Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:46 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
So people in Texas a dumb huh? Well, he's a link to the current rig count in the USA. California has 30, Texas has 812. In fact there's quite a few states that have many more rigs running than Calif. Penn. ND. Oklahoma, NM, WY. Calif. percent of oil rigs running is 2% of the national total. I guess, as far as most people are concerned, this would indicate there is no drilling boom in California.

energyDigger :: Image Viewer - US State Land Rigs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Not everybody, but the ones who can't stay away from the California fora seem to be a bit slow.
It would help if they'd get up to speed with the realities of California being the third largest oil-producing state in the U.S. ... you know, like ahead of places like: "Penn. ND. Oklahoma, NM, WY" that, while having more "rigs", produce far less oil than California does with its mere 2% of total rigs. Would make for a far more erudite discussion base ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Californias got a long history with oil. The oil patch in Bakersfield is the only place in California that reminds me a bit of west Texas. I gotta say, after recently driving from Ft Worth to San Luis Obispo over Christmas; the ugliest spot on the entire trip was the area before and through Midland/Odessa Texas. Someone mentioned Avenal, Ca earlier; it was an oasis in comparison. The only place as ugly to me is much of Nevada. Midland/Odessa has the smell of money(oil) in the air too. Massive boom going on there, right now. Trailer cities have popped up all over the area because of a lack of housing for oil field workers. Billboards all over offering jobs and bonuses. Basic motels are running $150-250/night.
San Luis Obispo County recently turned down an oil drilling proposal in the Huasna Valley. Of course the oil company promptly has sued SLO county for over $6 billion, for a "taking" of mineral right value. I have mixed feelings about it because I know the jobs and money it brings. On the other hand I know what a mess it creates on the land. I think if there is to be additional drilling in California it needs to be well thought out and planned. Agriculture is more important than more oil rigs.
So, no I dont think there will be any substantial additional boom in California. As others have said, California does already have a significant oil industry both on land and sea.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
It would help if they'd get up to speed with the realities of California being the third largest oil-producing state in the U.S. ... you know, like ahead of places like: "Penn. ND. Oklahoma, NM, WY" that, while having more "rigs", produce far less oil than California does with its mere 2% of total rigs. Would make for a far more erudite discussion base ...
Well, in ND booming up to over 600k total statewide population is big news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Someone mentioned Avenal, Ca earlier; it was an oasis in comparison. The only place as ugly to me is much of Nevada.
Been to Avenal. Can only imagine how ugly Odessa must be....

Old 01-19-2013, 03:17 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Hey Null...

Amazing is it not! More oil less wells..

However, on a good "month" ND takes that 3rd place position and bumps CA down to 4th, according to one report... However, output is very very sporadic, which is the nature of Fracking....

IMO the technique is still on "shaky" ground... LOL

Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Maybe some of you don't know. Drilling rigs are indication of Drilling activity. Pumps are place on wells that are already drilled. Yes, California is a large producer from its already existing wells. But this thread is about a drilling boom, not a pumping boom.

I've read all the comments and it still amazes me how people are so apathetic about oil wells, don't like the looks etc. Our country is one the way to energy security. Many are estimating that the USA may well be exporting, not importing crude by 2020. This means jobs, money and our money not leaving the country but staying here. Our cheap natural gas means some companies are moving their manufacturing plants to the USA to take advantage of it. Again jobs, wealth, prosperity for our country. It means we will soon not be so vulnerable to the greed of Arab sheiks. This is great news for our country and millions of people who will benefit. And remember, modern life comes to a halt if we don't have oil and gas.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I really find people who are more ignorant and misinformed as Texans. Your post is complete nonsense.
You really need to change your username.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Maybe some of you don't know. Drilling rigs are indication of Drilling activity. Pumps are place on wells that are already drilled. Yes, California is a large producer from its already existing wells. But this thread is about a drilling boom, not a pumping boom.

I've read all the comments and it still amazes me how people are so apathetic about oil wells, don't like the looks etc. Our country is one the way to energy security. Many are estimating that the USA may well be exporting, not importing crude by 2020. This means jobs, money and our money not leaving the country but staying here. Our cheap natural gas means some companies are moving their manufacturing plants to the USA to take advantage of it. Again jobs, wealth, prosperity for our country. It means we will soon not be so vulnerable to the greed of Arab sheiks. This is great news for our country and millions of people who will benefit. And remember, modern life comes to a halt if we don't have oil and gas.
Uh, the number of [rotary] oil rigs any place is meaningless ... likewise "drilling activity" ... the amount of oil pumped is the only meaningful measure ... and by that standard, California ranks where, sir?

A drilling boom is only meaningful in proportion to oil productivity.

As for "modern life coming to a halt if we don't have oil and gas" -- well, there is considerable evidence that our use of oil and gas will also bring modern life to a halt ...

Old 01-20-2013, 06:24 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
Quote:

I also find your post to be riddled with things I take issue with...

IMO... It is time we start the gentle slow process of separating the economy from fossil fuel... I find it in one sentence you speak of "Wealth and money" in the next you speak of "Arab greed" Is not Greed simply Greed???????? No matter who is the greedy one!

Yes, exporting is good, however "energy independence" is a fallacy.... It is a global economy... Recall how little ole Greece can rock the entire globes economy.... Comprehend?... Fossil fuel independence for N America or not, our economy is still a global matter..

That shale energy is not going anywhere... Booms are followed by busts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like Lemming our species is....

"modern life will come to a halt if we dont have oil and gas" Well maybe true...

HOWEVER, life it self will come to a halt!! If we do not have uncontaminated water to drink, and air to breath!! Additionally, we are in an extinction event, we do not fully understand the impacts of climate change and if our species can survive after the ice caps melt, and the ocean currents slow down greatly impacting sea life.......

While I am not a follower of Abrahamic Religions, some how this shale gas/oil boom reminds me of Eves apple in the garden of eden.

Yes, we have an addiction to fossil fuel.. Yes we need to extract some from shale... Booms are not good, balance is good, keep the economy puttering along, until we can free ourselves from our addiction to dirty energy..

Shale energy is a band aid NOT a solution..

Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
An excellent post True, Kudos. The pro oil great grand parents were convinced that we needed to keep harvesting whales for whale oil to light our lamps, and they poo poo'ed Edwin Drake's project.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Quote:
I'm sure lots of people in calif. would rather allocate that land to solar panels or growing pot: dummies. Try to run a car on a solar panel.
Actually what we do is put the solar panels on the house, then charge the car. /shrug

My brother in law and sister cut their pg&e by a third, and they have a decent house with pool and spa. YAMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California