Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 28,405 times

Advertisements

My fiancee is undergoing job interviews in Lompoc and I wanted to get an idea of what life is like there. I've done some research and this is what I've seen:
- Weather: Mild (compared to California) with lots of fog
- Beaches: Ok for walking on; can't swim or surf
- Things To Do: VERY limited; only a few restaurants
- Culture: Small town; everyone knows each other
- Crime: High; decent amount of gang activity

Some of these things had a mixed reaction, and a lot of the reviews were from 5+ years ago, so I wanted to get a better idea and some up to date info if possible. A lot of people also said not to live in Lompoc, but to live in Orcutt, Santa Maria, Santa Ynez or Solvang. We're both 30 and would be moving from Toronto in about 2 months if she got the job. I also have some specific questions:
1. Are the things I heard (above) true?
2. Should we live in Lompoc or another city? (Considering we would have to drive in everyday). What would the commute be like?
3. One thing that draws us to the area is the idea of beaches. Where and how far are there surf-able beaches (for beginners)?
4. What is the approximate range of rental housing prices?

I think that's all for now. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 11:11 AM

493 posts, read 779,602 times
the surfing is severly restricted compared to other areas of california because 1) vandenburg air force base to the north, and 2) private property, like the hollister ranch to the south, where the "locals" there are the biggest bunch of entitled richboy *heads in all of california, and trust me when i say, thats says ALOT. there's a campground with access to a beach that can get good, i think its called jalama. and you can hike down to tarantulas and other spots, but im not sure thats where i'd send a beginner to learn. in winter time there are some very good spots right off the highway, once you get past gaviota on the road to santa barbara. El Capitan would be a really good place to learn if you have mornings off.

my daddy grew up in the santa ynez valley, and i spent a little time down there as a kid, consider yourself lucky to be ending up in the california heartland, not some big urban area like sf or la. and i wish i had kept in contact with my family down there, alas, the surfings about all this guy in san jose can help you with, and that info might even be dated now for all i know.

edit, just for my own curiosity i searched lompoc surfing, and lo and behold there was a fatal shark attack at surf beach within the past couple of days. didnt look like surf worth dying over either. poor guy.

Last edited by CousinMaynard; 10-26-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,503,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
the surfing is severly restricted compared to other areas of california because 1) vandenburg air force base to the north, and 2) private property, like the hollister ranch to the south, where the "locals" there are the biggest bunch of entitled richboy *heads in all of california, and trust me when i say, thats says ALOT. there's a campground with access to a beach that can get good, i think its called jalama. and you can hike down to tarantulas and other spots, but im not sure thats where i'd send a beginner to learn. in winter time there are some very good spots right off the highway, once you get past gaviota on the road to santa barbara. El Capitan would be a really good place to learn if you have mornings off.

my daddy grew up in the santa ynez valley, and i spent a little time down there as a kid, consider yourself lucky to be ending up in the california heartland, not some big urban area like sf or la. and i wish i had kept in contact with my family down there, alas, the surfings about all this guy in san jose can help you with, and that info might even be dated now for all i know.
Jalama Beach is one of my favorite drives/spots in all of california.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm not too worried about a one-off shark attack; I think I'd start to reconsider surfing if there was a history of attacks.

Is the weather much different between Lompoc and the close-by neighbourhoods (Orcutt, Santa Ynez, etc.)?

Old 10-26-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn416 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm not too worried about a one-off shark attack; I think I'd start to reconsider surfing if there was a history of attacks.

Is the weather much different between Lompoc and the close-by neighbourhoods (Orcutt, Santa Ynez, etc.)?
cmon man, youre from toronto! you guys think vancouver has nice weather

lompoc, solvang, santa ynez, anywhere in santa barbara co is one the finest climates in the country, as long as your not directly on the coast, then youll deal with some fog, but nothing like san francisco say. winter time temps in the high 60s and 70s are very common. el nino years youll see some rain, if you end up missing the snow theres very high mountain tops that see snow.

and i meant to suggest 'refugio' to you as a learners spot. el capitan is a very good and highly treasured spot, so theres alot of "aggro" there and wouldnt be a welcoming spot to learn necessarily

Old 10-27-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
cmon man, youre from toronto! you guys think vancouver has nice weather
Haha, Vancouver weather is gold compared to Toronto.

From what I understand, the weather in November to about March gets down to an average low of about 42 and it's sweater weather in the evening. Is this true?

Old 10-27-2012, 09:04 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,879,427 times
When I lived in Santa Barbara we used to jokingly call Lompoc "Lompton" as in Compton.

Of course folks can be rather stuck up in Santa Barbara. It's easy to let all that money go to your head.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:31 PM

Because the way our coastal weather works you should expect cool nights and early mornings no matter the season, even down in san diego on into baja its that way. basically the california sun and the alaska current that runs down the coast are having tug of war, the 'winner' depends on your very exact location

winter lows in the 40s-50s, summer lows in the fifties.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,675 times
I used to live in Los Angeles area, and now I reside in Lompoc. Crime is low compared to Santa Maria and LA. Most crime -- persons know each other. ... I have always hated the attitude of Santa Barbara and Orcutt folk about Lompoc, especially since I grew up in LA area... and know what real crime and community is about... It is not all about status and up/coming establishments. Lompoc is nice and I am so glad I did not get a place in Santa Maria when i moved here in 2002. The fog is nothing compared to Ventura and San Francisco or even Santa Monica. If you are a natrual born city dweller, then Lompoc is not for you; but if you want quiet, like the outdoors, and like hospitality and kindness in the service/retail establishments-- it is for you. I love the outdoors, have a malamute and two horses and it is perfect for me.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,328 times
Lompoc California is a town like California small towns "used to be". It is quiet and I feel safe where ever I go. I am sure that there is "some" gang activity some places, but I haven't seen it. Most people here are kind-hearted, helpful, and hard working people. If someone comes here to live, hopefully they will add to the "good" part of Lompoc. Any place one lives can have crime or bad things attached to it, but I have been here one year and I am generally happy. It is true that the restaurants are "limited", but the ones we do have are WONDERFUL, especially the pizza parlor and the fish restaurant that looks like it used to be the one from England, Esquire Fish and Chips. I haven't been to a "bad" restaurant yet. Applebee's is a bit noisy and "slow" service at times, but we go there sometimes, too. We don't have malls, but there are big ones 30 minutes by car. We have a train station, Surf, that you can go to LA or San Diego or Salinas, San Francisco. We have commuter buses. Yes, there are surf beaches, but they are for experienced surfers--Jalama Beach. The burgers there are to die for! So if you decide to move here, WELCOME! You have plenty of bike trails, hiking. Good Beaches are about 30 minutes away. We even have a movie theater and all kinds of city-planned activities. Unless there is a rocket launch--where everyone goes outside to watch the latest rocket launched from Vandenberg AFB, Lompoc is a quiet town. I like it this way.....hopefully you will, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California