Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

Well, it's finally happened! I saw my first black widow spider since moving to the west coast (suburbs--San Gabriel Valley) two and a half years ago.

When I first moved here, I was terrified at the very thought. I thought they all had one-inch-long bodies and two-inch-long legs, were aggressive, liked the taste of humans and attempted to infiltrate every possible corner of any establishment a human dwelled in.

As it turns out, this one was big, or at least long--the legs were--but the body wasn't enormously bulbous like the pictures always show. But I'm pretty sure it must have been a black widow because of the hourglass mark on its stomach. I saw it hanging on a corner of my porch right near the front door and I moved closer, thinking I'd just swat it so it would run away (I don't like to run around killing spiders all the time because even though I'm terrified of them, they're not at fault just for wanting to be alive--and they eat bugs). When I moved closer I saw the red hourglass. I was like, HOLY CARP. I screamed at my husband, "That's a black widow! That's a black widow!" and he screamed back at me like a girl, "Well then kill it! Just kill it!" so I ran past it inside and grabbed a sneaker and, well, it's gone now, God rest its soul.

It was a semi-gnarly experience but not really quite as horrifying as I thought it would be. I do still have the heebie-jeebies a bit, but you know, one spider encounter in two years...that's really not so terrible.

These things don't kill when they bite, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 12:23 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Black widow spiders are reclusive and non-aggressive. They won't bite unless you disturb them. From what I hear, you don't feel the bite as it has an anesthetic. The aftermath of a bite is the worst. You get sick and can experience necrosis around the bite.

Another clue that you have a female black widow around is if you find a dead male. The males are smaller, skinnier, brownish with kind of striped bodies/legs. If you see a lifeless spider like this around, keep your eyes open for the female, which looks as you described with the black bulbous body and red marking on its belly.

Also be aware that juvenile black widow spiders have marking different than adults. Juveniles can have red or other bright-colored markings, stripes or spots on their backs. You might see a juvenile and not realize it's a black widow. Nice thought, eh?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:29 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
I think black widows are only really dangerous to very small children. Little children they can kill. Adults just get sick.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:00 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It was a semi-gnarly experience but not really quite as horrifying as I thought it would be. I do still have the heebie-jeebies a bit, but you know, one spider encounter in two years...that's really not so terrible.

You should move out here for awhile.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:05 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
If you saw one theres plenty more hiding here and there, the bite hurts and it makes you sick, I thought I was having a heart attack, my whole body hurt really bad, it lasted for 3 or 4 days.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:13 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
You got to be careful sticking your hands in gardening gloves that have been sitting in the garage or in a shed, same for old gardening shoes. Before I used gloves and/or shoes from the garage I would shake them out and take a look inside of them. You could also use those insecticide fogger cans too, just be careful not to overdo it if you have a water heater in the garage.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:33 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
I lived in CA my whole life and saw Black Widows everyday....I lived on a large piece of horse property. I would have never had to SEARCH for long to point one out to you. I have never been bitten. My grandmother, 100+ years ago was bitten by a Black Widow when she was crawling up to the top of their barn and she put her hand in a Widows nest. I think the odds are you will not get bitten!!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:59 AM

218 posts, read 708,357 times
The younger widows release more poison (they don't/can't control the flow and so give it all to their victim). It becomes more fatal the more allergic you are found to be to them. The closing of your throat can occur the closer a bite is to someones upper-body. WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA

Old 10-13-2007, 05:58 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,390 times
Personally, I just found the entire story vastly entertaining...JerZ, your posts always make me laugh. I could picture your husband like I was standing on the porch with you. Too hysterical! Thanks for sharing...

Old 10-21-2007, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,799 times
Default black widow spider

I have lived in California all my life (45 years) and had not seen a black widow until about three years ago. Thats when I started doing air conditioning repairs. Now I see at least one everyday. They are more often found in the outside condencing unit than anywhere else I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California