Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM

345 posts, read 1,030,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Depends on where in Texas you live. Many parts of Houston, Austin, Dallas are great places to live and well worth it.

There are some very horrible places to live in this so called paradise of CA. You could not pay me enough to live in some of the non-coastal areas or the Central Valley.

You will also find that people are much more friendly and down to earth there. I was just there over Thanksgiving and you notice this as soon as you step off the plane.

But I always knew this since I am from there.
This. I love CA but a lot of places in Texas are simply better and not just the interior cities either. Obviously Texas lacks some of the natural beauty that comes with being a coastal state, but it might have more than you think. Minus the weather (although it's not bad in TX) give me Austin or parts of the Dallas Metro over most, if not all, of the Bay Area. San Jose (non-inland and super expensive) vs. Austin or Dallas? Please, both these cities blow San Jose out of the water and probably San Francisco too in many ways.

Really impressed with both these areas (for different reasons) from my short visit last year.

And I did notice the friendlier people and better looking women not long after stepping off the place .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,431,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Minus the weather (although it's not bad in TX)....from my short visit last year.
What time of year were you there?

Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,919,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Obviously Texas lacks some of the natural beauty that comes with being a coastal state
Texas isn't a coastal state?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,441,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You had better take a look at an Atlas of the US.

I lived 25 miles from the coast while growing up in Houston. Why do you think we get slammed with Hurricanes?

Coastal states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,202,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Just think, those high income people just have to move to some place like Texas, and get a raise of over 13%. Plus when you consider the cost of living difference, they can more than double their effective income in addition to that 13%. California has to worry that they won't leave and take their businesses with them, as well as take a lot of jobs out of California.

Oops, come to think about it, and realize that that is exactly what is happening.
I kind of agree with you here, the difference in taxes and cost of living is pretty significant for higher income folks.

And Texas has nearly 370 miles of shoreline.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,441,965 times
^ Good old Gulf of Mexico

I moved to Austin for 1.5 years and it was the first time in my life that I have ever experienced the feeling of land lock. It was a very distinct feeling and I did not like it.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 PM

345 posts, read 1,030,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What time of year were you there?
September. Beginning of the college football season . A bit hot but pretty good weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Well it is but for most people it doesn't pop up in their minds as a coastal state like California. When I think of Texas I don't think of the ocean. But that further explains my point in that post that it probably has more natural beauty then people think. I read some "Texas Tourism" type book that I got while checking out the state capitol. It detailed the different regions of the state, cities, and landscapes. Much more varied then I thought. Much like people not from CA probably forget about the towering Redwoods up north or the barren desert of Death Valley.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 AM

167 posts, read 278,051 times
More like your going to have to bend over and take it because its coming your way weather you like it or not.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 AM

167 posts, read 278,051 times
on the coast of the gulf of mexico

Old 12-07-2012, 01:35 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,752,250 times
Quote:
If your a middle-to-upper class WASP in Texas, it's obvious your life is going to be amazing there. But what if your a middle-to upper class Black, Asian, Hispanic, etc? There's a reason why many middle class Asians and Hispanic families are staying put while their White counterparts flee.
The working Black, Asian, and Hispanic people are better off in Texas due to the difference in the cost of living. The poor are better off in California due to all of the benefits that the government will give them, and the cost of all these benefits is a major reason the taxes are getting so high that the middle and upper class WASP are fleeing he state. Any year now the Hispanic population will exceed the White population, which has fallen from 88% white to 38% white in a very few years and is falling fast. When they are gone who is going to pay for all those benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California