U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:53 PM

108 posts, read 243,652 times
The state has improved 99 quite a bit in the past few years. A large portion of it s 4 lane between Sac and Yuba City. (You wouldn't go thru Marysville if you take 99 to Chico) You will have a few stop lights to deal with on the south side of YC, but the traffic flows quite nicely most of the time.

You would add quite a few extra miles to your trip by taking I-5. My vote is for 99.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 04:42 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,244,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2ca View Post
The state has improved 99 quite a bit in the past few years. A large portion of it s 4 lane between Sac and Yuba City. (You wouldn't go thru Marysville if you take 99 to Chico) You will have a few stop lights to deal with on the south side of YC, but the traffic flows quite nicely most of the time.

You would add quite a few extra miles to your trip by taking I-5. My vote is for 99.
I guess it was Yuba City I remember the stop lights from during my trip a few years back. I would be driving up late on a Friday morning, before lunch time, so it sounds like the traffic should be as light as it ever is during the day if I go through there then. So I'll definitely go up 99.

Thanks for the help - as I said, I've only gone up there once before, and couldn't remember which was worked best.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:37 PM

8,350 posts, read 10,926,693 times
Chico is a nice place to live if you already have a job lined up, or have retirement income. Bidwell Park is very nice. Best Buy, Lowes and Orchard Hardware were built while I was there and I don't know what's there now. I left in August of 2002. I was never able to get any type of clerical job. The businesses would rather hire a student and pay them less than an older person with experience. Even students were driving taxis! I had three temp jobs in the three years that I was there. Two were for one week, the other was opening and sorting mail for Blue Cross/Blue Shield three days per week for three months. I ended up starting to sell on eBay, and just hit all the thrift stores (all six of them!) every week for stuff to sell. I made more money than I did working for the temp services. I saved up the money that I made online, took a Greyhound (only two per day), one morning to San Diego, and I've been here ever since.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 9,838 times
A good climate of the south

Old 05-14-2009, 09:55 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,690,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto12 View Post
A good climate of the south
Yeah, good point...who needs verbs, anyway?

Old 07-17-2009, 02:24 AM

612 posts, read 680,364 times
Chico is great! Lot's of local produce. Very nice place to live with GREAT park, Bidwell. Hot in summer, but nice creek or Sac river to cool off in.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:13 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
7,000 posts, read 3,499,680 times
Chico is fine, although maybe a bit isolated and on the smallish side, considering there isn't another large urban area for at least another hour or so in any direction and there is no "freeway" located close by. The college adds alot as already mentioned, otherwise it would probably be just another agricultural town, similar to Galt or Lodi. And the Chico city politics is pretty progressive, unlike nearby Oroville, which has "potential", but is always feuding with the county government (also located there, along with the state prison), or trying to overcome its "trailer trash" image (not entirely undeserved).

But the size and "amenities" aside, unless you don't intend to go outside of the town of Chico much, perhaps you should look at the character of all the surrounding area? Because Chico is a veritable "island" of culture (such as it is), surrounded by a "sea" of redneck conservatism & religious Fundamentalism.

And contrary to the preceding post by a longtime Chico "resident", it ain't just the "asians & hispanics" responsible for local drug problems. Especially the local meth population, which is overwhelmingly poor and white and reportedly responsible for 80 percent of local crime.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:07 PM

108 posts, read 243,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Chico is fine, although maybe a bit isolated and on the smallish side and there is no "freeway" located close by.
I-5 is just a short 20 mile drive to the west on Hwy 32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Oroville, which has "potential", but is always feuding with the county government (also located there, along with the state prison)
there's no state prison in Oroville, just the County Jail.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
7,000 posts, read 3,499,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2ca View Post
I-5 is just a short 20 mile drive to the west on Hwy 32.
"Short" if you don't mind driving like a maniac on a 20-mile long, 2-lane virtual "onramp".

Quote:
there's no state prison in Oroville, just the County Jail.
The Oroville Correctional Facility is part of the State Prison System. It's technically a "jail", but that's for all of Butte County and also includes the overflow from the rest of the state's prisons. More important, it's the largest employer in Oroville, and one of the more charming "side effects" is it also attracts many of the "friends" and "kin" of said "prisoners", to the area and nearby housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California