Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM

102 posts, read 585,740 times

Advertisements

Check out GreatSchools.net for school ratings in the area. The higher the better. I know stockdale and Centenial high schools are rated very high, might check out the elementary. Keep in mind Bakersfield, like many valley cities have a lot of sprawl. The city of Bakersfield itself covers 131 sq Miles and only has a population of 323,213, the metro spreads out even farther with a population closing in on a million. Compare that to San Francisco at 47 sq miles and 750,000 people. So you will have good parts of the city and bad parts spread out. In Bakersfield the better neighborhoods seem to be west of the 99 freeway. As for Temps, it does get hot, but the worst is only a few weeks in the middle of the summer. Over all, there is no snow, only a little rain, and lots of sunshine through out the year. The fog can be bad, but it depends on the year. Living in Palm Springs would be much hotter! Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 01:30 PM

152 posts, read 875,809 times
If San Francisco is considered a "trash hole" then I'm curious what Bykersfeeeld would be considered? A "trash hole" with a tiny bit of new money and a fancy new PF Changs?

Old 10-23-2007, 03:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,276,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Amen and thank God for that, the last time i was in San Fran. there was a bum at every traffic light bumming money and way to many druggies. What a trash hole.
LOL @ SF being a "trash hole" and not Bakersfield. Yes millions flock to Bakersfield each year for their world famous restaurants, scenery and excitement By the way Bakersfield has one of the highest Meth user Rates in the state. So...

Old 10-23-2007, 04:07 PM

635 posts, read 1,741,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
My personal opinion, stay were you are at, keep away from this armpit they call California.. this is no place to raise children.
Maybe you could explain what's so terrible about Bakersfield. I don't have a problem with criticalness, but puting the city under the rug without any detail is an empty tank of evidence for an "armpit conclusion".

Old 10-23-2007, 04:36 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,286,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
If San Francisco is considered a "trash hole" then I'm curious what Bykersfeeeld would be considered? A "trash hole" with a tiny bit of new money and a fancy new PF Changs?
Just giving it back to you, don't get upset

Old 10-23-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
LOL @ SF being a "trash hole" and not Bakersfield. Yes millions flock to Bakersfield each year for their world famous restaurants, scenery and excitement By the way Bakersfield has one of the highest Meth user Rates in the state. So...
Don't get upset, at least we haven't opened a drug house for heroin addicts, the OP asked about moving to Bakersfield not SF, if some one who doesn't live here has a stupid comment to make I'll respond.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:42 PM

152 posts, read 875,809 times
My original "stupid comment":

Quote:
It really depends on what kind of person you are (i.e. hobbies,education level, interests, etc.) It seems like certain types of people really like Bakersfield, just as certain types of people really like San Francisco. These two types are usually polar opposites by the way. You'll figure out what I'm talking about after spending some time there.
I was merely using San Francisco as an example, as many people imagine the majority of California as being like the major coastal cities (i.e. San Francisco, San Diego, etc.) Bakersfield does tend to be a polar opposite of the major coastal cities (in many regards besides crime, which is often worse.)

After living in many California cities, including three years in Bakersfield and regular returning visits to family, I think I'm entitled to my opinion about the place. It is infested with illegals, good ol' boys, gangbangers, obesity, and generally uneducated conservative republicans (I am NOT saying that conservatives are uneducated, just a majority of the ones in Bakersfield.)

If you fit into one or more of the said categories, yes it will be a utopia with lots of sunshine and filthy air. Not exactly the California people fall in love with on television.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:49 PM

102 posts, read 585,740 times
Lol, these convo's make me laugh. I think most people know Bakersfield is no San Francisco, but there are far worse places to live. At least Bakersfield does have some of the nicer chain resteraunts many people seem to love, BJ's brewery, California Pizza Kitchen, PF Changs Etc. As for a high meth usage, I'm sure it has it's issues. Just like many cities with lots of places to hide a meth lab in the country, you'll have more usage. However, its not as if your going to see meth heads everywhere you go. As I pointed out earlier, Bakersfield is a very spread out city. You have your good sections and bad sections. Live in a good section and you'll be fine. Besides, I recently read that Hawaii has the highest methamphetamine usage rate in the nation.
( Hawaii faces its meth problem (http://drug-rehabs.org/con.php?cid=3452&state=Hawaii - broken link) ), that doesn't stop millions of people from visiting. Some of the culture Bakersfield does offer is its country music influence, Its large Basque population, resturants included as well as many other cultural foods. The major perk is LA is only 100 miles south. Not a hard drive.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
My original "stupid comment":

I was merely using San Francisco as an example, as many people imagine the majority of California as being like the major coastal cities (i.e. San Francisco, San Diego, etc.) Bakersfield does tend to be a polar opposite of the major coastal cities (in many regards besides crime, which is often worse.)

After living in many California cities, including three years in Bakersfield and regular returning visits to family, I think I'm entitled to my opinion about the place. It is infested with illegals, good ol' boys, gangbangers, obesity, and generally uneducated conservative republicans (I am NOT saying that conservatives are uneducated, just a majority of the ones in Bakersfield.)

If you fit into one or more of the said categories, yes it will be a utopia with lots of sunshine and filthy air. Not exactly the California people fall in love with on television.
Relax, don't get all upset, if you don't live here then why are you upset? Why do you feel you need to insult the people of Bakersfield? Why would you even care? Maybe you could find someone to talk to and let all your anger towards Bakersfield out.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:52 PM

Meli292
I just want to say I'm sorry for causing trouble on your post, I just couldn't help myself, bakersfield seems to be a target for some people and i find it hard to understand because I've never felt the need to go to a thread and insult someones city or people. Bakersfield is a good place with down to earth people, we enjoy being located so close to many activities without having to live in the congestion.
Sorry, I won't respond to them anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California