U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM

11,726 posts, read 24,837,600 times

Advertisements

State says federal immigration-hold requests aren't mandatory - News - The Orange County Register

This is why I call 100% BS when CA claims that there nothing they can do about illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM

19,338 posts, read 16,734,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
State says federal immigration-hold requests aren't mandatory - News - The Orange County Register

This is why I call 100% BS when CA claims that there nothing they can do about illegal immigration.
You're right. But it's not just a California thing and it's primarily limited to certain localities regardless of the Atty. Gen. As in some places in California, many in other states also treat illegal immigrants as if they were household pets and protect them. The lack of will to confront the issue head-on is not just a California phenomenon but a relatively universal one throughout certain areas of the country.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 PM

131 posts, read 70,736 times
Yeah? How does this article identify any way the state can exercise immigration control? Immigration is federal law and as the article explains if the feds are concerned with an individual who has been arrested, they can request that person be held longer. It doesn't say anywhere that the state can determine anything about legal immigration status or deportation.

Now some of you on this board holler and holler about state and local expenses. Of which jailing is one. So if a penny-ante arrest is determined to be chiken shirt the city, county, state can turn em loose to save to bucks. And the feds have a policy of prioritizing the dangerous illegals top of list. You think local enforcement lets those bad guys go? Baloney.

Lemme guess: you are one of the white guys who is scared of brown guys taking over the state and country and world because you can't take a tan so good and that embarrasses you down on the beach.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:14 PM

12,962 posts, read 11,230,629 times
Ah immigration. Here's the thing that I believe should be addressed. Since the feds are about useless when it comes to this law like so many others, the states should ban together and nullify this law and take ownership of their borders themselves. We always talk about how the fed screws up and they have been for generations. What's forgotten is that the fed only has that authority because the states granted them that authority. Since the fed isn't being responsible the states should nullify the law and do their own border security. The federal government is so incompetent that AZ does it anyway without having gone through any process and the fed has never tried to stop them.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:56 PM

I should add I'm not making this a liberal or conservative issue. I think the federal government not working is the one thing both sides agree on.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:19 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,591,373 times
I own an on-line side business that seems to do pretty well with Latin Americans. I say let them all in as long as they have a bank card, internet access, and a shipping address.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:24 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,240,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think the federal government not working is the one thing both sides agree on.
And why would they? The biggest contributors to those in Congress thrive on a shadow economy. There's huge money to be made on illegals while the poor and middle classes gets saddled with all the baggage.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
And why would they? The biggest contributors to those in Congress thrive on a shadow economy. There's huge money to be made on illegals while the poor and middle classes gets saddled with all the baggage.
see, both do agree on this.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 AM

17,499 posts, read 14,170,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkramden View Post
Yeah? How does this article identify any way the state can exercise immigration control? Immigration is federal law and as the article explains if the feds are concerned with an individual who has been arrested, they can request that person be held longer. It doesn't say anywhere that the state can determine anything about legal immigration status or deportation.

Now some of you on this board holler and holler about state and local expenses. Of which jailing is one. So if a penny-ante arrest is determined to be chiken shirt the city, county, state can turn em loose to save to bucks. And the feds have a policy of prioritizing the dangerous illegals top of list. You think local enforcement lets those bad guys go? Baloney.

Lemme guess: you are one of the white guys who is scared of brown guys taking over the state and country and world because you can't take a tan so good and that embarrasses you down on the beach.
Ah, the race card. Sorry buddy, it's used so much now it really doesn't mean anything. What I see is this burger king approach States use to bypass or uphold Federal laws. Weed, gay marriage, gun laws and now immigration. Can States realistically trump Federal laws...or not?

For the record, even many Latinos are concerned with illegal immigration. Gasp.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...ration-reform/

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 12-09-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ah, the race card. Sorry buddy, it's used so much now it really doesn't mean anything. What I see is this burger king approach States use to bypass or uphold Federal laws. Weed, gay marriage, gun laws and now immigration. Can States realistically trump Federal laws...or not?

For the record, even many Latinos are concerned with illegal immigration. Gasp.

Insights on immigration: Is reform coming? Page 1 of 2 | UTSanDiego.com
states can't "trump" federal laws as you put it. States do have a process in which they can nullify a law. It takes more than one state to do it however. The mere fact that we even have to ask such questions is frightening. The states came before the federal government and granted certain powers to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California