Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:06 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,224,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I would probably do the title work in Texas and not worry about saving a few bucks. Getting the California title from an out-of-state title is trivial and costs $15. Besides the title issue, this should be straightforward. When I came back to California after ~6 years, I was still in the system and they just reissued me a license. No tests, just a new picture and they invalidated by other license. For the car, they will just confirm that it is certified for CA and you will have to get a smog test.

You should be able to get this done in ~1 hour at the DMV... And I imagine you'll be more grumpy than the workers...
Hey there user_id, I missed you. I would imagine that since I haven't titled the car in TX, the CA title should be in their system, no? It seems redundant to title it in TX and turn around and re-title it for CA. Since it has always had a CA title, shouldn't the only issue then be registration?

Ouch, straight to the gut, nice jab there. I'm not always grumpy. In fact, I'd like to buy you lunch when I come back. A thank you for all the entertainment you've provided me via C-D forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I would imagine that since I haven't titled the car in TX, the CA title should be in their system, no? It seems redundant to title it in TX and turn around and re-title it for CA.
I'm sure you can do it just as well in California, but personally I'd want all the assets in my name before I left.

Quote:
Ouch, straight to the gut, nice jab there. I'm not always grumpy.
I'm sure you're not "always" grumpy, but your bad experiences at the DMV are more than likely the result of your poor attitude....not theirs.

But seriously, why move back to California? The ship has already sailed.....

Old 10-21-2012, 04:52 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,534 times
Quote:
I'm moving back to CA from Texas. My car is originally from CA and was registered and titled there. I have the pink slip. I have TX plates and registration but I never bothered titling it here. When I move back, what kind of issues will I have, if any? Well, there are always issues with the CA DMV. I still got to deal with them for two years after moving! Anyways, will this be a pain in the ass? Oh, also, the car is titled in my soon to be ex wife's name but it is now my car. I'd really like to avoid paying for a Texas title only to turn around and retitle and register it in CA.

Can have her sign the pink slip over to me and do a family vehicle transfer, I think it was a $25 fee, and then put it in my name once I'm back in CA? The car is paid off and I need to check the registration as it may be only in her name.

Also, will I have to take the written drivers test again? As much as I hate Texas, the process of transferring everything was very simple.

Thanks.
Ok you say title is in your x wifes name, with CA Title, but did you keep the registration current ? or non -op, if so not a problem, x signs off on the title to you, do a family member transfer. small fee, get your drivers license, yes you will have to take a written test, not all that hard . Did you get a Texas license ?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:

But seriously, why move back to California? The ship has already sailed.....
I have my reasons for moving back. TX is horrible and anyone who wants to live in this state, outside of Austin is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Ok you say title is in your x wifes name, with CA Title, but did you keep the registration current ? or non -op, if so not a problem, x signs off on the title to you, do a family member transfer. small fee, get your drivers license, yes you will have to take a written test, not all that hard . Did you get a Texas license ?
It was hard reading your punctuation. I think I figured it out. I did not keep paying CA registration because I was/am not a CA resident. I have a TX license and the vehicle is registered in TX.

The car being operational or non-op has no bearing on my registering it upon my return. When you leave the state, you inform the DMV and they stop sending you renewal letters. Why would my absence be an issue? Are you implying that you're of the opinion that I would need to pay registration on the vehicle for the time the vehicle was registered in another state? That is absurd.

Per the DMV:

What do I need to do if I'm moving or moved out-of-state and will be registering my vehicle in the new state of residence?

You must report a change of address to DMV within 10 days of the change. Use the Change of Address (DMV 14) form to notify the Department of a change of residence or mailing address for your vehicle, vessel, driver license, or identification card records. MARK the box labeled “check if registered outside of CA.” Billing notices will not be mailed if this box is checked.

If you do receive a vehicle registration renewal notice, on the back of the stub, state the date the vehicle left California AND the name of the state where new registration was obtained, and return it in the envelope provided. Failure to do so will cause any collection efforts, up to or including, wage garnishments or bank levies, to continue. Your record will be updated with the new information when DMV receives the notice. If you are moving out of the country and are going to export your vehicle by ship or air select this link here for more information.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I have my reasons for moving back. TX is horrible and anyone who wants to live in this state, outside of Austin is insane.
Texas is just one state out of 50. Regardless, I moved back to California ~6 years ago.....and in hindsight I think I made the wrong decision. Pretty bad place for anybody relatively young....

For Texas, I assume you have politics in mind, but things in Southern California aren't too different....

Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Texas is just one state out of 50. Regardless, I moved back to California ~6 years ago.....and in hindsight I think I made the wrong decision. Pretty bad place for anybody relatively young....

For Texas, I assume you have politics in mind, but things in Southern California aren't too different....
I'm not going to dive too deep into it, but CA is my only option at the moment and may only be temporary. OR is looking pretty appealing.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:42 PM

You don't have to dive into anything just pointing out the reality, California is a pretty terrible place to be right now and there is no sign that things will get better anytime soon.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
You don't have to dive into anything just pointing out the reality, California is a pretty terrible place to be right now and there is no sign that things will get better anytime soon.
I don't disagree for the most part. It does have my family and friends, which I need currently.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
It does have my family and friends, which I need currently.
Yes, that is what I thought.....but things have a funny way of changing. But hopefully things work out for you.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is what I thought.....but things have a funny way of changing. But hopefully things work out for you.
Thanks. My lunch offer still stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California