Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Guess there's no other explanation for the 1.5-2.5 million times a year gun is successfully used defensively by the owner or a family member either other than it works.
Right. An intruder with a semi-automatic weapon with a high-capacity magazine breaks into your house at 3:00 a.m. Now some people might imagine that the homeowner with a Saturday night special in the nightstand drawer might be at a disadvantage...you know, with the intruder having the element of surprise and the homeowner being awakened from deep sleep, being disoriented and taking some moments to collect his wits. A sensible person might even think that there's no exchange of gunfire -- whoever shoots first prevails, and then it's over. But we know from TV shows that's not how it happens. The intruder breaks into the bedroom, and the homeowner, with his split-second trigger response and his shoot-first-ask-questions-later instinct, whips the pistol out of the nightstand, flicks off the safety and deftly shoots the rifle out of the hands of the amazed intruder. Turns out the intruder was wearing a black hat and the homeowner a white nightcap. That's how we know he'll win.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Right. An intruder with a semi-automatic weapon with a high-capacity magazine breaks into your house at 3:00 a.m. Now some people might imagine that the homeowner with a Saturday night special in the nightstand drawer might be at a disadvantage...you know, with the intruder having the element of surprise and the homeowner being awakened from deep sleep, being disoriented and taking some moments to collect his wits. A sensible person might even think that there's no exchange of gunfire -- whoever shoots first prevails, and then it's over. But we know from TV shows that's not how it happens. The intruder breaks into the bedroom, and the homeowner, with his split-second trigger response and his shoot-first-ask-questions-later instinct, whips the pistol out of the nightstand, flicks off the safety and deftly shoots the rifle out of the hands of the amazed intruder. Turns out the intruder was wearing a black hat and the homeowner a white nightcap. That's how we know he'll win.
Lets see, a group of druggies, armed, were doing daylight roberies of isolated homes. They attacked and injured residents. Then they met granny on her porch. She shot two, killing one and the police took care of the clean up. Strange but no such robberies have occurred in the area since. Knoxville, TN area

Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
You make little sense but I guess that's to be expected. Tell it all to the woman who just successfully defended herself and her children with a gun they had in the house for just that reason against an intruder. Sorry if you're afraid of them.

Gun rights groups say Georgia home invasion proves their point - CNN.com

Oh yeah. If your intruder with his semi-auto breaks into my house he will find himself face-to-face with two semi-autos; one in the hands of a combat vet and former cop and the other in the hands of his very capable wife.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 01-10-2013 at 08:29 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
uess there's no other explanation for the 1.5-2.5 million times a year gun is successfully used defensively by the owner or a family member either other than it works.
The stat is probably bogus I rather doubt that guns are used successfully to defend some one 5-6,000 times per day, doesn't that seem a little bogus to any rational person? and, remember dear fearful conservative who feels the "other" will get him without him owning promiscously firing weapons,
Quote:
people are 21 times more likely to be killed by someone they know than a stranger breaking into the house
Remember too, that half of all mass killings in the United States have happened since the assault weapons ban expired in 2005, half.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 PM

So do your research as you always tell others, my dear self-inflated liberal. But being far kinder, I'll help with something other than unidentified quotes to get you started.

Guns and Self-Defense by Gary Kleck, Ph.D.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Huh, dear fearful conservative, if you noticed I quoted my research, I find it worked pretty good.

Lets look at your assertion.

Quote:
uess there's no other explanation for the 1.5-2.5 million times a year gun is successfully used defensively by the owner or a family member either other than it works.
Take the median, 2,000,000 times a year, divide that by 365, we come up with 5,479 times a day a gun is used for home defense. If you feel that figure is accurate, well,,,, doggone, I would not be surprised.

Here, more grist for your mill.

Quote:
"Despite the widely held belief that guns are effective for protection, our results suggest that they actually pose a substantial threat to members of the household. People who keep guns in their homes appear to be at greater risk of homicide at the hands of a family member or intimate acquaintance. We did not find evidence of a protective effect of keeping a gun in the home, even in the small subgroup of cases that involved forced entry."
Now, even if guns helped in home defense, an assault rifle is not the appropriate tool. A Mossberg Mariner with pistol grip and modified magazine is a far better choice. One kills far fewer neighbors.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 PM

Sorry, my dear liberal, quotes without sources are useless. And anyone can cherry-pick.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 PM

51 posts, read 114,104 times
I guess I'll have to be the first to say that thankfully there were no fatalities.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,414 times
Several days ago former neighbor in ghetto apartments where I lived fired shots trying to hit another neighbor, after being confronted over vehicle damage, and then killed himself. That man was scaring the hell out of me, with homicidal threats and promises to burn people alive being yelled from his apartment on a regular basis and him jumping out of his place in a disheveled, drugged and raging state when I was walking towards garbage cans in the dark. What saved me from drug-induced rampages in the past, was the fact that I'm an athlete and it's noticeable, and I made clear my life would cost dearly, guns, knives, or else (sometimes I carried camping ax in open manner, to take the garbage out) I DOUBT his gun was a LEGAL gun (he obviously had extensive criminal history which would trigger Federal ban). I AM getting a gun now. The anti-gun nuts can burn in hell, hope they're next. I'm going to carry, prefer 12 to 6, thank you. If he decided to take out the rest of the neighbors, as he lived next door, and would go shooting rounds into windows, he wouldn't get past mine (in the ghetto that is was, I doubt he'd get past many, in fact). I've been under sniper fire, they never hit me--it all is a matter of fate, whether you get shot, choke on own vomit or get run over by drunk driver, get killed by incompetent doctor or die doing your favorite sport. Boo hoo, need to ban all things that can cause harm...guns, toothpicks, razors, nails and manicure scissors--they're dangerous, also glass bottles. Need to ban driving, cars kill. In China there were several incidents of mass murder in schools involving HAMMERS, got to ban those.

In the same area I also had 2 thugs trying to attack me in a laundromat...me telling him I got a gun on me and was going to blow their heads off and reaching into my bag chilled them out really quick. Of course a subset of KALIFFORNIA criminal police (serving the class of the rich) would be more interested in prosecuting a self-defending armed person than actual thugs. What really pisses me off about anti-gun nuts is how they want to turn it all into "claws and teeth" chimpanzee level of confrontation, sending most women onto the path of being easy victims for worst thugs. That's why I said I wish them and their family members to be next!! This would teach a lifetime lesson! I keep ready to face the animal-level defensive confrontation, if necessary, not relying on guns: one can't completely trust their safety into any device, so not saying guns would replace other levels of preparedness. And anyone whose car breaks down on rural road with no cell signal and not gun...god have mercy on them.

Last edited by alexxiz; 01-11-2013 at 02:10 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
I find my self in a bit of a pickle here... Total agreement with Curmy... and 1200RT.

Yes I am a gun toting, bleeding heart, greeny, peace loving liberal...

Gun control does nothing to address the problem... Why not discuss the amount of violence on TVee, movies, stupid f'n video games...

I bet dollars to donuts... Not one of these "shooters" ever been hunting, and actually killed a living thing... These punks are so disconnected from reality it is highly disturbing... Go head go out shoot a squirrel with a BB gun watch it squirm and bleed, gut it then cook and eat it.... It is not all clean and distant like on the stupid TV or video games... One learns real quick the brevity of taking a life..

Ban the video games ban TV violence... Not guns... I feel very strongly about having the ability to protect my family. Sterilize people who are not willing to take the time to raise their children teaching about respect and honor for living things.

Banning guns takes them away from law abiding citizens and leaves them in the hands of criminals, which empowers the criminal, knowing their victims are defenseless...

Concealed Carry Permit holders should be encouraged and rewarded for their service to society... Authority figures in school should be packing...

THINK about this people.... It is illegal to take a gun in a school and shoot people right? The people who do this have no regard for laws... They are criminals.... PLEASE tell me how gun control will help, it only impacts people who follow the law!

This pisses me off that we are missing the boat on this problem... Again blaming a chunk of steel for the actions of humans....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California