Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They are also in denial.

You know the old; "There is no better place on earth than California". Not that way anymore. I am looking at the potential need to sell my property, close my office, lay off any worker who can't move, and open a new office in another State. It is either make money or move. Certain ones think business make sooo much money they can afford to be taxed higher and higher and higher ... and it ain't so.
Having owned a small business in California, I can sympathize. What may look good on paper doesn't always pencil out into what goes into your bank account. The more the state takes, the less attractive a business and providing jobs for others becomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 07:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Companies do such actions, when they put huge taxes that eat up the profits to the point they have to look for ways to beat the tax problem. Without profits people will not put in or expand businesses to provide jobs for the less fortunate. Companies are leaving the state and even country due to they can leave a city like Los Angeles and move to Texas as an example and cut their operating costs by 40%. That 40% means they can compete with other countries, and other lower cost states. It may very well mean the difference between making a profit, or taking a loss. It can be the difference between staying in business, or going bust. Taxes and the cost to do business, are what is driving one company out of the state every working day. Raise either one very much, and suddenly there could be two or more leaving every working day, and one of the companies leaving may be your job.

Tariffs lead to Tariff fights between countries. Our exports are what is keeping the unemployment rate like it is. Get a good tariff fight going, and we would have 20% unemployment in this country. Our exports are what is keeping the country going as well as it is.
According to Wall street, someone is still making a profit, record profits that is.... Historical high profits... Liquidity is the problem, they are hording the profits, and not reinvesting them back into the system... IMO this fact of the day shoots down your thesis.. Still don't buy it... Trying to compete with some third world hell hole with no society, just some factory in a jungle, with the workers living in huts, does not sound like that is where we should go...

I hear you on the tariffs though... My thoughts are to only penalize those that leave, or reward those that manufacture in the state/country... Either way...again, taxes are simply a lever to control the machine..

We had 8 years of doing it your way... It crashed the system... Keep thinking...

Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
The talk amongst business owners I know were all about taking a wait and see attitude till the election...

Now that the election is over... some are having to come up with a new plan.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
The plans are the reason it costs more than twice as much to rent a truck to move from California to Texas as it does to rent one to move from Texas to California. They have to get those trucks back to California to supply all the people that are moving out of the state, they are drastically cutting the price if they can find anyone that will move to California or other reason to get the trucks there.

With the new taxes, over the next few months expect the Texas to California rates to get real cheap.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The plans are the reason it costs more than twice as much to rent a truck to move from California to Texas as it does to rent one to move from Texas to California. They have to get those trucks back to California to supply all the people that are moving out of the state, they are drastically cutting the price if they can find anyone that will move to California or other reason to get the trucks there.

With the new taxes, over the next few months expect the Texas to California rates to get real cheap.
I know a person that moved from Seattle to Santa Clara and the U-haul was next to free... he thought they had made a mistake.

Don't think much of U-haul... I do, however, think they are are an excellent indicator of economic activity.

Never been to Texas outside of the airports.. have friends that moved there and say they are never coming back.

I've often liked Nevada and Nevada has been getting a fair number of Californians.. both retired and not.

Washington is interesting too... it would be just about perfect if I-747 would not have been tossed by the court...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California