Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
nmnita, you're babbling nonsense again. The study conclusively proved that is simply not true in any meaningful amount in terms of net flow of wealthy people. You're welcome to continue spreading lies but know they are lies which have been proven to be FALSE.

Get that through your skull.
Golly I love it when people accuse others of lieing, could you give me an example of when I have lied on City Data cause I don't remember that? Most people do know studies are geared to prove what they want to prove and yes, companies have left Ca because of the taxes, so have individuals...I don't think we are talking only wealthy people, we are talking about middle class and upper middle class leaving...Are you going to say this doesn't happen just as you say I spread lies...??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
nmnita, you're babbling nonsense again. The study conclusively proved that is simply not true in any meaningful amount in terms of net flow of wealthy people. You're welcome to continue spreading lies but know they are lies which have been proven to be FALSE.

Get that through your skull.
Eh, can we see a link to the study itself before we demand that the study has conclusively proved anything? That way we can make our own determinations, rather than following CNBC's, thus actually thinking for ourselves.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
They do not relocate their physical self in any appreciable numbers according to the study. They may engage in tax avoidance or even out right tax fraud but the Republican claim that any appreciable number of people actually move to ****ty places (I.E. garbage red states) just because of minor tax differences is completely false.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Eh, can we see a link to the study itself before we demand that the study has conclusively proved anything? That way we can make our own determinations, rather than following CNBC's, thus actually thinking for ourselves.
http://www.stanford.edu/group/scspi/...tion_in_CA.pdf

There I googled the name given in the article which you were too lazy to do. I mean, it was in the article linked. Mod Cut

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-01-2012 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,335 times
some rich people left because of taxes. No study can denial that fact.
Many of them are on news too. Like Tiger Woods, Facebook share owners, millionaires that own small business.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 AM

566 posts, read 1,939,033 times
I didn't leave because of taxes. I left because CA slapped my industry with ridiculous regulations. CA lost 50 employed people when we moved our company.

But I would never come back. And that's because of taxes. The difference between California's 10.3% rate and my state's 5% tax rate amounts to my being able to buy a new Mercedes for cash every year - and pay for it entirely with the money I save by not paying CA taxes.

Can't imagine anyone being fool enough to pay 13% taxes (the new rate if moonbeam gets his way).

Old 11-01-2012, 11:28 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Can't imagine anyone being fool enough to pay 13% taxes (the new rate if moonbeam gets his way).
Not an accurate statement, by far.

It is important to remember, although few seem to take the time to discover for themselves, that the difference in total tax burden between California the state with the lowest total tax burden, Alaska, is 3.6%.

The following is an average, all things being equal, if you want to quibble, quibble with whom I am quoting, and why am I not sourcing my quote? Doing your research for you, does not make you better informed. On an income of $100,000, one can expect to pay $10,600 total tax burden in California. In the lowest total tax burden state, Alaska you will pay $7,000.

That difference, $3,600. That is about 80 cartons of cigarettes. Or 3 cups of Starbucks coffee per year. Or having two kids in hockey per season. Etc.

Remember folks, that is the lowest taxed state compared to California, your preferred eastern hell hole will have less difference.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

It is important to remember, although few seem to take the time to discover for themselves, that the difference in total tax burden between California the state with the lowest total tax burden, Alaska, is 3.6%.

The following is an average, all things being equal, if you want to quibble, quibble with whom I am quoting, and why am I not sourcing my quote? Doing your research for you, does not make you better informed. On an income of $100,000, one can expect to pay $10,600 total tax burden in California. In the lowest total tax burden state, Alaska you will pay $7,000.

That difference, $3,600. That is about 80 cartons of cigarettes. Or 3 cups of Starbucks coffee per year. Or having two kids in hockey per season. Etc.

Remember folks, that is the lowest taxed state compared to California, your preferred eastern hell hole will have less difference.
This is a gross oversimplification.

and what kind of starbucks are you drinking?

Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM

Let me add.... i don't think you're completely wrong, or on the wrong track - there are just other factors to consider to make your argument more sound/reasonable. Not all taxes are the same - not everyone pays the same taxes - don't only consider income taxes (sales, how businesses are taxed), etc.

If we want to have a fair debate, lets have a fair debate.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

Remember, if you pass the tax increase law, you have to pay more for sale tax too. It's not just income tax on rich people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California