U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:05 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,096,126 times

Advertisements

Re: playing God--well, ignoring the fact that you could make a really good case that we already play God (my girlfriend is a traditional plant breeder, and they do some incredibly advanced stuff), if religious freedom and choice is really the issue, then why not just buy things that are labeled as GMO-free? Kosher people eat stuff certified Kosher, but if it's not Kosher, there isn't a big label on it that says non-Kosher.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,096,126 times
This article is a really good read for anyone interested in the topic: Meal Six: At Monsanto, I Learned I Am the Problem One Hundred Meals

Old 10-19-2012, 11:18 AM

14,382 posts, read 7,551,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Interesting that you're against big business when it comes to GMO labeling, but not when it comes to getting special-interest money out of politics.

Why is that?
Was this directed to me? I rail against special interest!!!

Is this a rebuke for my position on Prop 32? I find it hypocritical that unions, THE BIGGEST SPECIAL-INTEREST GROUPS OF THEM ALL, are pouring in THREE TIMES the cash to fight it. They've perpetuated the lie that 32 has exemptions for billionaires, which has been proven untrue. 32 scares the sh%$ out of unions, and for the good reasons. They'll not be able to buy politicians.

At the same time, the unions are backing two propositions that will raise taxes for their benefit. What's even more insane, is that they are playing good prop to bad prop? They make one look like a better deal than the other just to ensure a passage of one or the other. Both will raise taxes, both will further the entrenchment OF unions into the political system. AND BOTH 30 and 38 will be subverted just like every other tax is.

What does it tell you when the selling point for a proposition is that "politicians won't be able to steal from it?"

Sacramental has become a real cesspool of corruption.

Your assertion simply doesn't fly. I AM AGAINST SPECIAL INTEREST; that's why I'm against 30 and 38, and for 32 and 37.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:29 PM

1,968 posts, read 2,412,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
Re: playing God--well, ignoring the fact that you could make a really good case that we already play God (my girlfriend is a traditional plant breeder, and they do some incredibly advanced stuff), if religious freedom and choice is really the issue, then why not just buy things that are labeled as GMO-free? Kosher people eat stuff certified Kosher, but if it's not Kosher, there isn't a big label on it that says non-Kosher.
You make some good points on the labeling aspect of it like with Kosher...

Yes, some amazing things can be done with traditional breeding, proving in my mind we do not need Monsanto's "Frankenfood" to feed the world...

A traditional breeder can not put frog genes in a tomato plant or defensive Bacillus thuringiensis bacteria into corns genes... New life forms have developed because of this, maybe linked to miscarriages in live stock... What about us????
Occupy Monsanto bacillus thuringiensis

Additionally,
It is not as easy to patent traditional breed life forms, but it is very easy to patent genetically engineered life forms ... Big difference IMO..

Plant Patents: How Has This Altered Farming Practices? | LegalZoom

The idea that any single entity can own the worlds food supply freaks me out...

Remember the good folks at Monsanto are the same people who told us Agent Orange was safe for our troops, and DDT was OK for the environment... How long before the next in a long series of deceptions from Monsanto is uncovered???
Russia halts imports of Monsanto corn over cancer fears — RT
Monsanto's Dark History 1901-2012

Give the people the right to choose... Give us labeling... This will also help our farmers, our exports are way down because other countries question the safety of GMO's.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:29 PM

5 posts, read 6,160 times
Thumbs up a surprise

And you are surprised? Monsanto is the disease that infects our food supply. Hopefully the uninformed will review your links and learn something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I just received a No on Prop 37 mailer.

The ones pouring money into fighting it are:

MONSANTO (GMO and Roundup ready kingpin)
DuPONT
BASF

AGRO SCIENCE
GMA
ABBOTT LABS/NUTRITION (laugh)
more than 40 major food processors such as Hormell and Sara Lee

They have the nerve to use a raw steak vs. canned dog food to make the claim it isn't fair! How much BS is this?

GMO labeling campaign complains to feds about foes - latimes.com

Look at the list of offenses these croanies are using to perpetuate their lies.

These people don't want to be forced to label foods containing GMOs. Europe and most of Asia have banned GMOs, why aren't we? I want processed food to be labelled so I know what I'm eating. They are using scare tactics because they know that if GMOs are labeled, they'll lose their ASSEtS

Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,029,912 times
Prop 37 = junk science. I voted no.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 6,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
From the California Sec of State Voting Guide:

PROP. 37 CONFLICTS WITH SCIENCE

Biotechnology, also called genetic engineering (GE), has been used for nearly two decades to grow varieties of corn, soybeans and other crops that resist diseases and insects and require fewer pesticides. Thousands of common foods are made with ingredients from biotech crops.

Prop. 37 bans these perfectly safe foods in California unless they’re specially relabeled or remade with higher cost ingredients.

The US Food and Drug Administration says such a labeling policy would “be inherently misleading.”

Respected scientific and medical organizations have concluded that biotech foods are safe, including:
•National Academy of Sciences
•American Council on Science and Health
•Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
•World Health Organization

“There is no scientific justification for special labeling of bioengineered foods.”—American Medical Association, June 2012

Proposition 37 Arguments and Rebuttals | Official Voter Information Guide | California Secretary of State
You might want to review Stanford's Monsanto Ties Cast Doubt on Organic Food Study (Commentary by Alan Watt) - YouTube before you put too much stock in the Stanford study, that was funded by those pro poison and pro GMO foods companies.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 PM

1,968 posts, read 2,412,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedserf View Post
You might want to review Stanford's Monsanto Ties Cast Doubt on Organic Food Study (Commentary by Alan Watt) - YouTube before you put too much stock in the Stanford study, that was funded by those pro poison and pro GMO foods companies.
Yep always follow the money...

Old 10-23-2012, 06:24 PM

14,382 posts, read 7,551,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Prop 37 = junk science. I voted no.
What does 37 have to do with science? It's about labelling!

Why would you vote yes anyway? To prove you don't care what's in your food? Talk about blind faith.

I know new-gens want to treat science like a religion, but to blindly allow corporations to taint your food based on their word that it's "good science" is crazy. New-gens/occupiers rail against corporations yet eat whatever they'll put on the shelves? Does that even make sense?

Food processors will continue to use GMO, as long as it's legal to do so. I'd just like the ability to opt out of it being in my diet!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,029,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
What does 37 have to do with science? It's about labelling!

Why would you vote yes anyway? To prove you don't care what's in your food? Talk about blind faith.

I know new-gens want to treat science like a religion, but to blindly allow corporations to taint your food based on their word that it's "good science" is crazy. New-gens/occupiers rail against corporations yet eat whatever they'll put on the shelves? Does that even make sense?

Food processors will continue to use GMO, as long as it's legal to do so. I'd just like the ability to opt out of it being in my diet!
Awesome. I guess pretty much every newspaper in the state is wrong then in advising people to vote against prop 37?

No on Prop. 37 Editorial Boards Support No Prop 37
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California