Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM

345 posts, read 1,030,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
SB used to be comfortable maybe during the 60's. I think it has been getting very slummy for decades now. In the 80's we used to hate to have to drive into SB.....I think it is just the cycle of bigger cities and society on a whole. Rome is falling......again.
Well I'm sensing it might be a theme with some of these larger inland cities. The crime is too high and I'd hate to think it was always like that.

What really sucks it that these are the few remaining bastions of affordable housing in CA yet they're sketchy and you need to be real careful what areas you live in etc. I'm sure you could find a nice pocket of Fresno for example and enjoy life there but you read and hear a lot of stuff that is not encouraging. Same can be said for Modesto, Lancaster/Palmdale, Riverside, Bakersfield, and even Sacramento.

Last edited by Billy Millennium; 12-07-2012 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 10:14 AM

131 posts, read 167,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The working Black, Asian, and Hispanic people are better off in Texas due to the difference in the cost of living. The poor are better off in California due to all of the benefits that the government will give them, and the cost of all these benefits is a major reason the taxes are getting so high that the middle and upper class WASP are fleeing he state. Any year now the Hispanic population will exceed the White population, which has fallen from 88% white to 38% white in a very few years and is falling fast. When they are gone who is going to pay for all those benefits.
Yo Darth -- so, lemme get this straight. You keep sayin it and I keep wondering:
Whites are the movers and shakers that do all the business and make the world go round -- like the wheels on my bus. Right?

And whites useta be 88% of the California population? Right?

So anyways, these 88% ubermenches white guys let 12% colored undermenches take over and ruin California? Really?

Gotta tell you, cousin -- those lily-white hot-shot ubers don't sound too damn uber to me. I mean 88% to 12% and they lost control? White guys sound like boneheads to me. Uber my ass.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkramden View Post
Yo Darth -- so, lemme get this straight. You keep sayin it and I keep wondering:
Whites are the movers and shakers that do all the business and make the world go round -- like the wheels on my bus. Right?

And whites useta be 88% of the California population? Right?

So anyways, these 88% ubermenches white guys let 12% colored undermenches take over and ruin California? Really?

Gotta tell you, cousin -- those lily-white hot-shot ubers don't sound too damn uber to me. I mean 88% to 12% and they lost control? White guys sound like boneheads to me. Uber my ass.
Ask the federal government how that happened.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Ask the federal government how that happened.
Show me where the federal government wasn't always a bunch of white guys supported in office by a bunch of business white guys.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Biting my tongue here, so suffice it to say a great part of it is political correctness. The rest is votes!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Biting my tongue here, so suffice it to say a great part of it is political correctness. The rest is votes!
Yeah? That tongue-biting crap sucks. Bandaids don't work for shirt on tongues.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkramden View Post
Yeah? That tongue-biting crap sucks. Bandaids don't work for shirt on tongues.
And gargling with peroxide is pukey!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Quote:
Actually, if you are an employee, expect a big pay cut and if you are a business owner, you lose the population density, so it balances out with the lower cost of living. In regards to taxes, sure you save some, but get ready for your property taxes to be 200-300% higher.
WRONG!!!! WRONG!!!! WRONG!!!!

What is important, is adjusting the income for the area by cost of living.

If we look at metro areas around the nation, for median income adjusted for cost of living, San Francisco and San Jose are in 24th and 25 place while Texas has three cities in the top 10. You actually increase your disposable income and can live on a higher living scale, by just leaving the state.

This is from the best years, and is even more so today. This is when people really started to bail out of California, to improve their lives.

List of Metro Areas By Cost Effectiveness (Adjusted Income) « True Cost – Analyzing our economy, government policy, and society through the lens of cost-benefit

All states median income adjusted for cost of living.

GeoCommons

Next you said, the property taxes are higher. WRONG. Remember that property is taxed on it's appraised value. Property Taxes may be lower in California, but lower for the long time residents, while the new buyers pay higher taxes. The other factor is, that most areas of the country where companies are moving to, have such lower prices on real estate the actual tax bill will be lower.

The businesses that are moving, are not the retail businesses that require a high population density. Manufacturing, IT, etc. are the ones moving that can do business anywhere.

The next thing, is that in California the part of California one lives, determines what kind of income they make. San Jose median income, is as much as twice most other parts of the state. In fact, a lot of people in California can move to places like Washington, Arizona or Nevada where a lot of people are moving and get a raise, as the median income in all of them are higher than California. Remember according the the U.S. Government California has the highest poverty rate in the U.S. with as much as 100% of the people in some small towns living in poverty. The incomes in California, are certainly not even, and only part of the people in certain areas are making high salaries. And then after adjusting for cost of living, most people in California are making less money than they would have in other parts of the country.

Los Angeles, California | Median household income | County Health Rankings

Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
WRONG!!!! WRONG!!!! WRONG!!!!

What is important, is adjusting the income for the area by cost of living.

If we look at metro areas around the nation, for median income adjusted for cost of living, San Francisco and San Jose are in 24th and 25 place while Texas has three cities in the top 10. You actually increase your disposable income and can live on a higher living scale, by just leaving the state.

This is from the best years, and is even more so today. This is when people really started to bail out of California, to improve their lives.

List of Metro Areas By Cost Effectiveness (Adjusted Income) « True Cost – Analyzing our economy, government policy, and society through the lens of cost-benefit

All states median income adjusted for cost of living.

GeoCommons

Next you said, the property taxes are higher. WRONG. Remember that property is taxed on it's appraised value. Property Taxes may be lower in California, but lower for the long time residents, while the new buyers pay higher taxes. The other factor is, that most areas of the country where companies are moving to, have such lower prices on real estate the actual tax bill will be lower.

The businesses that are moving, are not the retail businesses that require a high population density. Manufacturing, IT, etc. are the ones moving that can do business anywhere.

The next thing, is that in California the part of California one lives, determines what kind of income they make. San Jose median income, is as much as twice most other parts of the state. In fact, a lot of people in California can move to places like Washington, Arizona or Nevada where a lot of people are moving and get a raise, as the median income in all of them are higher than California. Remember according the the U.S. Government California has the highest poverty rate in the U.S. with as much as 100% of the people in some small towns living in poverty. The incomes in California, are certainly not even, and only part of the people in certain areas are making high salaries. And then after adjusting for cost of living, most people in California are making less money than they would have in other parts of the country.

Los Angeles, California | Median household income | County Health Rankings
But, But the weather is great, the State is beautiful and it has more land set aside for public use than any State.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
But, But the weather is great, the State is beautiful and it has more land set aside for public use than any State.
Yes. All those things are true. Ain't it just grand? But you'd rather sit inside and count your pennies huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California