Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Since the Death Penalty is still here why don't they start enforcing it. Richard Ramirez should have been gone a long time ago! Richard Ramirez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder how much his existance in prision has cost CA as well as all of the lawyers who appeal his execution on top of the costs to appeal it.

What a wonderful system CA has created
Serves everyone except those working and who have to pay for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
There are no guarantees in life. But in my opinion some of the funds will make it to the classroom.
Unfortunately, if history is any guide, more than some funds will also be stolen from the classroom to pay for all of the other toys that politicians like to play with. And they'll be back for more of your wallet when that runs out. :-)

Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Unfortunately, if history is any guide, more than some funds will also be stolen from the classroom to pay for all of the other toys that politicians like to play with. And they'll be back for more of your wallet when that runs out. :-)
This is what is so amazing about Prop 30 passing.

CA governements have shown us over and over that they can't manage money at all. Why on earth would anyone vote to give them more

It's like giving clueless teen money and expecting them to manage it responsibly.

Sorry to say this but the slight majority of voters in CA are not very attune to the way the CA government manages money.

CA Prop 30 Results

Yes 59.9%
No 46.1%

Last edited by TVC15; 11-08-2012 at 09:09 PM..

Old 11-08-2012, 09:04 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:

CA governements have shown us over and over that they can't manage money at all. Why on earth would anyone vote to give them more

It's like giving clueless teen money and expecting them to manage it responsibly.

Sorry to say this but the slight majority of voters in CA are not very bright.
Pretty much. Since voters make it so very easy for them, Sacramento politicians don't have to bother with actually attempt the hard work of real structural reform and budget prioritization, or setting up reserves when times are good. And then it's always shocking - SHOCKING, I say! - when we always end up on the same hamster wheel.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Of course tuition is going to increase over time...that is the way the world turns. Nothing stays the same cost wise and costs rarely go down. Your costs were not that high to begin with. Now they are reasonable for a college education.
It's interesting that you've been in this state--what, less than three years?--but you claim to be an expert on public education in California. And you definitely slam every aspect of it.

Quote:
I paid higher costs for my degrees and it was doable. Life is not a free ride at the expense of others.
Did anyone say that it was?

A 21% increase in tuition in a year is not reasonable. When the cost of a UC school today is what a private school was a decade ago, it's not reasonable and it prices most families with more than one child out of a college education.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's interesting that you've been in this state--what, less than three years?--but you claim to be an expert on public education in California. And you definitely slam every aspect of it.
Did anyone say that it was?
A 21% increase in tuition in a year is not reasonable. When the cost of a UC school today is what a private school was a decade ago, it's not reasonable and it prices most families with more than one child out of a college education.
LOL! Is someone upset for rocking their conditioned belief system?

Let's just say that I see more clearly than you on the education issues. I claim nothing of what you are trying to put on me Nice try.

BTW if tuition increased that much maybe it was to make up for all of the years that it had not been increasing. CA is pretty slow at coming up to speed on some things.

CA still pays below the national average for the same type of college and degree.

Remember this? Even with steep hikes, the Cal State system's tuition and fees total $6,521, still below the $7,186 national average for similar master's degree campuses.

These are just the facts and I am sorry it kills you that someone new to the state knows how to look them up rather than be a blind follower of the hype.

I'm no sucker that's for sure!

All I can say is you really need do your homework before you go to the voting polls.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:

Sorry to say this but the slight majority of voters in CA are not very attune to the way the CA government manages money.

CA Prop 30 Results

Yes 59.9%
No 46.1%

I am mad about this too, but there is another way to look at this. The numbers of students in public colleges, parents with kids in public schools, and school employees are huge. They are voters too. They voted for it because they believed the threat made by the Governor. Students don't want to pay more tuition. Parents want their kids in schools, not at home where they have might to hire a babysitter to watch which cost them money. And school employees want to keep their job and pension.

The bottom line is the voting electorate in CA has changed. These days it's all about: give me...give me....give me... and give me more.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 PM

415 posts, read 615,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
So no, I don't think jacking up the price of tuition and reducing class offerings is beneficial for anyone. In fact, I think it's one of the main reason that California's best and brightest are leaving the state to pursue their degrees in other states...
I'm dying here. Name me a state where a semester at the community college can be $17 a semester. Name one. I dare you. Please find one. I'm waiting. The only one I can come up with is some schools in New Mexico offer free tuition for people born and raised in NM, but NM actually isn't in the hole and actually isn't asking its handful of rich people to foot stupidity.

Young Californians are leaving California because the cost of living is bonkers. $3,000 a month for an apartment in a bad neighborhood in SF. $2,000 for Newport. $1200 for Anaheim. Those are one bedroom rates. An arm and a leg to register the car. Sky high gas prices. An hour to travel 14 miles to work in the morning. The view might be nice and pretty, but the traffic, the taxes, the cost of living are not nice or pretty, and there are plenty of other places in the country that are far cheaper to live in. SF just stole the highest basic rents award from NYC. At some point I'm sure California will become known as Taxifornia after the taxes get so bonkers that Massachusetts starts to look cheap. SF is already starting to give Chicago a run for its money. With the passage of Prop 30, CA now has the highest tax rate on people making 250K or more a year in the whole country.

I'm going to be more brutally honest as a person not native to California who will probably be headed back to Vegas at some point - California needs to learn to live within its means. Taxes yourselves to death, or go bankrupt, I could care less. But don't expect the country to bail the state out. Its not going to happen. If on the odd chance it does, there will be riots. No one wants to bail the state out, liberal or conservative. At some point some difficult choices will be made.

As to whoever said the tuition is unbearable, I'm laughing. I really am. Community college students in Salt Lake City pay double what California students are paying for tuition. My cousins in Iowa are paying three times what students here pay. And there is no BOGG fee waiver or CalGrant for the destitute in Utah or Iowa.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I am mad about this too, but there is another way to look at this. The numbers of students in public colleges, parents with kids in public schools, and school employees are huge. They are voters too. They voted for it because they believed the threat made by the Governor. Students don't want to pay more tuition. Parents want their kids in schools, not at home where they have might to hire a babysitter to watch which cost them money. And school employees want to keep their job and pension.

The bottom line is the voting electorate in CA has changed. These days it's all about: give me...give me....give me... and give me more.
Dear I am not mad about it...just amazed at it. Had no idea how reckless the voters would be when the going got tougher.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
I find it slightly amusing that the political divide over Prop 30 mirrors the nation's divide over the presidential election.

Those on the losing side seem to be scratching their heads in mystery, while those on the winning side don't seem very surprised at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California