Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
My CHP cousin, who works out of the Fresno office at a resident post, is at ~110k per year. He takes his patrol car home and is subject to being rolled out of bed at any hour or in the middle of family activities.

The above won't ever be splashed across the Charlotte Observer because it's, well, typical and boring.

Exactly.

I work at a school district, I tell people what I do and how much I make, and they either say, "that's about right," or "you should be getting more."

People are jealous of my benefits however, but those too are being slowly eroded away.

But it's not the salaries we should be worried about; police, teachers and other state employees should keep making what they make.

What we need to address are the ineffective workers in the system and reform, retirement and health benefits for future workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
My first CDF Captain made 1200 a month in 1973. According to my handy dandy CPI Inflation Calculator, that's $6,251.81 per month in 2012 dollars. Y'know, back in the "good old days."

Where's the outrage?
I made $1079 a month as an Fire Apparatus Engineer in 1977.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
2012 dollars = $4,118.66

Current: Pay Code 1077: 3325.00 - 3849.00

Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
And for those munificent amounts we received the added privilege of risking our lives for the sake of others.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:32 PM

Cue user_id and his "firefighters don't have a risky job and are overpaid" posts.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:27 PM

176 posts, read 216,973 times
Base pay is not the issue in most places it is the total cost to the taxpayers. Overtime, pension, healthcare $$ are all factors which inflate the total cost. Per an earlier post, it is very likely the average "pay code 1077" employee cost the taxpayer substantially more than 40K a year.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Cue user_id and his "firefighters don't have a risky job and are overpaid" posts.
That sounds fun, haven't had one of those in awhile.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumble View Post
Base pay is not the issue in most places it is the total cost to the taxpayers. Overtime, pension, healthcare $$ are all factors which inflate the total cost. Per an earlier post, it is very likely the average "pay code 1077" employee cost the taxpayer substantially more than 40K a year.
That applied back in 1973 and 1977 as well.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
I've posted this before:

I'm a police officer in California. Specifically, the SF Bay Area. I have been for 24 yrs. I am a Police Officer. Not a Sergeant, Lieutenant, etc. My base pay is $99,500.00 a year. Throw in my incentive pay, I get 5% more for having an Intermediate and Advanced POST Certificate (issues of training, experience, and college education come into play for this), plus I get another 2.5% for longevity pay (working more then 10 years for the city I work for). I have no clue what the "math" for these incentives are.

However, understand my job comes with overtime. There are many times shifts go unfilled due to vacations, sick calls, training, etc and I do work overtime. In fact, I work ALOT of overtime. Because of this, one year, I made more money then the city manager and it was splashed all over the front page of our local newspaper.

HOWEVER, what MOST people didn't see and I received the backlash for, was the fact: I was working 6 days a week, 12 hour shifts. One period I worked 44 days in a row. Yes, I made just about 200K that one year (I've never done it since), but as others have said: You, nor others who report this junk, seem to realize the sacrifice I made for it. And before anyone says it: Had I not done it, someone else would have. See, in the area of public safety, you HAVE To have so many firefighters, so many police officers, so many paramedics, etc on duty at one time. The unfortunate price of this day and age is: Public Safety is EXPENSIVE. You are going to pay for it, one way or the other.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,170,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I've posted this before:

I'm a police officer in California. Specifically, the SF Bay Area. I have been for 24 yrs. I am a Police Officer. Not a Sergeant, Lieutenant, etc. My base pay is $99,500.00 a year. Throw in my incentive pay, I get 5% more for having an Intermediate and Advanced POST Certificate (issues of training, experience, and college education come into play for this), plus I get another 2.5% for longevity pay (working more then 10 years for the city I work for). I have no clue what the "math" for these incentives are.

However, understand my job comes with overtime. There are many times shifts go unfilled due to vacations, sick calls, training, etc and I do work overtime. In fact, I work ALOT of overtime. Because of this, one year, I made more money then the city manager and it was splashed all over the front page of our local newspaper.

HOWEVER, what MOST people didn't see and I received the backlash for, was the fact: I was working 6 days a week, 12 hour shifts. One period I worked 44 days in a row. Yes, I made just about 200K that one year (I've never done it since), but as others have said: You, nor others who report this junk, seem to realize the sacrifice I made for it. And before anyone says it: Had I not done it, someone else would have. See, in the area of public safety, you HAVE To have so many firefighters, so many police officers, so many paramedics, etc on duty at one time. The unfortunate price of this day and age is: Public Safety is EXPENSIVE. You are going to pay for it, one way or the other.
Was it mandatory or voluntary OT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California