Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I've known Lisa&Mike fer two lustrum...
I live just a short drive from where they are at. Maybe 2 hours at most. Haven't gone up there yet, but want to.

I LOVE what they are doing.

You won't see that on the CA forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I am also mystified at all the hostility toward California. The way I see it, people who are happy with themselves and their life choices don't feel the need to post repeated aggressive, opinionated, judgmental screeds finding fault with how others choose to live. These attacks say more about the personal issues of the attackers themselves than about the subject of their wrath.
Good point. There was a poster here, a former resident of CA who's apparently moved out of state recently, who used to delight in posts and threads bashing CA. He was sarcastic and belittling; I used to hate to log on to this forum. But joy, he said he'd move because he despised CA so much and he actually did relocate....and he hasn't come back to post about it (yet).

Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Tennessee.

A good thread to check out is "Going off grid in Tennessee". It will take you a looooong time to go through what Young Lisa and her hubby have done.
Thousands of people live off grid, and don't make a big deal out of it. My kids grew up off the grid, and snowmobiled 5 miles out to the old lumber mill where the truck was parked to go to school from November to April each year.

Plenty of Nevada ranches still light with kerosene and heat with wood.

Living off the grid is:
A. fairly common
B. not something to toot one's horn about.

My hillbilly relatives outside Boone North Carolina live off the grid, but they don't call it living off the grid, they call it living.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Good point. There was a poster here, a former resident of CA who's apparently moved out of state recently, who used to delight in posts and threads bashing CA. He was sarcastic and belittling; I used to hate to log on to this forum. But joy, he said he'd move because he despised CA so much and he actually did relocate....and he hasn't come back to post about it (yet).
Yes he has, via his second account that he's not supposed to have but does.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 PM

How can someone "live off the grid" in Nowheresville, TN yet post about it to a forum? I must not understand something.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
How can someone "live off the grid" in Nowheresville, TN yet post about it to a forum? I must not understand something.
Public library nearby "on-grid"?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 PM

Key word is "Nowheresville."

Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I've seen some pics of Lisa's place and read a little into the thread ....... but I'm puzzled as to what it has to do with California. There are lots of people in this area alone who have gone off grid, sometimes in scenic locations.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:25 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Weeellll, our home was off grid, we did have our own homegrown electricity and satellite internet.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I've seen some pics of Lisa's place and read a little into the thread ....... but I'm puzzled as to what it has to do with California. There are lots of people in this area alone who have gone off grid, sometimes in scenic locations.
The TN forum is boring, so he comes to where the action is and talks about... what else, Tennesee. One can only imagine how boring it is to actually live there, but I'll never have to worry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California