Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times

Advertisements

Every skewer has a point, as you just found out.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
These gun-happy punks and cowards don't have a clue which is part of why the law means nothing to them.
Why, yes! Like the freaks constantly prepping for war against the big, bad US guvmint, whose-a gonna come n' git 'em!

The US has the most guns and most gun violence due, in part, to the fact that it's also the world's magnet for immigration. Add xenophobia and loss of manly jobs to the old race stuff and it's hardly surprising that a very identifiable segment of the population has been getting increasingly paranoid about losing it's historic hegemony in this country, and aren't going down without a fight. Thus, they arm themselves to the teeth and yell a lot.

See any theme when examining demographics of all these mass/public shooters?

Quote:
The killers: Half of the cases involved school or workplace shootings (12 and 19, respectively); the other 31 cases took place in locations including shopping malls, restaurants, and religious and government buildings. Forty four of the killers were white males. Only one of them was a woman. (See Goleta, Calif., in 2006.) The average age of the killers was 35, though the youngest among them was a mere 11 years old. (See Jonesboro, Ark., in 1998.) A majority were mentally ill—and many displayed signs of it before setting out to kill.
A Guide to Mass Shootings in America | Mother Jones
Why are psychos getting ahold of all these weapons, anyway? Maybe the NRA, encouraging militias to arm themselves to stave off the inevitable Fed invasion, has something to do with it. (Funny, they keep blaming video games)

Quote:
America has a major angry-man problem.
How America’s toxic culture breeds mass murder - Salon.com

All too many (white) guys are using guns to redress grievances. Knowing that everybody has some sort of grievance, should we really believe that everybody, including Type-A hotheads, should be packing heat, all the time? Sure would put a damper on any possibility of civilized debate. Or wait...maybe there's a correlation between the decrease of debate/intelligent inquiry, and meteoric rise in manic gun-obsession in the good ole' USuvA?

Last edited by bigdumbgod; 01-11-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Why, yes! Like the freaks constantly prepping for war against the big, bad US guvmint, whose-a gonna come n' git 'em!

The US has the most guns and most gun violence due, in part, to the fact that it's also the world's magnet for immigration. Add xenophobia and loss of manly jobs to the old race stuff and it's hardly surprising that a very identifiable segment of the population has been getting increasingly paranoid about losing it's historic hegemony in this country, and aren't going down without a fight. Thus, they arm themselves to the teeth and yell a lot.

See any theme when examining demographics of all these mass/public shooters?

A Guide to Mass Shootings in America | Mother Jones
Why are psychos getting ahold of all these weapons, anyway? Maybe the NRA, encouraging militias to arm themselves to stave off the inevitable Fed invasion, has something to do with it. (Funny, they keep blaming video games)

How America’s toxic culture breeds mass murder - Salon.com

All too many (white) guys are using guns to redress grievances. Knowing that everybody has some sort of grievance, should we really believe that everybody, including Type-A hotheads, should be packing heat, all the time? Sure would put a damper on any possibility of civilized debate. Or wait...maybe there's a correlation between the decrease of debate/intelligent inquiry, and meteoric rise in manic gun-obsession in the good ole' USuvA?

Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Lol, if you two are done .....

Convenient error of omission. How can it be everyone else's fault if there were signs before the incident?

Quote:
The average age of the killers was 35, though the youngest among them was a mere 11 years old. A majority were mentally ill - and many displayed signs of it before setting out to kill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 01-11-2013, 03:29 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Since 2005, the NRA drive has pulled in $14.7 million to $38.9 million from dozens of gun industry giants, including Beretta USA, Glock and Sturm, Ruger, according to a 2011 study by the Violence Policy Center, a group that favors gun control.

The Violence Policy Center study cited an NRA promotional brochure about the corporate partnership drive, noting that LaPierre promised that “this program is geared towards your company’s corporate interests.”
Such a mom and dad and kids kinda organization, eh? I submit that the NRA is using its rank and file as pawns in the game, that their real mission is to support gun manufacturers and by doing so, essentially extort millions of dollars from gun manufacturers.

Quote:
Kayne B. Robinson, the executive director of the NRA received $1,079,185 according to the filing for that year.
Quote:
In 2010 LaPierre was paid $970,300 and during 2011 received $972,000 for his leadership and service.
Quote:
NRA's 2011 IRS 990 reveals revenue that year was at $218.9 million compared to $$227.8 million the previous year,
I think those up in arms (pun) about gun control are basically the running dogs of the NRA, led down the garden path by very wealthy men who want to be even wealthier and very cleverly play the fear card, to an audience who are psychologically susceptible to fear mongering.

So, Zhugie, I am at the VA hospital today in Los Angeles still working on my guts 40 some years after my fun time in the military. Since you are so profoundly in favor of shooting people, which branch were you in? Where did you see combat?

Last edited by .highnlite; 01-11-2013 at 03:46 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post

Convenient error of omission. How can it be everyone else's fault if there were signs before the incident?
That's why I ask, why are psychos finding it so easy to get guns? For example, patrons of the Bass Pro Shop where James Holmes bought his guns said the guy looked and acted bizarre when he was in the store at the gun counter, like a guy on drugs, yet he still got whatever weapons he wanted, right off the shelf.
Quote:
Public defender Daniel King has said his client suffers from an unspecified mental illness. And King has subpoenaed two witnesses for this week's hearing to testify about Holmes' mental state before the massacre, according to court documents.

Yeah, no **** the dude was out of his head. So why do we keep selling deadly weapons to guys like this?

Protecting one's Second Amendment rights is one thing, but can we at least stop arming whackos? We do enough of that overseas, and guess what? Our temporary 'allies' take our gifted money and arms and promptly turn them right back against us.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM

51 posts, read 114,078 times
When it comes down to it, if there is sale to be made, money wins out over everything else. Doesn't matter if he looked off, all that mattered was that he had money.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
T
Protecting one's Second Amendment rights is one thing, but can we at least stop arming whackos? .
Privacy rights advocates.

You know the ones who say: none of your business what I smoke, inhale, snort, shoot up (pun not intended, but ...), buy, or do and I ain't crazy and it is hurtful to tell me I am. That crowd.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Lol, if you two are done .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
People keep talking about mental health. Who decides the standard for that? What if we achieve that but the standards, by some ironic twist end up indicating that some of you who keep leaning on that crutch aren't fit to own guns? Will you still be in support of mental health being the deciding factor? Me thinks not. Be careful what you ask for.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

I think those up in arms (pun) about gun control are basically the running dogs of the NRA, led down the garden path by very wealthy men who want to be even wealthier and very cleverly play the fear card, to an audience who are psychologically susceptible to fear mongering.

So, Zhugie, I am at the VA hospital today in Los Angeles still working on my guts 40 some years after my fun time in the military. Since you are so profoundly in favor of shooting people, which branch were you in? Where did you see combat?
And this is why nobody here takes you seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California