U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
zdg
 
Location: Sonoma County, CA
725 posts, read 864,637 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Can anyone expand on the gang violence in Santa Rosa? Is it everywhere? or just in certain areas?
Lived here for 6 months and haven't seen it or heard it (first hand). Frankly, if I didn't read about it on CD or the Press Democrat (local newspaper) website, I'd have no idea. It must be pretty localized. That or we have managed to isolate ourselves pretty well in the more affluent hills.

I should really point out for reference sake that we were not on a limited budget and bought a house over a million dollars. If you're looking to retire in Santa Rosa in a house in the $300k-$500k range, I'm honestly not even sure what part of town that puts you in and would likely put you in a different definition of "retiring in Santa Rosa" than I can attest to unfortunately. Not saying that would be a bad thing; I'm simply saying you should discount my post if that were the case.

Edited to add: My sincere apologies. I just went back and re-read your original post and realize now you said $150-$200k budget for a house. I haven't checked the market in that range, but I imagine you won't get much (if anything) in Santa Rosa with that budget for a house. And if so, likely not in a very nice part of town.

Last edited by zdg; 02-07-2013 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Re-read OP just now and wanted to expand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Pahrump, NV
842 posts, read 519,415 times
Reputation: 478
northeast santa rosa doesn't have the gang problem. it's roseland or west 9th street type of areas that have the problem. if you end up in a yuppie part of town, you won't hear much about the gangs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:28 PM
zdg
 
Location: Sonoma County, CA
725 posts, read 864,637 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
northeast santa rosa doesn't have the gang problem. it's roseland or west 9th street type of areas that have the problem. if you end up in a yuppie part of town, you won't hear much about the gangs.
Right, but that was my point: I'm sure the gang problem exists here somewhere but Santa Rosa isn't so small that you can't get away from it. That was all I was trying to say to OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
97 posts, read 56,085 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Lived here for 6 months and haven't seen it or heard it (first hand). Frankly, if I didn't read about it on CD or the Press Democrat (local newspaper) website, I'd have no idea. It must be pretty localized. That or we have managed to isolate ourselves pretty well in the more affluent hills.

I should really point out for reference sake that we were not on a limited budget and bought a house over a million dollars. If you're looking to retire in Santa Rosa in a house in the $300k-$500k range, I'm honestly not even sure what part of town that puts you in and would likely put you in a different definition of "retiring in Santa Rosa" than I can attest to unfortunately. Not saying that would be a bad thing; I'm simply saying you should discount my post if that were the case.

Edited to add: My sincere apologies. I just went back and re-read your original post and realize now you said $150-$200k budget for a house. I haven't checked the market in that range, but I imagine you won't get much (if anything) in Santa Rosa with that budget for a house. And if so, likely not in a very nice part of town.
There are a few listings for houses in SR in the top of my price range, as you can see here:

6476 Stone Bridge Rd Santa Rosa CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #21207482 - Realtor.com®

If i had a million to spend on a house, i'd be looking at something like this in Mill Valley much closer to SF:

1248 Lattie Ln Mill Valley CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #21222968 - Realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
zdg
 
Location: Sonoma County, CA
725 posts, read 864,637 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post
There are a few listings for houses in SR in the top of my price range, as you can see here:

6476 Stone Bridge Rd Santa Rosa CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #21207482 - Realtor.com®
That's in Oakmont, which is a retirement village. I have heard it's nice enough, but nothing special. I know they had (have?) some issue with burglaries recently but they may have caught the burglars. One cool thing about Oakmont is it's on the highway to Sonoma, so you can be in Sonoma in about 25-30 minutes.

From what I've heard, Oakmont would be much better than trying to find a similarly priced home in Santa Rosa proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Northern California
159 posts, read 164,420 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Right, but that was my point: I'm sure the gang problem exists here somewhere but Santa Rosa isn't so small that you can't get away from it. That was all I was trying to say to OP.
The northeast part of Santa Rosa, as you said, is very nice, and I live here too. However I don't live in the nicest place ever (a two-story condo that's kind of old and has some shady neighbors) but still pretty nice for its price. No offense, but the South Santa Rosa area is a dump. It's congested, ugly, and kind of ghetto. Everything west of the 101 gets less nicer too, especially the area around Coddingtown, and parts of West 3rd, West 9th, and some of the area around Marlow Road are just not pleasant. As a poster stated, Santa Rosa has had its fare share of Latino gang violence, but it's mainly restricted to a few small parts of town and they only mess around with people who are in gangs, and less likely to harm innocent bystanders.

The northeast part of town, which some of is known as Rincon Valley, is definitely a very tranquil, quiet area. There's a few slightly bad spots but it's a really peaceful area with nice houses, and I would recommend it.

As you've said in a previous post, Santa Rosa is definitely boring by itself but has great access to other destinations. East Santa Rosa is only 25 minutes from the Sonoma Valley, about 20-25 minutes from Calistoga, 30 minutes from St. Helena, and the beautiful Russian River area is only 30 minutes away. Downtown Guerneville itself I'm not all that fond of, but I really enjoy the scenery of the redwoods in that area, and the other little communities like Rio Nido, Monte Rio, Duncans Mills, and let's not forget about Jenner and Bodega Bay being close by.

Oh, and obviously, San Francisco is less than an hour away, and there's nothing wrong with living a little close to it. A lot of great stuff can be done there.

So in essence, Santa Rosa can be a really great place to live. To work, live, retire, etc. It just depends on what neighborhood. Definitely recommendable to an extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:50 AM
 
3,003 posts, read 1,604,253 times
Reputation: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
$150-$200k budget for a house. I haven't checked the market in that range, but I imagine you won't get much (if anything) in Santa Rosa with that budget for a house. And if so, likely not in a very nice part of town.
I think you missed the market of opportunity for this price range in Sacramento. That price is hot for investors with cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top