Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 PM

3 posts, read 2,074 times

Advertisements

Ha, I choose where I want to live, first and then apply and I will get a job. Have a degree and a lot of work experience. As long as it's a town, with a good amount of wineries too apply for I will easily get on during harvest. Back to the point, I have been traveling harvest to harvest in different countries and states and looking for a place to settle down with. It has to have a good night life. So santa barbara seems like the big choice right now? Santa Maria and paso are really that miserable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,709,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim5000 View Post
Ha, I choose where I want to live, first and then apply and I will get a job. Have a degree and a lot of work experience. As long as it's a town, with a good amount of wineries too apply for I will easily get on during harvest. Back to the point, I have been traveling harvest to harvest in different countries and states and looking for a place to settle down with. It has to have a good night life. So santa barbara seems like the big choice right now? Santa Maria and paso are really that miserable?
Good luck hitting your rent target in SB.

Santa Maria and Paso Robles aren't miserable...

PS: Speaking of wineries. The Gallo winery here is fired up. I went outside and can smell it working away.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Good luck hitting your rent target in SB.

Santa Maria and Paso Robles aren't miserable...

PS: Speaking of wineries. The Gallo winery here is fired up. I went outside and can smell it working away.
Awesome, which of the two would you recommend? I kind of want to live in a big city, with a huge population, not seeing the same people over and over again. I hear Paso is kind of small. I actually have lived in Goleta before, and it is an option, but not sure if I want to live in that area again. We will c

Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,676,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim5000 View Post
By Degree, I meant specifically a degree in Enology not "just a degree". As for working at harvest. Field work is done by Mexicans. While it is true that there is a labor shortage due to the border enforcement of the last 4 years. Non Mexican Americans cost too much, not that their labor is paid more, but, they work too slow.

Paso Robles is a fine little town, Santa Maria is not "miserable" but, you need to research and find out for yourself what it is.

Quote:
A report on our Citizen wine grape picking crew. After a “Call to Arms” for local unemployed citizens to pick grapes that started in our monthly column in the Avila Community News and our blog inthevines.com, we were picked up by Cal Coast News, Lewis Perdue’s international “New Fetch” wine blog (you should get it if you want to know what is going on in the wine business worldwide), ‘Wines and Vines’, WineBusiness.com and by KSBY’s television newscast.

We had over 80 inquiries for the jobs. We had forty come in and fill out a five page application from which we picked 22 to come in for an interview with four of those not showing up. So we took the 18 remaining and started picking on a Wednesday. That day cost us over $500 a ton which is three times the normal. The next day it picked up a little.
We Need a Commonsense Guest Worker Program « Farmworkers Forum

Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,709,532 times
Now a degree in enology is a wonderful idea. And you can attend FSU for that. While actually working at FSU's winery. You would be 3 hours from the beach, but thems the breaks. Whole lotta fieldwork to be done around here also, and cheaper COLA than anywhere you are looking for sure.

Shoot, my brother-in-laws father might hire ya when it's time to bring in his crop if you want to get your hands dirty. He's only got about 10 acres (I think) so it's a weekend of work about when he puts the call out.

http://www.calwineland.com/articles/...it_eno_pro.pdf

Wine School Wars / Two of the best enology programs in the country are right here, but which makes a better winemaker, Davis or Fresno? - SFGate

Last edited by Senno; 01-31-2013 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California