Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
This ^^^ I agree Charles. We left California in 2007 and moved to Nashville TN. Huge mistake. The grass sure was not greener. We moved back to California in 2011 and feel alive again. I see so many people say that California is more expensive than anywhere else and that is just not true. I lived it and can tell you that Nashville was way more expensive. By the time you factor in the cut in pay, higher utilities because you have to run something 24/7 365 days out of the year. Our Car Ins and Health Ins skyrocketed in TN. Groceries were out of this world expensive plus the 7.75% Food tax and then a 9.25% sales tax.

When we crossed the California boarder it was Heaven. Better weather, better people, more to do, more money in the bank and have a much newer nicer home than we did in TN.

So yes; our quality of life improved 200% when we moved back to CA. I was born and raised in Fla but lived many years of my life in Louisiana also. I love Ca.
So California gets you from Tennessee and Tennessee gets Leonard from California?
Welcome back, BlueeyedCat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,205 times
Simple physical things seem to have great impact of perceived "quaility of life".. such as: not being rained upon every single day, not being in -20F temperatures, not being in 100F and 100 percent humidity, seeing sunlight instead of ever grey depressing skies... My quality of life greatly improved--in some ways--after moving here (and deteriorated in other ways): everything comes with a price. What I love about California is the Land--I don't like the way things are here in terms of politics/population/"culture"/civilization anymore--but the land is there and will always will be there.... so I stick for the land, so far--which is absolutely beautiful, un-comparable place. 150 years or so ago there were Indians living here... things change--who knows how many nations will live here down the road (eventually, the place will be completely reclaimed by bears/mountain lions, like it should be). In the meanwhile...I'm lucky for every day I can enjoy this land. I don't care anymore how humans live and do things on it, I can't change it or understand it...main thing is that mountains/rivers/lakes/forests are still there and I can enjoy it all, while I can. The civilization here only exists for a brief moment--compared to the lifetime of the land itself, and one can look at it this way....truly significant things that really matter, and less significant ones...

Old 12-19-2012, 01:37 AM

470 posts, read 1,073,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
There's really not that much difference from east to west, other than the climate. And the pizza is better back east. I think the only real outlyer in the US is probably the South, everything else is homogeneous, boringly the same.

By the way, small towns in California aren't any more expensive than small towns back east. It's mostly the coastal cities that cost.
ROFL ... We ordered pizza here a few times 8 years ago when we relocated here to So Cal, and found very quickly that they really do not know what good pizza is out here!

Jules

Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
ROFL ... We ordered pizza here a few times 8 years ago when we relocated here to So Cal, and found very quickly that they really do not know what good pizza is out here!

Jules
lol Very true, but it goes both ways. I have yet to find a decent churro on the east coast. But my personal favorite about SoCal: year-round farmers' markets!! No one makes better Greek food (outside of my family) than my favorite restaurant in MD, though.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
You guys dont know where to look, Ive had as good of pizza in CA then in NY or Chicago. Not as many of course, but its there. Regional favorites and stereotypes are always somewhat true....

Old 12-19-2012, 01:21 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
To those of us for whom "out here" is simply "here," what we grew up on is what we know and it hits the spot. Mmmmm... Round Table.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:41 PM

245 posts, read 545,381 times
Yes it has greatly improved after moving from Az. I love the fact I can go to the beach and not have to make a holiday or a whole weekend of it, I can also visit all the countless things California offers with great weather year round and not crying from April to October about 110 degrees and locking myself in a room with ac for 6 months straight like I would do in Phoenix, California truly is the golden state.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
To those of us for whom "out here" is simply "here," what we grew up on is what we know and it hits the spot. Mmmmm... Round Table.
A johnnie-come-lately compared to Shakey's.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
So California gets you from Tennessee and Tennessee gets Leonard from California?
Welcome back, BlueeyedCat.
Thank you jw2. Yes Leonard is really enjoying Tennessee. And some do. But there were many of us that came back to Ca from TN. We had a group that got together every week. There were close to 50 of us. By the time I left there were only 15 left in the group. I still keep in touch with them and 4 are scheduled to transfer back to Ca around the 1st of the year.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Shakey's was my high school hangout spot. I didn't mention them because I haven't eaten their pizza in decades, even though they popped up a mere 4 miles away a few years back. One of these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California