Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times

Advertisements

The question that needs to be asked here is why, with Obama's less than desirable approval rating would Romney even have to put up a fight at all? Blame it on the voters will only get you so far so if that's your answer, no wonder the GOP can't beat a president who even I will admit hasn't done as impressive job as we expected. It's time the GOP took a long look in the mirror and figure things out. I'm for Obama bit even I'll admit that there should be 10-12 toss up states, not the five or so that we currently have.

If Ohio goes blue, Romney will have to run the board with the other battleground states and it's unlikely he'll get them all. Romney needs to do what dubya did just before the election, shut up. With every speech he loses a point or two it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 02:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
They could start by going back to their roots and running moderates. Bloomberg or Colin Powell for example. A middle-right candidate like Nixon, Eisenhower, or Ford from back in the day would appeal to a lot more regular suburban voters like me than these nutty right wingers that have taken over the party since 1994. It's strange that as the country has become more educated and sophisticated the Republicans have gone with the creationist, anti-choice, bible thumpers.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:38 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They could start by going back to their roots and running moderates. Bloomberg or Colin Powell for example. A middle-right candidate like Nixon, Eisenhower, or Ford from back in the day would appeal to a lot more regular suburban voters like me than these nutty right wingers that have taken over the party since 1994. It's strange that as the country has become more educated and sophisticated the Republicans have gone with the creationist, anti-choice, bible thumpers.
I agree completely. What the GOP cannot see is that a moderate republican is appealing to more voters than a moderate democrat. It's why we had Ronald Reagan and Nixon etc. When the GOP went crazy in '94 they basically gave up a lot of their influence. However rather than realizing that, they simply began blaming the other side for doing what they were doing and they continue this till this day. To call Obama extreme left shows how out there they really are. Bill Clinton was more left winged. The nation is slowly leaving the GOP not flocking to it like some here would like us to believe. This process is simply accelerated in California but it's by no means unique to it. One has to turn off Fox news in order to be aware of this but we all know how well Republicans and facts get along.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree completely. What the GOP cannot see is that a moderate republican is appealing to more voters than a moderate democrat. It's why we had Ronald Reagan and Nixon etc. When the GOP went crazy in '94 they basically gave up a lot of their influence. However rather than realizing that, they simply began blaming the other side for doing what they were doing and they continue this till this day. To call Obama extreme left shows how out there they really are. Bill Clinton was more left winged. The nation is slowly leaving the GOP not flocking to it like some here would like us to believe. This process is simply accelerated in California but it's by no means unique to it. One has to turn off Fox news in order to be aware of this but we all know how well Republicans and facts get along.
When I was a kid the rednecks and Birchers were a marginal minority that nobody took seriously. Moderate Nixon/Rockefeller Republicans used to make fun of them and treated them as the nutty cousin in the attic. Was it talk radio, mega-churches or what that gave them legitimacy? I don't get it.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 PM

434 posts, read 848,777 times
You guys got short memories. In 2010 we had a referendum on Obama. With help from the Tea Party the Democrats were handed stunning losses. The Tea Party is still here stronger than ever along with the evangelicals and tens of millions suffering from Obama's economy. These groups with throw Obama out on his ear in 72 hours.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:38 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,538 times
Yeah I think you guys are exactly right, the Republican party needs to become more moderate in order to win in 2016. But with politics the way they are, it won't happen. Remember the whole etch a sketch controversy in the primaries, Romney was severely conservative to appeal to the party base in the primaries but then could erase all that in the general election and become moderate.

Obama will win on Tuesday; Ohio is no longer a swing state, according to the latest polls. When this happens, I think the GOP base will say Romney was not conservative enough. This will be to their detriment,as many Republicans are literally dying off and the demographics in America are changing rapidly. The only hope is a moderate Republican in 2016 but I just do not see it happening. Cuomo or Hillary!!

And the era of the Tea Party is over. Thank god.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 PM

Rave on some more. I am loving this.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:04 PM

364 posts, read 610,943 times
It's going to be awfully quiet around here about this time next Tuesday when all these lefties with thousands of posts are nowhere to be found. I for one do not intend to rub it in. Too much work to be done straightening out this Obysmal mess.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:17 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,538 times
I'll be here on Tuesday and looking forward to it!

Romney's Chrysler lie and hurricane Sandy effectively ended his campaign. Just ask Chris Christie!!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Harry Reid said today that if Romney wins the senate Democrats would block Romney's agenda.

So here's what I hope for: Romney puts out his hand and Reid spits in it. Then Romney has the gonads to quit this compromise and bi-partisan nonsense. Do what's right for the country and let the Democrats scream. Odds are that Republicans will win the senate along with the presidency and Reid will be history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California