Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,610 times

Advertisements

I am not really that familiar with the political situation in California, but it is well known that SF and LA have heavily liberal mindset people, while I have heard everybody else is kinda conservative.

It simply happens than both LA and SF (metro areas) have 62% of the entire population of the state.

They say there is a small movement to divide California in two states because Sacramento has proven to not be able to take control of the entire state. The mess up seems to continue, although I am not sure if the economy is finally getting some stabilization. Last time I checked there was a major city in the border of bankruptcy, not sure if it was saved or if it indeed, broke. The problem is what would happen if the counties from, say, Los Angeles to Sonoma, including Santa Barbara, Monterey and possibly Sacramento, separate and form a new state (let's call it West California) and the remainder forms another with San Diego being its only large city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
I am not really that familiar with the political situation in California, but it is well known that SF and LA have heavily liberal mindset people, while I have heard everybody else is kinda conservative.

It simply happens than both LA and SF (metro areas) have 62% of the entire population of the state.

They say there is a small movement to divide California in two states because Sacramento has proven to not be able to take control of the entire state. The mess up seems to continue, although I am not sure if the economy is finally getting some stabilization. Last time I checked there was a major city in the border of bankruptcy, not sure if it was saved or if it indeed, broke. The problem is what would happen if the counties from, say, Los Angeles to Sonoma, including Santa Barbara, Monterey and possibly Sacramento, separate and form a new state (let's call it West California) and the remainder forms another with San Diego being its only large city?
For over 100 years in California history there has been talk in breaking California into two states. One of the reasons is because the state is way too large. For example if you live in San Diego its an 8 hour drive or one hour plane flight to Californias capital in Sacramento.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
For over 100 years in California history there has been talk in breaking California into two states. One of the reasons is because the state is way too large. For example if you live in San Diego its an 8 hour drive or one hour plane flight to Californias capital in Sacramento.
Why is that a problem?

[]

Old 10-17-2012, 11:34 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,610 times
Maybe it is too far for the government to maintain control, counties basically have to do lots of things without the assistance of the state government

Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,883 times
Los Angeles to Sonoma, including Santa Barbara, Monterey and possibly Sacramento, separate and form a new state (let's call it West California)

This doesn't make sense. Sacramento is not even close to LA. Sacramento should go with SF. Maybe two new states can call NorCal and SoCal. Not East and West.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Oh, not this again.

51st state? Small step forward for long-shot 'South California' plan - CSMonitor.com

Old 10-18-2012, 12:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Default What would happen if one day CA divides in two states?

Perhaps everyone would be spared any more threads about it. There must have been at least a dozen thus far.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
This forum needs a "divide California" containment thread like L.A. has for earthquakes.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:58 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perhaps everyone would be spared any more threads about it. There must have been at least a dozen thus far.
Going back several years with hundreds of posts. Popular, fun topic, but getting a bit tedious, with nothing really new to add.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post

Sacramento is also a very liberal city, while some coastal high-population areas like San Diego and Orange County are very conservative, so it isn't really that simple. Individual city governments going bankrupt doesn't have a whole lot to do with state government, it has more to do with Prop. 13 and the way taxes are collected in California, and the after-effects of our most recent economic collapse. There really isn't any need to split the state in two, nor does it supply any great value or offer any great benefit. The inland part of the state needs the tax base provided by the coastal population, while the coast needs the water and resources of the inland region--plus they love to visit! So why bother splitting the state?

There have been plenty of attempts to split the state--dating back to the 1850s, when Southern plantation owners moving to California wanted to carve us into two states (back when Northern California was the big population center, with 75,000 people in the two biggest cities of San Francisco and Sacramento, and Los Angeles had a population of about 2000)--North California, a free state, and South California, a slave state. It would have preserved the long-standing compromise between free and slave states, but anti-slavery forces won out, and California's political domination by the anti-slavery Republicans was in some ways responsible for Abraham Lincoln's presidency--and thus the start of the Civil War. And then of course there was the short-lived campaign to turn southern Oregon and the northern end of California into the state of Jefferson--they just picked the wrong day to start their marketing efforts (December 7, 1941) and kind of got pushed off the front page by other news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California