quote:
Best place for former Californians to retire? California
Quote:

Derek
Like I was saying best place for a former Ca. native to retire is California. I won't have to fight rush hour anything.[/quote]I love the Sierras. Just sayin'. Median home price in my area is 165K. My area is everything that the negative CA is not about (5% of the landmass). Friendly people, no traffic, low crime, clean air and not a plam tree in sight. Oh, but we do get snow. Be warned!

Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 PM

8,175 posts, read 16,565,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Like I was saying best place for a former Ca. native to retire is California. I won't have to fight rush hour anything.
I love the Sierras. Just sayin'. Median home price in my area is 165K. My area is everything that the negative CA is not about (5% of the landmass). Friendly people, no traffic, low crime, clean air and not a plam tree in sight. Oh, but we do get snow. Be warned![/quote]

What's your elevation? Jut curious. The reason I ask is that I think the Sierra Foothill towns are much more livable than much of CO due to its lower elevation and proximity to sea level. Even Yosemite Valley is lower in elevation than the entire front range of CO. Things change the higher one goes in a number of ways.

Derek

Old 10-28-2012, 06:08 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,364,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
YES!! TO ASHEVILLE, NC AREA

We also ended up in a small mountain town 15-20 minutes outside of Asheville, and it is the most beautiful, most friendly, most kindhearted, and most fun place we have EVER lived after 7 different states.
Part of me want to say ... "Exactly!"

Part of me wants to say ... "Let's keep it a secret."

Old 10-28-2012, 10:34 AM

8 posts, read 14,160 times
If your looking for hospitality, Texas is it.

I lived in Seattle for three years and discovered that the people were none too friendly; the Pacific Northwest is very much a mirror of the weather. The people are morose and quiet. No matter how friendly you may be, the character of the population is non-hospitable. I live in Houston so I shake the banner for this state as a place to live (although me and my partner will be moving out of state in several years to escape the humidity, tornado's and hurricane's). There simply isnt a better place to live when it comes to the people. Texans are hospitable to a fault, the state has an independent streak a mile long that runs through everyone and its a fantastic place to raise a family. If your conservative,this is a wonderful place to live. If your a died in the wool liberal, Austin is THE place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California