Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,717 times

Advertisements

The most liberal part of California is close to the coast and near the middle of the state's latitudinal span (the Bay Area and its radiating sphere of influence). The northernmost third of the state is as conservative as the southernmost third, if not more so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
The most liberal part of California is close to the coast and near the middle of the state's latitudinal span (the Bay Area and its radiating sphere of influence). The northernmost third of the state is as conservative as the southernmost third, if not more so.
I would agree with this, though Southern CA has become less conservative over time and has its own very liberal areas, too.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 AM

130 posts, read 386,713 times
I would consider all of San Diego to be conservative. I personally experienced much more racism in San Diego than I ever did in other areas of California (Fresno, Sac, Riverside, hell even Yreka!). I remember when I wanted to go out, I would leave San Diego and go to Los Angeles.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:34 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,555 times
Default Geography Lesson.

Of the 20 cities on the list, not one is actually in Northern California. They are either in SoCal, CenCal, or, if you prefer this label, the Bay Area. The SF Bay Area is NOT NorCal, it is either just that, or perhaps more properly, North Central California. It is a very long way from San Francisco to the Oregon border.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:42 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Of the 20 cities on the list, not one is actually in Northern California. They are either in SoCal, CenCal, or, if you prefer this label, the Bay Area. The SF Bay Area is NOT NorCal, it is either just that, or perhaps more properly, North Central California. It is a very long way from San Francisco to the Oregon border.
Most consider anything North of Bakersfield to be Northern California. My union splits it at about hwy 198. After living in the bay area for 51 years I've always considered it Northern California. The Carpenters is separated by the 12 Southern, and 46 Northern. Also, when you consider California goes all the way South to Cabo San Lucas it makes your lesson a moot point.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:40 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,265 times
Quote:
You are spitting into the wind. California has two poles, Southland and the Bay; they greatly influence their respective regions, SoCal and NorCal.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:51 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,837,431 times
Quote:
Maybe the folks insisting on establishing "Jefferson" up there in the sticks might agree with this(even then, probably a scant few), but everyone for generations has agreed on a general split wherein the Bay Area is part of NorCal, L.A/S.D. part of SoCal.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:37 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,446 times
Um, I've never thought SO CAL was more liberal than N CAL. I've never even heard that. It's well known stereotype nationwide, that nor cal is very liberal-SFO, Berkeley, Humboldt, etc. SO CAL has more people so the overall numbers vary. But in no way have I ever been under the impression, when living in either N CAL or (as I do now) SO CAL, that so cal was considered 'more liberal'. SO CAL is considered part of the 'land of fruits and nuts' and anything goes lifestyle ideas/ideals/stereotypes. But otherwise, liberal and so cal are not two things that come to mind at the same time, usually. Political leanings and so cal don't come up that often, really, in my experience. Plus, SD and OC have been associated with conservative for decades, if anything political were attributable to so cal. And LA always votes democratic. But these are not bastions of political activism like the bay area or nor cal coastal counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California