Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:15 PM

8 posts, read 26,710 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate to California and from our web searches the houses over Victorville are still on the affordable range. If you can please give us some information regarding crime rate, highschool, is state university close by, jobs, cost of living, discrimation, and any other information that can help us make a decision. We are going to visit this month, but one week is not enough to see what you guys may have already known? Thanks for any info you can give us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 10:51 PM

76 posts, read 400,014 times
Victorville is not an area I wld not consider moving too. I use to teach at a middle school in the area and we always lived in Apple Valley. I am not sure what to tell you really about it, there are some nice people in the area but it also attracts a lot of rift raft from LA area that are trying to escape gangs and such. Our friends that live across the street in Yucaipa,CA moved from Victorville and they were both raised there b/c they felt it was getting too scary for them. It is a growing area with a lot of retail and dining going in, but they had so little before it is still not as much as most of so cal has. They have a rinky dink mall and the main road Bear Valley is overly congested so to get from one end of town to the other can take a good 20-25 min and it is not a long distance.

The nicest area in my opinion is Spring Valley Lake, it is as far out as you can be and still be in Victorville. Right next to Apple Valley. If you are looking I wld look there. Eagle Ranch attracts a lot of new people b/c it is a master planned community with new schools in it. However, they attend Adelanto School District- so make sure you check their test scores and reviews and make sure you are happy with that.

The nearest State University wld be Cal State San Bernardino, around 35 minutes down the hill on the 15. In Victorville there is a community college, Victor Valley Community College. Cal state does offer some classes at the community college but there is not a whole campus in the area. And a few private universities offer satellite campuses in the area also, Chapman and Azuza Pacific.

There is a huge foreclosure auction about to take place in so cal and there are a lot of affordable homes on it. Here is the link if you are interested;

Real Estate Disposition Corporation (http://www.ushomeauction.com/auction_details.php?auctionID=H-009 - broken link)

It includes houses in Victorville if you decide that is a place you want to continue to pursue. Personally, I wld suggest you look in other areas. If you like the idea of the high desert, Oak Hills, Apple Valley and Phelan are all nicer imo. Down the hill, areas such Yucaipa, and Beaumont are nicer. Not without their faults but nicer than Victorville imo.

Good Luck feel free to pm me if you need any more advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California