Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 01:16 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,388,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
An Arizona-based nonprofit corporation that made the largest anonymous campaign donation in California history must open its books to state campaign finance regulators for an audit, a judge ruled Wednesday.
Sacramento Superior Court Judge Shellyanne Chang ruled that the corporation, Americans for Responsible Leadership, must comply with the order in favor of the Fair Political Practices Commission, which oversees campaign financing in California, by 5 p.m. Thursday.

The corporation made an $11 million donation to a political committee supporting Proposition 32 and opposing Proposition 30. Prop. 32 would ban unions from using paycheck-deducted fees on political campaigns, and Prop. 30 is Gov. Jerry Brown's tax-raising initiative.

State regulators want to determine prior to election day next week whether the corporation has to disclose where it got the money to make the large donation. If the FPPC determines that the money was given to the corporation with the intent that it be used in California elections then the Arizona group must disclose the donor or donors.

Read more: Arizona donor group must undergo audit - SFGate

Good news, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,854,667 times
Too bad they couldn't have done the same the Mormon Church re: Prop 8.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,437,385 times
How is this different than SEIU Local 1000 in Sacramento spending millions of dollars to try to recall the governor of Wisconsin or Michigan or wherever and using California State employees money to do so?

And, although I should seriously know better than to even get into this discussion, Prop. 8 money came from millions of church members--Mormon, Catholic, Baptist and many other. I recall the attempt made to claim that the Mormon Church organization donated the money, and the anti-8 zealots would have done any kind of court case they could if it had been found to be true. I remember reading something about more money came from Catholics and Baptists than from Mormons, but that just didn't have the same political cache, because Mormons are easier to hate.

Returning to the original point, I've received recorded phone calls this week from various out-of-state politicians encouraging me to vote yes or no on various California propositions, so its not just corporations involved in our election.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 PM

From the horse's maw: Church Clarifies Proposition 8 Filing, Corrects Erroneous News Reports

Old 11-02-2012, 08:41 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,270,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
From reading the article it looks as though the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints followed the law and did what it was supposed to do. Also the Mormon church gave no actual money but what it did donate was less than a half percent of the total donated in support of Prop 8. I am not sure you can compare the two.

Saying that, even if the Mormon church had bank rolled the entire $40 million Prop 8 support, and not just their $180,000 or so amount, we would have known where the money is coming from. With the Arizona non profit the question is "Did they donate non profits money or is someone hiding behind the non profit and paying for an election?"

Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,157,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
How is this different than SEIU Local 1000 in Sacramento spending millions of dollars to try to recall the governor of Wisconsin or Michigan or wherever and using California State employees money to do so?

And, although I should seriously know better than to even get into this discussion, Prop. 8 money came from millions of church members--Mormon, Catholic, Baptist and many other. I recall the attempt made to claim that the Mormon Church organization donated the money, and the anti-8 zealots would have done any kind of court case they could if it had been found to be true. I remember reading something about more money came from Catholics and Baptists than from Mormons, but that just didn't have the same political cache, because Mormons are easier to hate.

Returning to the original point, I've received recorded phone calls this week from various out-of-state politicians encouraging me to vote yes or no on various California propositions, so its not just corporations involved in our election.
I guess the difference is that California has different disclosure laws than Wisconsin and Michigan. California actually makes you list your name

Cal-Access Searchable Database - Contributor Search (Who's Giving)

Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Also the Mormon church gave no actual money
Actual cash money or 190k worth of pizzas and whatever it is you people drink, it was still entered into the books as an expense.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:28 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,541,864 times
Quote:
"Our only agenda is to make sure the public has information to make their own informed decision," he said. Winuk said the purpose of state campaign finance laws is to require disclosure in a timely manner.
I find that humorous, as the no on 32 commercials seemed the most misinforming of the bunch.

At any rate, during this election especially, I think someone needs to take a deep look into how these commercial spin their props. The general population is just too uneducated to do their own research, and mostly vote based on commercials, unfortunately, imo. This goes for ads on BOTH sides of the political spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: